Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bobber Stops-Sizes?  (Read 20219 times)

dave c

Bobber Stops-Sizes?
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »

Just last year I got away from the cheapo toothpick method and purchased some bobber stops.  I fell in love with them.  Just recently I purchased some more DNE with the blue holder thing.  My previous ones had a yellow holder thing.  I've noticed that the new ones slide WAY to easy on my line and I have to continuously adjust them.  I use one above and one below the float.  It is so bad that quite often on my retrieve the bottom one will slide down to my weight just from the pressure of the float on it during retrieve and I use a Centerpin so the retrieve isn't fast at all.  My mainline is 15lb Maxima.  Do these stops have different sizing to accommodate different mainlines?  Or did I just get a bad batch?

Shinny

Re: Bobber Stops-Sizes?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »

Bobber stops come in different sizes depending on what line your using. Sounds like your using the wrong combo.

Why are u putting one on the bottom of your float? If you just had one on the top you could reel the bobber stop all the way up and into the eyelets of your rod to make casting a bit easier. You wouldn't have a bunch of line to deal with and can run whatever depth you want.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:25:35 PM »

Yea I think you got the wrong size sounds like.

I pin the bottom of my float as well. Actually I use 2 bobber stops, a small bead, DNE floats, bead, 2 bobber stops. There's been a couple times I've set the hook and the float has shifted. I don't want to be screwing around with my float after missing a take if I didn't prick the fish. The bead is to protect the float from getting reamed by the bobber stops.

I pin the bottom of the float as well because there is times when I want to hold back on my drift and I don't want the float sliding down and lifting my presentation up at all.

dave c

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

Bobber stops come in different sizes depending on what line your using. Sounds like your using the wrong combo.

Why are u putting one on the bottom of your float? If you just had one on the top you could reel the bobber stop all the way up and into the eyelets of your rod to make casting a bit easier. You wouldn't have a bunch of line to deal with and can run whatever depth you want.
I tried just using one, however my once perfect vision, now with age, isn't what it used to be.  Because of this I cant see the stop when reeling and quite often reel it right through the first eyelet, which causes my once controllable temper to get out of control LOL.

Animal Chin

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:31:02 PM »

I have the same problem with those exact stoppers. I use 17 lb stren and the bigger stoppers won't hold, the smaller ones are tougher to get on but do work. I'm just going to use the smaller ones. I put the bigger one on the bottom, until I use them up, because it's less of an issue if the bottom one slides around.

I use a top and bottom stopper to save my float should I break off.

I do the bead thing too like Noah. Pretty much for the same reason.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:33:16 PM by Animal Chin »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »

yellow disc I believe is for 8-12lb test mono. Blue is for 10-20lb mono. Using the ones that are too small will actually damage your mono when sliding it along when your line is dry

Amundson also makes some nice bobber stops. They come in sizes S, M, L and how to tell is by looking on the back by the bar code for the S/M/L so far I like them but have only used L size on 15lb UG, I grabbed a pack of M to try out and see if they stay put better because the ones I have now do slide once in awhile

I do like the DNE ones but figure I'll give the Amundson ones a try for a season and in different sizes
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »

Just make your own stoppers using backing.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »

It's like $1.49 for a pack. Figure maybe 2 packs a season at most.
I'll stick to the stops.

samw

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »

I prefer the string ones as they fit on all lines, don't get caught in the rod guides when casting, and don't break off / wear out much over time compared to the rubber ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Bobber-String-Knots/dp/B003ZZMD1Q

Zackattack

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 10:00:26 PM »

Sweet! Gotta try those.. go right thru eyes without issue eh  :D

Would they sell those strings one at local shops too?

samw

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »

Yes, A&N and Berry's have them.

Sweet! Gotta try those.. go right thru eyes without issue eh  :D

Would they sell those strings one at local shops too?

Zackattack

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 12:13:40 AM »

K thnx

Shinny

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »

I can roeel my bobber stop up through three of the eyelets and still cast fine. I fished for a year not knowing this until my friend asked why I was hanging all that line out and not reeling it it...I thought for sure it would spool my baitcaster...he insisted it wouldn't. I gave it a try and he was right...no issues. Not sure if the same would work for a centerpin setup though...but if your using a baitcaster give it a try...just make the first cast a small one so if you do spool it's an easy fix, I have never spooled. Also the guys around you can't tell what length of float your using...it always looks like I am running a 2ft float to hook setup and I get strange looks but whatever...

Zackattack

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »

Haha ya I guess ive never tried that either..  :o
I was shown my first year to use a bob stop both above and below float which was a pain to adjust float and it obv couldnt go thru the eyelets. I thought I always had to adjust both stoppers haha, but also think the ones I had were to large to nicely pass thru guides.. Needless to say, I got fed up and have been fine with using the toothpick method ever since

But next time fishing deeper water ill try a small bobber stopper just above the float so I dont have to have so much line out when casting as you mention.

Its funny how you get set on certain methods and never think twice.
Ive also been experimenting this year with other parts of my setup for example split shot, vs pencil lead, vs sliding tungsten weights etc. But thats a whole discussion in itself lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:48:32 AM by Zackattack »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »

Yes, A&N and Berry's have them.

Look online and just tie your own using backing material. I've done it before but prefer the rubber ones myself

I fish them above/below because if your drifting along and slightly holding back on your travel speed your float will slowly work its way towards your hook. I proved this to a buddy that used to only use one above and now he fishes above/below. Next time your out and fishing and gently slowing your presentation keep a very close eye on your bobber stop and you may see it start creeping upward away from the float.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/