Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Problems At Fish Farms  (Read 33897 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: More Problems At Fish Farms
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 07:20:09 PM »

Re: salmon farm organic certification

This is a company that does and has not used antibiotics for just about 10 years.  If disease was such an intense issue how possibly could a company achieve a survival rate higher than 90% over two years of a cycle for each cycle all these years?  Interestingly this  90% survival rate is very similar to companies that do use antibiotics.  Go figure.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

moosebreath

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »

Well, well...thesawrus Davey and his attempt at rhetoric. So tell us Davey how is it that Cultus Sockeye broodstock are coveted by anglers?  You insinuate that these fish are given a full strength bath in this 45 gallon drum of formalin which could not be further from the truth. They are on a slow drip rate once a week into the holding tanks which are constantly gravity fed with Cultus Lake water. This is to control copepods and works quite well. That 45 gallon drum of formalin has other user groups not just broodstock use. And great care is taken so there is no escapement of these brood fish into Sweltzer Creek or Cultus Lk. so no interaction between treated brood sox and lake spawners unlike farmed Chinooks escaping and spawning with other Chinook populations. So cancel your extrapolation rhetoric and fear mongering about Alaska. Get them in land based closed containment.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »

Thanks for clarifying Moosebreath. 8) Dave sure was trying stir up some of that stuff under then netpen. :P
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

moosebreath

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »

Thanks for clarifying Moosebreath. 8) Dave sure was trying stir up some of that stuff under then netpen. :P

But, but....TB...Dave told me the tides take it away.....LOL...where I wonder, Dave.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

Steve are you as long winded socially? Cut to the chase and be concise for the sake of clarity. Your pandering makes for bad reading. End up losing interest in what your trying to get across, by your verbosity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_to_the_chase

Don't read it.  Simple.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whining

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »

Well, well...thesawrus Davey and his attempt at rhetoric. So tell us Davey how is it that Cultus Sockeye broodstock are coveted by anglers?  You insinuate that these fish are given a full strength bath in this 45 gallon drum of formalin which could not be further from the truth. They are on a slow drip rate once a week into the holding tanks which are constantly gravity fed with Cultus Lake water. This is to control copepods and works quite well. That 45 gallon drum of formalin has other user groups not just broodstock use. And great care is taken so there is no escapement of these brood fish into Sweltzer Creek or Cultus Lk. so no interaction between treated brood sox and lake spawners unlike farmed Chinooks escaping and spawning with other Chinook populations. So cancel your extrapolation rhetoric and fear mongering about Alaska. Get them in land based closed containment.
Read my post again.  I did not suggest Cultus sockeye are coveted by anglers; my reference to the formalin used to treat these 250 fish is but a drop in the bucket compared to the treatments for bacterial and fungal diseases used in West Coast hatcheries for steelhead, coho, chinook, kokanee, char and rainbow trout. 
Who knows what Alaska uses but considering their output is in the billions of fish, I would suggest a considerable amount.

We are now done moosebreath.  No further responses from me.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »

Escapes from salmon farms are beginning to be a thing of the past through technology and regulation.
How is the formalin removed from the water if the hatchery is a flow through system?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:09:55 PM by aquapaloosa »

moosebreath

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50:53 PM »

Read my post again.  I did not suggest Cultus sockeye are coveted by anglers; my reference to the formalin used to treat these 250 fish is but a drop in the bucket compared to the treatments for bacterial and fungal diseases used in West Coast hatcheries for steelhead, coho, chinook, kokanee, char and rainbow trout. 
Who knows what Alaska uses but considering their output is in the billions of fish, I would suggest a considerable amount.

You must have some kind of idea, Davey or is it just another uneducated opinion? Remember, people who live in glass houses.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »

Typical of MB to listen to the words he is putting in your mouth Dave rather than listening to what you have said.

moosebreath

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 10:57:16 PM »

Escapes from salmon farms are beginning to be a thing of the past through technology and regulation.
How is the formalin removed from the water if the hatchery is a flow through system?

I'll let Davey answer that, aqua.  ::)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »

I'll let Davey answer that, aqua.  ::)

I'd like to here it from you actually MB? 

moosebreath

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »

Typical of MB to listen to the words he is putting in your mouth Dave rather than listening to what you have said.

These not your flip flop words, bawb?

"Every thing that Dr. Morton predicted has come to be true. I am sure we can get more donations her way if we bang the table louder and make more noise."

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »

hey soxy.

davesolon isn't a planet though it's nice to know your thinking of me.

moosebreath

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:10 AM »

It certainly would be a barren one.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 07:29:58 AM »

These not your flip flop words, bawb?

"Every thing that Dr. Morton predicted has come to be true. I am sure we can get more donations her way if we bang the table louder and make more noise."
Yes they were MB. No need to get all huffy and getting your shorts in a knot about it little one.  If you cared to listen before, I told you I no longer support Doc Morton. Get off the bong for awhile and try to catch up Don. :). When you do, tell me what Morton has got right.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:34:05 AM by Fisherbob »