Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Copper/gold mine tailings pond failure contaminates the Quesnel lake watershed  (Read 47363 times)

StillAqua

So much for earth filled dams.......right down the Fraser River pipe at the peak of salmon migration.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1490361/tailings-pond-breach-at-mount-polley-mine-near-likely-bc/

SkagitDreamer

What a tragic catastrophe.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

GENERAL-SHERMAN

disgusting.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I wonder how the toxic spill that happened today into the Quensel River that will enter the Fraser will effect the salmon runs especially the sockeye that spawn there, sad that this happened. I heard on the news fish are dying now, will it kill millions of our sockeye and chinook?

Will it make eating these fish below the slide unsafe to eat?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

The spill is the equivalent to 2,000 Olympic sized swimming pools. >:(

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict

This is sickening me, I am scared for our fishery.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

There is going to be some huge commercial openings at the mouth to net these fish before the pollution makes its way down... I doubt there will be a rec opening. Commercial fisheries r still going to get their pay day .

nosey

When the tailing pond at Carolin Mines overflowed a little it killed every fish that was in the Coquehalla at that time. That was nothing compared to the volume that poured out of the Mount Polley mine. Hopefully it will dilute enough not to poison every fish in the Quesnel system.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!

good by early runs !

TacoChris

Hopefully the Fraser is not at risk and any contamination that could get through a huge slow body of water like Quensel lake will we diluted to safe levels. Remember all the paranoia about Fukismia. It will devastate the areas nearest to the discharge. They have not given warnings to communities on the Fraser.

nosey

One of the first acts of our Liberal Provincial government when they came in power in 2001 was to rewrite the mine practices code, because it seemed that the enviormental laws that the former government had put in were stifling economic development and it was taking too long for new mines to become producers. Along with making the eviormental hoops easier to jump through they also cut back on the amount of mine inspectors policing their new laws, citing that big industry should take resposibility for policing itself. This incident could amount to the biggest disaster in the history of BC, bar none. We should all be praying that toxic levels do not reach the Fraser, something like this could change the face of BC forever.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

Hopefully the Fraser is not at risk and any contamination that could get through a huge slow body of water like Quensel lake will we diluted to safe levels. Remember all the paranoia about Fukismia. It will devastate the areas nearest to the discharge. They have not given warnings to communities on the Fraser.
.     Sounds like its right at the mouth of quesnel in likely...therefore I doubt the lake will have the diluting affect you think it will. There's current at that end of the lake that will pulling the till right down stream . Iv stayed at a friends cabin right near the likely narrows.Used to be trout  in that area like salmon they were so big.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:32:52 AM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer

Imperial Metals says in their news release the " the situation is stabilized".  Interpretation:  'The tailings are all gone down the river, nothing left to spill'.

StillAqua

Imperial Metals says in their news release the " the situation is stabilized".  Interpretation:  'The tailings are all gone down the river, nothing left to spill'.

Precisely.

Looking at the aerial video, Hazeltine Creek, and its Rainbows and Sockeye and Coho spawning beds, was completely wiped out by the flood and buried in tailings sediments, no doubt loaded with lots of toxic metals like copper, cadmium and selenium that they were trying to retain in the pond. In the video you can see the green plume spreading out into Quesnel Lake.... :'(  :'(