Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Right or wrong?  (Read 18433 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Right or wrong?
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »

Mojo7, yes it was wrong to tell the guy to keep the fish and for him to do so, but in saying that I understand and have been in that same situation both on the river and in the ocean.  People visit me on the island during the summer to catch salmon and halibut and pay a lot of money to do so with gas and ferries etc.  we have foul hooked a few and it is tough to say no.  I have kept a few over my many years of fishing and it does not make me feel sick to my stomache or like a criminal to do so.  Is it right, no, but I would suggest that many of the same people who are saying that they would never do it, have.  My opinion of course.  So don't beat yourself up or lose sleep over this.  Good topic. Interesting comments, some make me laugh. 
Question for egg fishers, how many fish are caught where the hooks are deep in the mouth etc? Have read a lot about how this is especially hard on released fish... If this is true then why are we doing it?

You can suggest that, but it doesn't make it true, no more than it makes what you have done less wrong to suggest other people have done it also.  Furthermore,  while a deeply hook fish has a very low chance of surviving release, it is still a chance, especially if the hook is left in and the line just cut.  However, a bonked fish has a zero percent chance of survival.
Not all those who wander are lost

merrittboy1

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »

Sandman, wasn't trying to connect the two with the my roe question.  My mistake, I should have started a new thread.  I realize that they have a better chance of surviving than if they were bonked, but do have a difficult time with it.  Off topic though as it has nothing to do with this topic... :-[

Joeb

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »

Good read and good topic. I think i would say thanks to mojo7 for bringing it up. Cant honestly come up with an answer because I wasnt there. Then again if I where then maybe it wouldnt of happened.