Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What can be done to stop mining On the Fraser and waste dumps on the Vedder?  (Read 9278 times)

Wool

We all say no, but, it seems pointless. I spoke with my MLA from the Burnaby North office and it seemed like I was speaking with my 7 yr old. " Hands are tied, we disagree, blame the Liberals. Write to Victoria and have a great day I have another call"
  Seriously, what can be done?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:06:27 PM by Wool »

BCLAX

http://www.bcfdf.com/home.html

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/

http://www.fraservalleysalmonsociety.ca/

Groups like these work to help protect are local waterways and wild runs of salmon and steelhead. These are the 3 that come to mind. If we make enough noise they have to listen, hopefully...

Wool

Who are "they"? By my read, I don't see anything being done.
  Think this thru, I was threatened to be fined in a public park nowhere near another person for having a cigarette, I separate my garbage, recycle and will be fined if food waste is found in my regular trash, pay enviro fees for just about anything bought... Regulations and fines are everyday things that we all live with; keeps the masses in order which I understand, but, with regards to mining spills and hazardous wastes sites on prestine eviromental resources such as the Vedder and our poor Fraser being destroyed I ask again, who are "they", and where are the real fines and accountability for the corporations and especially, their owners / directors / management, as well as government officials?
  I'm not ranting, I just want to know what significant thing can be done?. I belong to all the organizations, I have a salmon bearing stream 10 feet from my back door, the spawning fish and the fry are a part of our family which we invest a huge amount of time to protect. Which organization is going to phone "they" and put a stop to drastic, damaging projects? I'm as guilty as anyone, with shrugging shoulders, and hoping for the best. What does anyone think?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:29:30 PM by Wool »

Wool

Chris, I've read everything you've posted, follow your cause, but, it's seems tough to swallow we need signatures and bumper stickers to even have acknowledgement before purely idiotic plans are passed.  In a brief 30 second blurb on the news, it was reported more mining holding ponds are in the same situation to rupture and send contaminants into the Fraser. I didn't hear anybody fined, or a solution given and action plan implemented to stop another inevitable dump of waste. Who signed the building permit? Who's accountable? I ask what perposal lately has been definitely stopped due to public opinion?

Dave

• Old Timer

http://www.watershed-watch.org/
Chris, other than opposing the necessary recycling plant here in Chilliwack, what is watershed watch really doing to stop garbage entering our rivers, or assisting FN to find alternate revenue sources??  What are they doing to bolster the CVRCS?? All I see them doing is opposing just about everything necessary to the needs of people today; and of course totally against fish farms ... and that is likely the reason you linked their website ::)

Wool

Dave, the question isn't what are organizations doing, ask yourself how can a question be spun to deflect the obvious point trying to be made. Are you implying watershed watch is to blame for a dump?  Please elaborate.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:24:43 PM by Wool »

Dave

• Old Timer

'

Dave

• Old Timer

Are you implying watershed watch is to blame for a dump?  Please elaborate.
>:( No, I'm not implying that, and elaborate what?

Wool

Chris, other than opposing the necessary recycling plant here in Chilliwack, what is watershed watch really doing to stop garbage entering our rivers, or assisting FN to find alternate revenue sources??  What are they doing to bolster the CVRCS?? All I see them doing is opposing just about everything necessary to the needs of people today; and of course totally against fish farms ... and that is likely the reason you linked their website

Sorry Dave maybe I read this wrong.

Wool

Is there no other sensible solutions to people's needs other then destroying natural resources?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Chris, other than opposing the necessary recycling plant here in Chilliwack, what is watershed watch really doing to stop garbage entering our rivers, or assisting FN to find alternate revenue sources??  What are they doing to bolster the CVRCS?? All I see them doing is opposing just about everything necessary to the needs of people today; and of course totally against fish farms ... and that is likely the reason you linked their website

Sorry Dave maybe I read this wrong.
Just providing some links to what some are doing to try and make things better, they donot have it all right but they are doing the best they can to try and help the direction we are going on this earth which is not good.

The good part, in our country if some people think things should be done differently and can put the time and energy into it they certainly can do that. I know being a volunteer is very time consuming and as I near my 72 year my time of doing what I have tried to do to the best of my ability for a number of years is nearing its end.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Further to my note above, a number of groups the last few months have come together under one umbella to try improve the garbage dumping issue. They have held 2 meetings and will have info out to the public soon how they can help out.

They are Fraser Riverkeeper, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, City of Chilliwack, Fraser Valley Regional District, CO Service, Woodtone, and Chiiliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society.All trying their best and not just sitting back and letting it happen.

Wool

Chris, 271 looks with 3 comments. Humpy had more activity on his 3106 rod in the for sale section. Where do we start?