Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 87597 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »

Fished the New West area about 5 times this month right around 2 hours before peak tide most times and I am blown away just how poor the run seems to be this year.    In all my outings there I have two landed and two lost and I got completely skunked Saturday and Sunday.

In previous seasons I would typically get at least two to four on every outing.  What happened?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2015, 07:04:00 AM »

Fished the New West area about 5 times this month right around 2 hours before peak tide most times and I am blown away just how poor the run seems to be this year.    In all my outings there I have two landed and two lost and I got completely skunked Saturday and Sunday.

In previous seasons I would typically get at least two to four on every outing.  What happened?

Things change, less food out there in the ocean perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »

People shouldn't be too surprised by the lack of fish as prior to the opening the estimated return had already been downgraded to 6 million fish. Your catch rate of course will be a lot lower when the run is less than half of some of the better years. Salmon runs, like most other fish species with short cycles, can fluctuate as they are dictated by the abundance of both the lower and higher trophic levels in the ocean. Too little amount of food will result in smaller fish, higher mortality due to stress. Too many predators will result in higher mortality especially when migrating out as little smolts. If conditions improve, the ocean will yield lots of fish again in two years from now.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »

watched the river at low incoming on Sat in Maple Ridge, still a few pinks showing, rain started and I bailed lol

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »

I haven't been out for a week but the good reports of the last few days indicates the usual good runs in the last half of Sept seem to be arriving which is encouraging. It just takes a bit more effort to connect with good numbers of fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »

I haven't been out for a week but the good reports of the last few days indicates the usual good runs in the last half of Sept seem to be arriving which is encouraging. It just takes a bit more effort to connect with good numbers of fish.

Yes sir today absolutely confirmed my optimism. ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TimL

« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »

Fished outgoing tide this evening at New West..got skunked..no hookups, no rollers.  :P No one else was catching anything. Did see a good- sized sturgeon taking a leap in the middle of the river..very cool to see.

IMASA

« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2015, 09:46:39 AM »

Anyone fish along the Fraser in Richmond recently?  How's the activity?