Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snaggy or Lower Pipeline Bar Access Appeal  (Read 35965 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Snaggy or Lower Pipeline Bar Access Appeal
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »

Looks like Snaggy Bar will be off limit to most fishermen this year. The lower trail has been shut down by its native owner last year. Now access from the top end is blocked by multiple fallen trees. With this year's big sockeye run, crowding will be really bad in other bars if Snaggy Bar is totally not accessible. Will the native owner willing to allow access with a fee? The house owner at the top end of Scale Bar is allowing parking & access to Scale Bar for a fee this year. The native owner of the Snaggy Bar access trail can consider doing the same and make a good income. It will be beneficial to both parties. Many people find Snaggy attractive to fish despite its snagginess because the lower access trail is level and is easier to walk compared to other bars. Seniors and families with children can fish this bar. Now they won't have too many alternatives.

If any reader related to the trail owner reads this, please forward the info to him. The native owner came to this site last year to explain why he shut the trail down. I respect his position. The fishermen should now learn that they need to keep the bar/trail clean in order to use the bar. Perhaps the owner can put a box there at the trail entrance where people can drop the fee and their car license plate (similar to the Scale Bar parking system). It can be a sizable income with this year's big sockeye run and will help the crowding issue at the sockeye bars.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:25:12 PM by liketofish »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Snaggy or Lower Pipeline Bar Access Appeal
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »

Same thing for Seabird Island (I think also known as spring bar) where the access has been closed by the native band.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »

You mean no more walking through the original entrance? I thought they just pushed the parking spots far away from the entrance of Seabird. If access is denied, then crowding will be unbearable elsewhere. It can get ugly when people are fishing too close to each other with line crossing each other. If I can buy $10-$15 per fish which has been bled & frozen properly, I will just stay home.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:18:31 PM by liketofish »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:22:46 AM »

They don't care if you fish on the bar they just don't want you using the trail to get there!

vandenhooff

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »

You mean no more walking through the original entrance? I thought they just pushed the parking spots far away from the entrance of Seabird. If access is denied, then crowding will be unbearable elsewhere. It can get ugly when people are fishing too close to each other with line crossing each other. If I can buy $10-$15 per fish which has been bled & frozen properly, I will just stay home.

you have a point there  ;)

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:56 PM »

They don't care if you fish on the bar they just don't want you using the trail to get there!

are there any alternative access besides boats? I guess the natives want us to buy sockeye from them by shutting all access to these popular bars.  ;D  I really don't get it about the seabird trail. It is really short trail and then it is all gravel. So why deny people access the river?

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »

Is boat access fairly easy to Seabird? Which boat launch is best to use?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »

Look at Google earth, not sure but I do believe there is one farther up the road.

Humpy

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »

Great thanks, has anybody seen or operated a boat in that area?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 01:05:34 PM »

you have a point there  ;)
It's hard to ignore the politics of it all, as those  "no parking" signs should never have gone up. On top of that the CN police have been issuing $176 tickets for crossing the track. Very poor understanding of business opportunities. So if you can put the politics aside, ya, it's cheaper to buy your sockeye at $10 a pop, (assuming a selling permit was purchased), then to buy your  license, gear, gas, time,$176 ticket, etc. All I need to do now is figure out who I need to take for dinner to get some speed bumps placed 1 km either side of my home
The only easy day was yesterday

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »

Great thanks, has anybody seen or operated a boat in that area?
the local 1st Nations operate boats with OBs in that area all the time. There is a launch at Hope plus there is one father downstream on the south side. Jet boats are common too.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

baowu2

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »

I don't know how legit the pay parking thing is by scale bar.  All I have heard is they have got warnings from the law enforcement already and still, the most up to date news is they are bumping up the parking fee from $10 to $20.  Enjoy!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »

Looks like all forces are conspiring against the fishermen. Poor guys just want to get 2 sockeye and they have to pay that much for fish. Even that the city wants to shut that down. Natives also try to shut down the fishermen. We are the pawns every body want to kick around. If DFO doesn't help fishermen to get more fishing access & parking, I suggest they should set a limit to the number of new licenses they can sell after the announcement of sockeye opening. It is irresponsible for them to charge people for fishing sockeye and yet the fishing and parking spaces are being hammered down from all sides.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

Looks like all forces are conspiring against the fishermen. Poor guys just want to get 2 sockeye and they have to pay that much for fish. Even that the city wants to shut that down. Natives also try to shut down the fishermen. We are the pawns every body want to kick around. If DFO doesn't help fishermen to get more fishing access & parking, I suggest they should set a limit to the number of new licenses they can sell after the announcement of sockeye opening. It is irresponsible for them to charge people for fishing sockeye and yet the fishing and parking spaces are being hammered down from all sides.

This post makes me giggle. There is just so much to comment on, I don't know where to begin.

However, I do agree with you on one point: DFO should help fishermen get more fishing access and parking. But rather than build parking lots, I suggest that DFO should create more gravel bars for fishing. That could easily be done by lowering the water levels in the Fraser to expose more gravel bars. The best way to accomplish this is to build a large weir on the Fraser, above Hope. The weir would allow so enough water through for the fish to migrate but not enough to flood the gavel bars. I realize that building a weir would be expensive, so another less costly approach would be to harvest gravel from the Mission to Chilliwack stretch of the river and then truck it above Chilliwack to create new gravel bars adn open up more opportunity for sport anglers

DFO needs to step up their game and do more.       

Sinaran

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

agree with that 200%
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!