Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "My wife is first nations"  (Read 9251 times)

mko72

"My wife is first nations"
« on: October 08, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »

I was at the river today and there was a Caucasian guy fishing with Roe during the bait ban (guess which river I was on). 

I casually called him out and said "you know there's a bait ban on right?" to which he rattled off a bunch of reasons there shouldn't be one and then quickly said "and my wife is first nations so I can fish however I want"

Let's assume he was telling the truth, if a CO stops him how does he prove it?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: "My wife is first nations"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »

I casually called him out and said "you know there's a bait ban on right?" to which he rattled off a bunch of reasons there shouldn't be one and then quickly said "and my wife is first nations so I can fish however I want"

I don't think this is correct. First Nations are not excluded from the regulations pertaining to sports fishing.

First Nations have status cards proving they are indeed First Nations.

fyrslyer

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »

What a douche

Joeb

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

Yup your "First" experience with this sort of attitude and most likely not the last. We all need to figure out a way to sort this out legally.

robbyvanz

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:58:32 PM »

what river were you on?  I thought roe is permitted.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:00:54 PM »

Two weeks ago, I was fishing in New West and a First Nations family walked towards me, and the lady of the group asked me if I was fishing with a license. Then she questioned me about the price of the license. When I told her the price, she told me that I should marry a Native girl so I could just toss a net in the water. She walked away laughing out loud, and I just laughed too. 

jacklam999

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »

take out your sashimi knife

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »

Well I am FN with status and when I was on the island visiting my family I decided to do some fishing on the big qualicum river. At the time the section below the hatchery which runs through FN land was closed. We fished in the open section and later when we told the family they told us we could fish the closed section if we wanted. Now I didn't do that as I feel there is a reason that section is closed but that being said I could have just because I have the status card.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:22:50 PM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

mko72

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »

Well I am FN with status and when I was on the island visiting my family I decided to do some fishing on the big qualicum river. At the time the section below the hatchery which runs through FN land was closed. We fished in the open section and later when we told the family they told us we could fish the closed section if we wanted. Now I didn't do that as I feel there is a reason that section is closed but that being said I could have just because I have the status card.

So if the Caucasian guy is married to a first nations woman, what happens if a conservation officer calls him on something?  Does have to carry some form of proof?

norton

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »

Doesn't matter if your First Nation or last nation , you still have to abide by the law .

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »

That's nice his wife is First Nations... lucky her, she can use roe. He still can't as he has no FN blood.

hotrod

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »

Doesn't matter if your wife is first nations. This guy still has to abide by the regulations set out for all canadians as HE is not Indian or Aboriginal, first nation, and has no claim to anything. One day he will get caught and will have to pay a hefty fine. It sounds to me that this guy is simply using his wifes rights to justify his fishing methods to others on the river.

I don't think this is correct. First Nations are not excluded from the regulations pertaining to sports fishing.

First Nations have status cards proving they are indeed First Nations.
This is not true. FN's are excluded from sportfishing regulations.

hotrod
UCC 1-207
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:41:05 AM by hotrod »

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 07:21:26 AM »

I would like to marry a nice first nations women . After my 2 socks bb , i would release my extra socks at shore . And as the release happens theres my wife ready to scoop up the salmon with the net .
Pretty much another way first nations can net the fraser

Thats if they dont have to follow the regs

StillAqua

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 07:49:24 AM »

First Nations have an aboriginal fishing right under the Constitution to fish for food, social and ceremonial purposes without a licence, using rods, nets or weirs within their traditional territory, subject to closures and gear restrictions for conservation concerns. The onus is on the government to prove that conservation concerns for specific waters and fish populations are sufficient to restrict this food fishing right and they usually negotiate this with individual bands. Only natives registered under the Indian Act may exercise this right. Doesn’t matter if you’re married to Pocahontas, if you’re not a registered Indian, expect a ticket and gear seizure.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »

My wife is Nisga {Wolf Clan}, she buys a Non-Tidal license every year {now} as well as Salmon and Steelhead tags, she doesn't need to do this but it's her way of showing gratitude towards the sport she loves to partake in. The first few years we were together she never did {buy a non tidal license} but has since changed her way of thinking towards this matter

Same with hunting, she has taken and passed her C.O.R.E as well as both Non-Restricted and Restricted PAL's. She now has a hunter number card and buys a hunting license and tags for the game she intends to pursue/hunt every year. She does not hunt "all year round", she waits until September like everyone else does and applies for LEH's like the "non status" people do too.

Although she still does like a lot of her heritage she thinks of herself as just another Canadian citizen and likes to give back as the monies generated in both fishing and hunting management units are desperately needed and I love her for that very much.

It's funny this was brought up because last year we were checked for our fishing licenses at the Island 22 boat launch, I produced mine as well as my boaters card and they looked at my wife and didn't ask a thing, she then took her license AS WELL AS HER STATUS CARD and showed them, the one officer told her that she didn't need to have a Non Tidal license but was pleasantly surprised that she did {have one} anyways.

BTW, FN Status Card holders still need to purchase a Tidal sport license, only Non Tidal is where they are exempt when it comes to recreational fishing.