Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Problems At Fish Farms  (Read 33883 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: More Problems At Fish Farms
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »

Quote from: shuswapsteve on November 23, 2013, 09:23:59 PM
Wrong.  It is not the disease that mutates - it is the genetic material that mutates.

How about "foot in mouth disease", Dave?  ::)
Yup, technically Steve is correct and again I learned something from his post.   Do you have something to add to this discussion or are you just stirring the pot?

moosebreath

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »

Oh just stirring the pot, thesawress Davey. I'm surprised you didn't chime in at your faux pas. Kinda hoping it would go away?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »

Finally got back on FWR ... you must be proud.

moosebreath

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »

Proud of what? I pay my taxes...like most people. How about you?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 12:08:31 AM »

Yup, technically Steve is correct and again I learned something from his post.   Do you have something to add to this discussion or are you just stirring the pot?

Not directed towards you at all, Dave.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »

From the article:
Justice Bruce Cohen found in his report on the collapse of the Fraser River sockeye run in 2009 that the fish faced a "likelihood of harm" from disease and pathogens on farms, especially in the Discovery Islands northeast of Campbell River, between Vancouver Island and the province's mainland.

Did he really say this in the report or is this another "creative interpretation"?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

salmonrook

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »

I believe you have ISA confused with IHN.

If you are indicating that BC fish farms are unresponsive in these situations the facts state otherwise....

http://www2.canada.com/topics/travel/story.html?id=6640338
http://www.salmonfarmers.org/public-update-2-ihn-and-bc-salmon-farms
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/ihn/eng/1330122585767/1330122721075
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/ihn/fact-sheet/eng/1330124360826/1330124556262
I did have the 2 infectious diseases mixed,my bad, but the point remains the same about the response of both the Washington State Fish supervisor and the fish farm that they immediately ordered the cull for conservation reasons.

The bc fish farms,(which is a massive misnomer as a large amount of them are owned by Norweigan interests) on the other hand ordered the cull after there stock was deemed to infected, these fish cannot be sold for quality reasons which has nothing to do with conservation but more to do  with profit.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 06:42:22 AM »

The enclosed press update includes:

"The yes ministers: Scottish Government 'is in bed with the fish-farming industry'" (The Sunday Herald, 1 December)

"Looking more than a little dodgy: a message for the government agencies dealing with salmon farms" (Alexandra Morton, 30 November)

"Large B.C. fish-farm firm still focused on Atlantic salmon despite economic shift" (CTV News, 30 November)

"Vote for social and ecological justice -- against Marine Harvest" (Women and Life on Earth internet project, 29 November)

"Galway Bay salmon farm halted as EU concerned by ‘Fundamental errors’ in scientific data" (Galway Advertiser, 28 November)

"Marine pollution by fish farms set to increase six-fold" (Environmental Research Web, 28 November)

"Canada approves GM salmon eggs: Conservation NGOs cry foul - and fear for the future of the species" (The Ecologist, 28 November)

"Scottish Salmon Company revenues and profits drop" (Intrafish, 28 November)

"EU blow for salmon farm" (Galway Independent, 27 November)

"To promote fish farm as job creation scheme is galling" (Galway Independent, 27 November)

"Edinburgh Protest & Visit to First Minister of Scotland!" (Protect Wild Scotland, 27 November)

"Welcome to reality" (Conservation Council for New Brunswick, 25 November)

Keep up to date on salmon farming news via: http://www.protectwildscotland.org/salmon/salmon-news/

Sign onto a letter to the First Minister of Scotland calling for a moratorium on salmon farming - to be delivered on 5 December in Edinburgh - online here

Best fishes,

Don

Don Staniford

Director, Protect Wild Scotland: www.protectwildscotland.org

<((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

The Sunday Herald, 1 December 2013

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 07:00:47 AM »

Judging from Don's and Doc Morton's track record, both appear to like leading with the chin rather than what is in the cavity behind it. :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:05:41 AM by Fisherbob »

moosebreath

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »

Kinda like you huh, butt hurt bawb? Do you have a life?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:38 PM »

I did have the 2 infectious diseases mixed,my bad, but the point remains the same about the response of both the Washington State Fish supervisor and the fish farm that they immediately ordered the cull for conservation reasons.

The bc fish farms,(which is a massive misnomer as a large amount of them are owned by Norweigan interests) on the other hand ordered the cull after there stock was deemed to infected, these fish cannot be sold for quality reasons which has nothing to do with conservation but more to do  with profit.

I understand your point remains the same, but it is still false.  I am also wondering what you know about IHN.

In the most recent outbreak of IHN at Mainstream's Dixon Bay farm in 2012 was first discovered during routine testing.  Samples were immediately sent to a third party lab (Provincial Animal Health Lab in Abbottsford) where PCR testing showed the presence of the IHN virus.  IHN is a reportable disease in Canada.  This means that fish farming companies in Canada, including Mainstream, are required by law to immediately notify the CFIA (even if they only suspect it)- which they did.  However, based on prior experience from the 2003 IHN outbreak, Mainstream knew that they could not wait for CFIA confirmation results which could take up to 2 weeks, so the decision was made to depopulate 500,000 Atlantic Salmon immediately - before the confirmation results were known.  This was in the news article I attached previously.  Fish farmers here in BC learned after 2003 that they needed to act quickly to maintain biosecurity by preventing the spread of the virus to other farms by boats, shared personnel or shared contractors.  Thus, your contention that BC fish farms ordered the cull after their stock was deemed infected is false because Mainstream carried out the cull before any confirmation from the CFIA.

This is really not much different from what potato farmers do when potato blight is suspected.  My late father-in-law was potato farmer back in New Brunswick.  The concern is not just for the farmer that has potato blight in his crops, but for the other immediate farms in the area that do not.  There is machinery and workers constantly being moved around from field to field which poses a high risk of infection if potato blight is present.  To prevent the spread to other farms, the farmer with potato blight (even suspected) may burn a large portion of their fields.  They are not making money if they are burning their fields and not harvesting the potatoes from it because of potato blight or some other disease.

The reason that the fish were culled because of “profit” is not only false, but it makes no sense because the fish are much more valuable if they are healthy.  Mainstream already addressed this myth from Mr. Reid who is so clueless it is actually funny.  As for conservation purposes, you should understand that IHNv is an endemic virus to our coast, from Alaska to California.  Wild Pacific Salmon, such as Sockeye, can carry the virus their whole lives without experiencing the disease – IHN; however, in dense situations like hatcheries, the virus can cause disease in salmon fry.  On the other hand, Atlantic Salmon have not developed the natural resistance to IHNv like Pacific Salmon.  IHN is highly lethal to Atlantic Salmon.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »

I like the term "depopulate" sounds better than destroy I guess. ::)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »

"Because of the recreational and commercial value of Pacific Northwest salmon and trout species, aquaculture (fish farming) and fish hatchery facilities have been used for over a century to increase and supplement natural production. Salmon farming in saltwater is a minor part of the national aquaculture industry, but it is a valuable economic asset, contributing 11 percent to the total value of all aquaculture products. Farmed salmon now accounts for 80 percent of all salmon sold in the United States."
http://agsci.oregonstate.edu/aquatic-bt/book/export/html/65

moosebreath

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »

"Because of the recreational and commercial value of Pacific Northwest salmon and trout species, aquaculture (fish farming) and fish hatchery facilities have been used for over a century to increase and supplement natural production. Salmon farming in saltwater is a minor part of the national aquaculture industry, but it is a valuable economic asset, contributing 11 percent to the total value of all aquaculture products. Farmed salmon now accounts for 80 percent of all salmon sold in the United States."
http://agsci.oregonstate.edu/aquatic-bt/book/export/html/65

Fisherbob
Re: Salmon Confidential

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys just do not get it. I want the salmon feedlots out of BC. I have donated to this cause and said so when asked. Did any of you? No. Just smart remarks. Thanks guys.  All I have said, what is the good of getting the feedlots out of BC and letting Washington grow them. If we anti-feedlot people can not see this problem it will be the last we see of our wild stocks. Is that not what we care about for generations to come. We have to look out side the box we are given.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:11:44 PM by Fisherbob »

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???........ ::)