Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gravel Mining The Vedder is on Again  (Read 24585 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Gravel Mining The Vedder is on Again
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »

Still continuing today, seems a bit late this year, note the hoe in the water in video 1. Sad situation in many of our minds when money comes before fish habitat.

Here is the  2 videos I filmed today, https://youtu.be/vcRlB6bvuR0
https://youtu.be/aj13jRub9Ik

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »

Sad situation in many of our minds when money comes before fish habitat.
Always has, always will. The good news is the authorities have agreed in principal to augment the upper river with lower river gravel every 2 years.  This in itself is a monumental shift from past thinking about gravel recruitment in the upper river, it's value to salmonids, and the necessity of doing so.

I'm told the major excavations in the Lickman road area is an attempt to divert the river away from the Vedder River Campground.  The lake that has been made there should provide a lot of area for spoon/jig/fly anglers in the coming months.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »

Still continuing today, seems a bit late this year, note the hoe in the water in video 1. Sad situation in many of our minds when money comes before fish habitat.

I watched it three times looking for the Coho in the water......Doh!

I wonder if their permit actually allows them to work in the stream bed?

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »

the major rainstorms we had last year in chilliwack was an eye opener of how badly the river needs excavation. it wears away the bank during high water/heavy rainfall creating what looks like a large lake between peach and lickman rd. During low water the gravel is so high it causes the river to be flat and fast flowing with few holding areas. looking forward to these new pools creating new fishing oppurtunities this season.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:57 AM »

Always has, always will. The good news is the authorities have agreed in principal to augment the upper river with lower river gravel every 2 years.  This in itself is a monumental shift from past thinking about gravel recruitment in the upper river, it's value to salmonids, and the necessity of doing so.

I'm told the major excavations in the Lickman road area is an attempt to divert the river away from the Vedder River Campground.  The lake that has been made there should provide a lot of area for spoon/jig/fly anglers in the coming months.
Glad they did this but as most of us know it is a PR move but once again it is one positive from a bad practice of gravel mining a fish bearing river.

Filmed this yesterday, a bit late to be doing so one would think with salmon in the river. https://youtu.be/gc-3-o5__h8

Pictures are on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page for anyone interested in seeing the scope of the mining. https://www.facebook.com/Fraser-Valley-Salmon-Society-111769675563789/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 04:48:24 PM »

We have been actively working on this file the last few weeks and have a number of concerned people and groups involved. We will be having a meeting of all those involved next weekend. Will keep you posted.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »

10 of us met yesterday after the tackle sale and a great presentation by given Dr. Marvin Roseanu. We in attendance did not know what a mess this gravel mining program is, no justification for it at all. More meetings coming up including with DFO early in the new year.

We will keep you posted here for those interested.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 05:12:27 PM »

10 of us met yesterday after the tackle sale and a great presentation by given Dr. Marvin Roseanu. We in attendance did not know what a mess this gravel mining program is, no justification for it at all. More meetings coming up including with DFO early in the new year.

We will keep you posted here for those interested.
please do. I like reading about important issues about our local fisheries.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »

please do. I like reading about important issues about our local fisheries.
After a lot of e mails and time we are finally getting a meeting with DFO, the province of BC and City of Chilliwack to discuss this issue. Meeting to take place in Chilliwack in the next few weeks.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »

Wait......... Isn't that the Hoffman crew  :o

;D ;D ;D ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »

Gold did someone mention Gold ::)
time to try some panning  ;)

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »

joking aside this must have an impact on the fish eggs that are in the gravel :-\
right?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »

The gravel was extracted from dry gravel bars. Machines were not supposed to be in the water although I think Chris showed a video of a bucket in the main stem.
I watched a lot of this gravel removal last summer and imo it did not impact spawning salmon.  What it does for rearing juveniles and the overall river itself is perhaps another issue.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »

One of the reasons they went so late and took so much gravel from the Vedder River this year was the need for easy obtained gravel for the construction of the new Molson's Brewery plant being constructed by the Sardis Overpass on A1 farmland too. :'( Of course that is another issue.

If you drive by you will see it.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »

Are you suggesting that river Rock was used for the concrete Chris?