Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your prepfered leader length for flossing sockeye - don't be shy.  (Read 21659 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

When the  Fraser river sockeye fisheries first open up back in (I believed) 1995 I used 3' leader, red corkie with tuff of red yarn and float just like anybody else fishing that time. It usually  took a while before I caught my limit. Then a  few years later, somebody with a bright idea decided to use 10-15' leader to start b.bing. Being stubborn, I kept float fishing until I was getting tangled up with the b.bers lines and  finally called it quits when I got hit by frigging 15' leader with hooked  in to my right arm.

If I want a sockeye now, it cheaper  for me to line -up at Steveston fisherman wharf to get my sockeye there.

Silex-user
Did the same, don't know how we did it. Now a days, I just flee the Fraser.

Rieber

• Old Timer

I started using a 4-6' leader but then one year everyone had to start using 10-12' leaders and I can't remember why. I do remember though, once those long leaders came out, within two seasons most of the old timers disappeared from the bouncing crowds. Then within one or two seasons the crowd numbers exploded thru the ozone layer and then the number of jetboats completely over run the river. Then the river ran out of salmon.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

I started using a 4-6' leader but then one year everyone had to start using 10-12' leaders and I can't remember why. I do remember though, once those long leaders came out, within two seasons most of the old timers disappeared from the bouncing crowds. Then within one or two seasons the crowd numbers exploded thru the ozone layer and then the number of jetboats completely over run the river. Then the river ran out of salmon.
ya the recreational fishery had everything to do with the decline of the salmon ::) I remember using 4 foot leaders with centrepins float fishing and catching as many as 40 fish in one outing... and then the Indians started drift netting and spanning half the river with their set nets... bottom line the fishery is and was under managed from the get go.... yah the sport fishery did explode like your saying but its always been busy out there on the popular bars... and to answer this thread preferred leader length is 25-30 feet now and some bars as short as 10-15

Silex-user

Did the same, don't know how we did it. Now a days, I just flee the Fraser.

I must bump into you quite few times Chris back in good ol ' days. ;D

Silex-user
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:03:56 PM by Silex-user »

Silex-user

ya the recreational fishery had everything to do with the decline of the salmon ::) I remember using 4 foot leaders with centrepins float fishing and catching as many as 40 fish in one outing... and then the Indians started drift netting and spanning half the river with their set nets... bottom line the fishery is and was under managed from the get go.... yah the sport fishery did explode like your saying but its always been busy out there on the popular bars... and to answer this thread preferred leader length is 25-30 feet now and some bars as short as 10-15

Hey General, you were using center-pin reel setup too,Uh? I remember using my Silex and I was almost casting as far as guys/gals using their baitcaster and spinning reel. ::) ;D

Silex-user

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I must bump into you quite few times Chris back in good ol ' days. ;D

Silex-user
All that is left is to watch the videos of the old days.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Flossing sockeye I use a Maple Leaf emblazoned float. BB weight set to depth, and canucks coloured corky. Green wool soaked in some odour. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sandman

• Old Timer

I don't normally target them, but had tried a few times for them in the Fraser with little luck using my usual river set up (sink tip and 3' leader).  When hunting for early pinks in the Harrison last summer I was casting to a school of rolling fish, that I presumed were sockeye but hoped a few pinks may be in the mix.  After casting pink flies to them for while I switched to my small green sockeye fly on the end of the 3 foot leader tied to the fast sinking tip.  I cast out if my anchored boat at 4 o'clock (noon being the bow), and let the fly sink as it drifted down to hang straight behind the boat and began stripping it back.  Sure enough the bites started coming.  A few were small pike minnow and cutties but I had a few of these takers too:
Not all those who wander are lost

liketofish

• Old Timer

Hey General, you were using center-pin reel setup too,Uh? I remember using my Silex and I was almost casting as far as guys/gals using their baitcaster and spinning reel. ::) ;D

Silex-user

I also used my Silex too bad in the good old days when there was lots of space between fishermen. I was only using pencil lead before the betties became popular and I caught lot of spring with that. If you have space to do a side cast, center pins can cast as long as the level winds, but the problem for me is getting older and hate the tiresome long retrieve between casts.  So my Silex & other pins I have are only for the Vedder & smaller systems. With the much tighter spacing now, sometimes vertical casts or the 'betty lobbing cast' are the only options without risking pulling the ear off the guy beside you. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:53:03 AM by liketofish »

liketofish

• Old Timer

When the  Fraser river sockeye fisheries first open up back in (I believed) 1995 I used 3' leader, red corkie with tuff of red yarn and float just like anybody else fishing that time. It usually  took a while before I caught my limit. Then a  few years later, somebody with a bright idea decided to use 10-15' leader to start b.bing. Being stubborn, I kept float fishing until I was getting tangled up with the b.bers lines and  finally called it quits when I got hit by frigging 15' leader with hooked  in to my right arm.

If I want a sockeye now, it cheaper  for me to line -up at Steveston fisherman wharf to get my sockeye there.

Silex-user

Back then with less crowd and more spots to choose, me and my old timer friend often would just do true bottom bouncing for sockeye with 2-3 ft leader, a few split shots, and a small piece of coloured sponge. The secret is reading the water and finding a certain configuration of river and flow pattern where sockey will travel very close to shore in what we called a 'sockeye lane'. Once you find that, it is like a sockeye fest. Cast with a small soft metal size 2 to size 4 hook with a short 6-8 ft rod, have a max of 5 bounces, then if no taker, gentle lift and repeat, and often there will be a head shaking sockeye. Of course you do that later in season when the water is clear enough for them to see the coloured sponge. In murky water days, the long rod & Silex were the tools. But it is more enjoying to hook them on smaller lighter rod. Nowadays, unless you are there first light, you can't choose your best spots for this method. Often guys are standing where sockeye are hugging the shore. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:56:19 AM by liketofish »

milo

• Old Timer

No leader for me...I go wireless now.

One cell phone call to my friendly FN neighbour and I can get all the sockeye I want for 10$ a piece...delivered.
Extra 2$ a piece to have them them cleaned.  :P

Dave

• Old Timer

No leader for me...I go wireless now.

One cell phone call to my friendly FN neighbour and I can get all the sockeye I want for 10$ a piece...delivered.
Extra 2$ a piece to have them them cleaned.  :P

Haha! but for sure, there most likely will be a glut of sockeye available at a very reasonable cost.  No need to snag them ...

liketofish

• Old Timer

FN don't bleed the fish. So they are not good for sushi/sashimi. BBQ is ok. If FN or even the Steveston based outlets can supply fish which had been bled, I will support Milo's idea.  ;)  Sockeye fishing is pure meat fishery that cost $$$ for just 2 small (relatively) fish. Can't imagine people driving all that time piling up mileage on their car, spending $20-50 any time on gas, and risking 'hook accupuncture', mosquito bombers, sun-burn (therefore risking skin cancer) and last by not least possible confrontation or verbal squabbles with the next guy... etc etc. Sometime it is funny people drive 1-2 hours to make 2 casts and then head home. Is that fishing? All that for 2 mere little flossed/snagged fished and then get bashed by fellow members here on this forum. Not worth it. So where do you find sushi/sashimi grade sockeye at reasonable prize?  ;D

island boy

living in the wack is great. 10 min to boat launch, 2 min boat ride to my spot, set up and have some fun. wouldn't bother if i had to drive for an hour.
you kill it, you clean it.