Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This Guy is Taking All the Credit for the Fraser Sockeye Return  (Read 3736 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

http://pesn.com/2014/06/29/9602512_Worlds-First_Commercial-Scale_Ocean-Pasture-Restoration_a_Phenomenal_Success/  Interesting article about seeding the ocean with minerals to boost salmon survival, based on the effect of volcanoes on previous years runs.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: This Guy is Taking All the Credit for the Fraser Sockeye Return
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »

Great link, thanks WAfishboy :)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »

Russ George: I knew that the billions of baby salmon from this region that swim out the sea each year have been mostly starving and dying at sea and not coming home to us hale and hearty. The reason has been clear that they are dying because their vital ocean nursery pasture has been collapsing and not growing sufficiently to sustain the abundance of salmon it once did.

Translation: Actually this has more to do about carbon tax credits than saving baby salmon.  The "saving baby salmon" bit was a carrot in front of the noses of the Haida People to swindle as much money as I could from them. I haven't proven that my little experiment did anything to save baby salmon, but...who cares....I have my money now...that's what counts.  My "science" is proprietary and confidential.....That's how I get around having to prove anything to the scientific community.  By the time they see it I have my money.  Great job I have.  Yeah, I know I have the morals of an alley cat but what the hell...lol.  However, it appears that the Haida Salmon Restoration Corporation finally caught onto my little snake oil salesman scheme and have given me the boot.  Oh well, I will appear somewhere else so I can exploit another First Nations group and make wild, unsubstantiated claims again about saving wild salmon.

http://www.haidasalmonrestoration.com/?q=russ+george+termination&Search=&t%5B%5D=&t%5B%5D=&t%5B%5D=&t%5B%5D=
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-company-responds-to-ocean-fertilization-lawsuit-1.2552119

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:09:02 PM »

Thought this one would get your attention ;)

dnibbles

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »

Gee, Steve has a cynical take on something. Who woulda guessed?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »

I'm not as pessimistic as Steve, but Russ George does sound like a snake oil salesman.  If it seems like a miracle cure, somebody's trying to make money.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:40:39 PM »

Don't mean to be pessimistic but it's hard not to be when Russ George makes these claims.  Let's start with seeing some actual data that supports these claims. When he starts saying, "confidential" and "proprietary" while making these claims this should set off some red flags.  His comments about receiving generous help and participation of many governments ministries needs to be balanced by the fact he was not very forthcoming with all aspects of his work. For instance, NOAA did help him out but they had no idea that their contribution was going to be used for the purpose he intended it for.  He makes this out to be some big collaborative study but nothing can be further from the truth.

Now the Haida have caught onto Russ George's little plan and have given him the boot. I don't blame the Haida because when you have high unemployment, basically no wild salmon fishery to make a living off of and someone with the salesman skills of George comes to them promising them prosperity it becomes very inviting.

The impact of volcanic eruptions on this is still controversial. Not saying it is not possible and it shouldn't be studied, but it's not so clear cut as people like George thinks it is. Pacific salmon have such a diverse life history, each species having it's own strategies with environmental factors not working in isolation with other factors. The science on these eruptions on recent escapements should be seen as still evolving and not a done deal.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101029/full/news.2010.572.html
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2012-2013/ironman

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:43:33 PM by shuswapsteve »