Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burnaby Salmon Hatching - naked people everywhere!  (Read 9696 times)

Wool

Burnaby Salmon Hatching - naked people everywhere!
« on: March 15, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »

Not sure how the rest of the streams are making out, but, we have had the earliest hatch in years. The stream on our property has probably the best schools I've seen in years. Coho and chums everywhere. As other stream keepers are reporting it's looking good. Book your fishing days off in 4 years, it looking good. Please support your local organizations and clean up after yourselves around the streams and rivers. I collected a huge amount of trash over the last 3 weeks and it seriously affects the fry. For every minute you teach your kids this amazing sport be sure to remember taking them down too the streams and show how delicate these little guys are and where it all begins. I've had troubles posting videos here, but, if someone could I'd email a few videos of fry along with Chums and Cohos making the final runs in inches of water.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:29:41 PM by Wool »

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Burnaby Salmon Hatching
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »

--Penticton creek...volunteer kokanee hatchery... earliest ever... may have to feed a bit before release.
--As long as we don't get a blow out of the creek or some "winter weather" should be a high survival year.

Wool

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 06:37:19 PM »

I was digging out the pooled up fish until the rain last night. Just came in from a walk and everything looks awesome.
  Please remember everything you do outdoors has an effect. Car washing, power washing, fertilizing the lawn... Think before you spill. Please.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »

I was digging out the pooled up fish until the rain last night. Just came in from a walk and everything looks awesome.
  Please remember everything you do outdoors has an effect. Car washing, power washing, fertilizing the lawn... Think before you spill. Please.
Great post Wool, and good on ya! Just out of curiosity, what stream are you talking about?

Wool

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:06 PM »

Stoney Creek and Tributaries. We have a small leg near SFU. Absolutely incredible. The Stoney Creek Stream Keepers organization are the real heros of what goes on with Salmon send offs and counts. They can always use help or donations if anyone is able. These guys are surely responsible for getting the fish in and out safely, dealing with the people and politics regarding this area.
  People should seriously think about supporting their own local organizations with simple things like a dollar or two, any waders and boots, garbage bags, old rain gear, stationaries ( pens paper...), the time of simply picking up after yourself out at the rivers and parks. these people, completely voluntary, are the prime reason we all have the incredible fishing we all enjoy. Please support these organizations.
  I fish the Vedder, as so many of us do; I can only imagine what volunteers must go thru to keep this monster running smooth... I am so appreciative.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Burnaby Salmon Hatching - naked people everywhere!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:58:38 PM »

I worked on Stoney Creek back in the 90's, we used it as a comparison site for contaminate work on the Brunette; it's good to hear this little urban gem is still producing fish, thanks to people like you and the Stoney Creek Streamkeepers.
Props to you!

Wool

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »

Big battle with SFU over old salt storage. John Templeton is heading up the organization for his term and working on things like trying to get a baffle system on our leg thru a large culvert, under our road. The idea is to move the fish further up the mountain. He's a great guy that cares.
  I personally counted over 40 beautiful chum this year downstream of us. the most obvious look outs for this system would be the dam at Burnaby lake. I counted over 100 fish at one count. Problem with the coho count is the move more at night and stay under the washouts.
  People should take the kids and see the fish use the ladder at this dam. Amazing.
  Contaminents are mostly from urban spills and pollution. People just need to care a little bit and remember what we have.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:21:47 PM by Wool »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:31:10 PM »

That's nice about the salmon, but where are the naked people?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »

That's nice about the salmon, but where are the naked people?

We're all over 50. Do you really want to see all that cottage cheese and rolls?
http://

Wool

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »

If the donations are good enough I'd walk the stream bare assed. Lol

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »

don't mean to throw the proverbial 't**d' in the punch bowl, but there are reports our mild winter was related to warm ocean temperatures in the North Pacific and the Gulf of Alaska. This usually reduces ocean fertility and so drops productivity. Also southern warm water predators (ie mackerel) may move north into salmon migration routes and nursery zones. All those new young fish may find little to eat and much that wants to eat them. Coho may get a break since they stay in stream for at least a year. Still lots of fry doesn't necessarily translate to big returns of adult fish 3 or 4 years down the road.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »

Stoney Creek and Tributaries. We have a small leg near SFU. Absolutely incredible.

When I was a student at SFU, I did a "study" on one of the artificial spawning sites created on stoney creek. Spent six or so days over a month on a section of the creek, "studying" the composition of the gravel at this site. I remember there was one deep pool (3-4 feet deep, if not a tad deeper) where it was not uncommon to see trout up to 10 inches in there. :)

Always good to hear this creek is doing well. :)

Wool

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »

Not anymore its gone. Just snakes and poisonous spiders.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:55:58 PM by Wool »

Wool

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »

don't mean to throw the proverbial 't**d' in the punch bowl, but there are reports our mild winter was related to warm ocean temperatures in the North Pacific and the Gulf of Alaska. This usually reduces ocean fertility and so drops productivity. Also southern warm water predators (ie mackerel) may move north into salmon migration routes and nursery zones. All those new young fish may find little to eat and much that wants to eat them. Coho may get a break since they stay in stream for at least a year. Still lots of fry doesn't necessarily translate to big returns of adult fish 3 or 4 years down the road.

Chum fry hold in the stream until fall then make their way down to the Brunette where the hold for sometime. I believe it's the same with the Coho. It will be interesting to count the returns In 4-5 yrs for both.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »

I believe chum go out to the estuary within a few weeks or less of emerging from the gravel. Much will depend on how extended this period of warm ocean water (El Nino) lasts. Extended El Ninos that lasted 2 or 3 years took place in the 80s and 90s. Some salmon and steelhead runs were disastrous.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.