Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...  (Read 22640 times)

jacked55

Re: Help! Wanting to tie my own jigs...
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

Well thank you Hook, Moe, I just realized that I did not use any whip finish knots, I did not wrap the pin anywhere near enough, and I didn't use head cement on the pin. So 0/3 would be a good indication why they came out, lol. Now I'm pumped to try doing it again to improve. Glad I a sled and glad some experience guys answered my query. Thank you all for helping.

speycaster

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »

Maribou can come from turkeys. ;D

Animal Chin

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 05:03:27 AM »

No first light fishing for me tomorrow..so stayed up and tied some jigs to replace the ones trashed by chums at the Stave. I found the marabou/schlappen jigs did especially well. Rabbit fur base, then marabou, finished with schlappen. Nightmare..ish jigs finished with a red wool collar (never tried before, needed something red).

I found this video helped immensely with palmering the feathers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Ww1WFPyAE

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:07:18 AM by Animal Chin »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »

The only secret is learning to tie a whip finish knot to finish the flure.

Disagree with this. Both Rod Toth and another instructor who teaches jig tying both just do half hitches with their fingers and do not use a whip finish tool/knot. I myself always whip finish but that's just me. My point here is if you do not know how to use a whip finishing tool dont panic...just tie your fly/jig and do a hlf dozen or so half hitches and add a dab of head cement or super glue. In fact Rod doesn't even use glue...if you look closely at one of his jigs in the store you'll se there is a little tag end on the thread and no glue on the thread.

Suther

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »

Disagree with this. Both Rod Toth and another instructor who teaches jig tying both just do half hitches with their fingers and do not use a whip finish tool/knot. I myself always whip finish but that's just me. My point here is if you do not know how to use a whip finishing tool dont panic...just tie your fly/jig and do a hlf dozen or so half hitches and add a dab of head cement or super glue. In fact Rod doesn't even use glue...if you look closely at one of his jigs in the store you'll se there is a little tag end on the thread and no glue on the thread.

Yeah one thing I really wasn't worried about was tying it off. between half hitches, clove hitch, and some super glue I really dont think I need a whip finish tool.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »

Ya man half hitches and some glue is good enough those chum will rip your jig aaprt long before the thread at the head gives out (just don't get in on the feathers!) I remember what Rod does: so you have the thread in your fingers ready to do some half hitches...twist 2-3 times in the air (not around the fly head) THEN go over the head and finish the half hitch. Repeat 3 times and cut the thread leaving a short tag end. Rod doesn't use any glue and I've never had one of his jigs come undone.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »

My experiences-

Sockeye- flame red/orange, red/chartrues, black/red, purple/pink (Usually tipped with procure prawn chunks)
Chinook- Red/black, black/chartrues, blood red/orange (tipped with procure prawn or roe)
Chum- Pink/purple, purple/black (anything purple and I love flash, pretty much fish all day)
Pink- Anything chartrues or pink really
Coho- Blue/black, purple/blue, pink/blue, straight pink (again lots of flash)

Can't tell you guys how much confidence I have built on jigs in the last 3-4 years. Started twitching this year but dead drift them OVER fish and not near the bottom and they will hammer it, specially the chums, pinks and sockeye.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »

Few I tied last night

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »

My experiences-

Sockeye- flame red/orange, red/chartrues, black/red, purple/pink (Usually tipped with procure prawn chunks)
Chinook- Red/black, black/chartrues, blood red/orange (tipped with procure prawn or roe)
Chum- Pink/purple, purple/black (anything purple and I love flash, pretty much fish all day)
Pink- Anything chartrues or pink really
Coho- Blue/black, purple/blue, pink/blue, straight pink (again lots of flash)

Can't tell you guys how much confidence I have built on jigs in the last 3-4 years. Started twitching this year but dead drift them OVER fish and not near the bottom and they will hammer it, specially the chums, pinks and sockeye.

What knot do you use to attach your line/leader to your jig? I used to always just use the improved clinch but I've started experimenting with a non-slip loop knot. I think it gives the jig better action.

Also I've experimented with tapping the spool with my thumb a little while it's dead drifting to make the jig twitch/dance a little. A couple times while doing this a chum smashed the jig so I'm convinced it can work.

Also do you always run a short leader? I was taught to keep the leader to a max of 18inches or so and vary the float if you want to go deeper. For kicks I stared trying out 2 foot + leaders in deep clear water. I didn't hook any coho on short or long leaders using this method. Small hammed brass colorados are what I caught most of my coho on this year. And...of cousre...roe.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »

For jigs I only use a half hitch (well, 2 or 3) and never had one untie on me yet.... no cement or anything.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Animal Chin

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »

Nice jigs BCfisherman. There are marabou in those jigs? I'm looking at mine now and am wondering if the feather stem spun and the feather is palmering the wrong way? The ends of the marabou on my recent ties seem to puff out too much. Just can't remember.

Oh well only one way to find out if they'll work. My last ones worked well.

3 half hitches and a little dab of head cement. Never had one come loose.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »

I use an improved clinch but I put my line through the eye twice and then tie, connect my swivled like this too. Jigs are heavy but seem to not get down to the zone if your leader is long. Had leaders that I fished with blades (usually longer as I like to swing them with floats, about 3 feet and a long float depth as I find blades will lift up and swing better in a good view to the fish when holding back on your float) and I was not getting bit much, shortened to a foot and it was easy pickings from there.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 09:32:26 PM »

Animal Chan, I tie in in by the tips and strip off some of the butt to tie in easier. I like rabbit for chum as it holds up way better. 3 different whip finishes for me (5 times each), "hard as nails" brushed on and they hold up. Sometimes finish with hackle for the collar.
Rodney- you can join my posts if you want, I reply off my phone sometimes and its easier to create a new reply for me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:35:14 PM by BCfisherman97 »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »

Interesting idea for the knot. I'll give it a try some time. I found the same thing with blades amd coho. Long leader 3+ feet worked best and short from float to swivel 2 feetish. Seemed like if noone had tossed a blade in a while as SOON as it drifted a few feet and was spinning it got smashed. Then 5 min later blades not working and had to switch to something else. Guys fishing bigger steelhead sized blades also getting nothing. I was using a small dime sized blade, #4 hook, and 8lb leader.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 04:38:03 AM »

Im curious to know if anyone else has trouble with the marabou colours bleeding?  I have had purple/pink jigs bleed to the point where the pink turned almost purple.  I have had colour off wet jigs cross over to dry jigs next to them in the coarse of the day...drives me NUTZ when this happens.

Can anyone recommend a brand where the colour wont bleed?!?