Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fukushima Sashimi?  (Read 12010 times)

blueback

Re: Fukushima Sashimi?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »

As it happens, I have a friend who has access to crystal mass spectrometers and agreed to test a number of salmon samples for me from 2013. The salmon I used as samples were sockeye that I bought, (imported from Alaska), as well as two springs (a white and a red) that I caught locally (off the airport in September). The samles were taken from two areas of the fish; the back and the belly. The spectroscopy was done just before Christmas and indicated that these fish tested normal (or seemd to not be exposed to harmful radiation, as nothing indicative of same was revealed).
I was very happy to hear these results, as I have always said that I JUST DON'T KNOW if any salmon have been affected as there have been no (recently-since 2011) published datasets. Now I know my fish are safe to eat (and have been feeding heavily with the rest of my family since I got the results). I hope to inconvenience my friend with another request to test next year.           

Ambassador

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »

I hope to inconvenience my friend with another request to test next year.         
I'm hoping you do and keep posting it. With all the scientists and facilities the Cons are closing down, it is going to have to be done by people who actually give a damn. Maybe we can all pick up used spectrometers cheap from the Conservative fire sale as there is about to be a massive quantity of scientific gear collecting dust.   
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »

I am from a generation that grew up when The Americans, the Soviets, the British and the French were all conducting open air nuclear bomb testing, showering us with hot rain containing radioactive strontium 90 that accumulated in our bones.    Hanford, down in Washington State, was venting radioactive iodine from the reactors creating plutonium for bombs.    That was all flavoured with DDT and similar pesticides and we washed our clothes with carbon tetrachloride, our hands with naphthalene, ran vehicles with leaded gas, used asbestos extensively on on and on.  It certainly didn't do us any good and some undoubtedly died but most of us are still here.

Not to panic about a little diluted radioactive leakage.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:55:53 PM by VAGAbond »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Dogbreath

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »

Sushi for lunch again tomorrow!!!  8)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »

Take the T out of Morton.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »

Yesterday seen a news report by the Japanese telling that the fish caught in the local waters by Fukushima have too much radiation to be eaten safely.
Possibly the nuked fish will swim 50-100 or more miles & get caught & eaten either by humans or other larger fish.
Food chain.