Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Right or wrong?  (Read 18723 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Right or wrong?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »

Forgive me.  Several people can't be wrong.  ::) Yes, I disagree.  There are more people fishing today which make the problem more of an issue, sure, but long before flossing the Fraser became popular or allowed or whatever there were ethics issues.  You can't tell me that someone who is willing to poach a fish today wasn't willing to poach a fish before flossing, all else being the same.  Just like in many other areas, ethics of all kinds are going down the toilet.  There are many more people today willing to do whatever they feel they have a right to do no matter how they have to go about doing it.  Granted most of those probably go about the route of flossing or snagging because it is seen as easier.  To think that these people, before they started fishing and learned to floss were ethically pure is complete BS.  Or are you going to try and blame flossing on all of the moral decay?

I could perhaps see a much lesser DFO presence on failing to force some ethics on fisherman.  If people know they are going to be checked and have the law thrown at them, they are more likely to comply.  If they think nothing will happen and nobody is seeing them, that is when we find out who they are on the inside.  And that is regardless of the type of fishing they are doing.

Flossing becoming popular might have brought more people out fishing but chances are they would have made it out there eventually.  There are too many jobs these days where people sit in front of a computer all day and rarely get outside.  Most of these have fishing as a child as a happy memory and therefore eventually seek it out as a way to unplug for just a couple hours.  So, combine that with increased population, hard economic times so people need a stress relief and if they can catch dinner and save a couple bucks all the better, the drive away from artificial stuff in our food but without the vegetarian restrictions and what is better than wild salmon for that, along with many other factors.

I understand your bitterness but you are directing it at the wrong item.  It pisses me off something horrible that the fishing I enjoyed as a kid will never be experienced by my kids.  That the fish have been raped by seemingly everybody that possibly could.  Blaming it all on flossers or even a good part of it is like blaming the fact guns exist for mass school shootings.  It just doesn't add up.

Very well said TN, your intelligence is showing through, you'd better watch out. Too many on this site have their minds made up that flosser's are the root of all evil as far as fishing is concerned. Funny, as one popular poster mentioned about fishing the Squamish during the pink run. He said that with four friends fly fishing side by side and we all hook a fish at the same time and catch 20+ fish each in less than 2 hours you know its getting ridiculous.

But none of those fish were flossed.  ;D   The fly fishing elitists, master flosser's of the river. If dfo really wanted or cared they would implement rules and reg's to stop it instead of just suggesting and hoping we all fish in a safe and appropriate manner.

Anyway's have fun guy's and girl's, I'm off for one last crack at the Vedder before the rain blow's er' out.

TNAngler

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

When I started fishing, flossing didnt exist!  You saw mostly float fishers, fly fishers, and some fisher hucking hardware.  There were few fareweather fisherman and more dedicated fisherman on any run, on any river.  Fast forward to today and the flossers and people fishing with no float and long leaders OUTWEIGH the float fisherman.  If you surveyed the entire river (vedder) I bet on the average day there are more flossers than true fisherman. 

I also venture a guess (yes a guess) that if a fareweather fisher couldn't catch a salmon to save his life then he would not spend $70 odd on a lisence.  Maybe some would, but the masses wouldn't.

"there are more people fishing today"  you don't think that has anything to do with flossing making salmon very accessible to new fishers?  To me flossing is cheating, fishers rob themselves of the learning process and this shortcut IMO reduces apprecaition for the process.

You aren't coming close to understanding it so I'll spell it out for you:

"You can't tell me that someone who is willing to poach a fish today wasn't willing to poach a fish before flossing" NO i am not saying that at all.  I am suggesting that flossing is bring out and creating more fishers who don't understand nor respect the system/fishery.

And then you even acknowledge my point by saying:  "there are many more people today willing to do whatever they feel they have a right to do no matter how they have to go about doing it.  Granted most of those probably go about the route of flossing or snagging because it is seen as easier.

EXACTLY...thanks for making my point.

When I started fishing, it was the same, few fair weather fisherman although a lot in WA were casting dick nights and pencil lead or winged bobbers or whatever you call them.  Saw very few fly fishermen down there ever and nobody using a float.  Those were simpler times though, and calmer.  There has been an inflow of people to the area from all areas, over seas, California, Mexico, etc.  They all came with their previous history of fishing and ethics and all of that.  There are more people fishing but there are many more people in the area living and working here.

For some people, they floss because they consider it easy, they can set the hook often and "catch" fish.  Before flossing, you suggest these people weren't fishing but I remember growing up running into some just like them.  Like I said though, it was a different time.  Back then if a fisherman saw someone snagging, they would be approached and run off, or DFO would be there and lock them up.  Now, if a fisherman approaches a snagger, they so do knowing there is a greater than 0 chance a gun could get pulled.  There have been guys shot because of it.  DFO is rarely around.  Without supervision and people calling them out, people with less ethics than people had back in the day do what they do.  It used to be they had to try and hide it.  I saw a number of hooks tied directly onto a weight, or weird treble hook setups that were obviously for snagging.  And this was in the 70s and 80s.  It was happening, just not near as frequently as flossing happens and definitely more hidden.

Also, I hate to tell you this, but in the rivers in WA, there are many more people fishing than I saw growing up too.  Flossing is not an issue there.  There are guys that are lucky to catch a fish all season long.  They are still out there.  This isn't a problem unique to the Fraser or Vedder or just in Canada.  Check out the Sammish river sometime if you don't believe me.  They float fish there too if you want to call it that.  They have a float on.  A lot of guys put a little bit of egg on and then rig it so the hook is outside and while the eggs are on the bottom, the hook is pointing downstream to gut shot any fish that comes by.  You think that is because of flossing?

Face it.  People these days suck.  Few have any ethics worth mentioning on anything they do, including fishing.  They occupy every part of the river.  You could outlaw flossing completely and you wouldn't get rid of them.  They would find another way because for them, the end justifies the means.  Whatever they have to do to get their fish, they will do it.

Getting a fish to bite is awesome and outsmarting the fish and enticing a strike is awesome, whether it is with a fly, or a spoon, or a plastic worm for bass or any other way.  There are many that don't care about this though.  A majority of them gravitate toward flossing because it is legal and the way they do it is easy.  If it was made illegal, they wouldn't just leave, they would do something else.  You are blaming the method many of them have chosen, not the lack of ethics.  Outlawing the method won't change the underlying issue and won't fix anything.

TNAngler

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »

Very well said TN, your intelligence is showing through, you'd better watch out. Too many on this site have their minds made up that flosser's are the root of all evil as far as fishing is concerned. Funny, as one popular poster mentioned about fishing the Squamish during the pink run. He said that with four friends fly fishing side by side and we all hook a fish at the same time and catch 20+ fish each in less than 2 hours you know its getting ridiculous.

But none of those fish were flossed.  ;D   The fly fishing elitists, master flosser's of the river. If dfo really wanted or cared they would implement rules and reg's to stop it instead of just suggesting and hoping we all fish in a safe and appropriate manner.

Anyway's have fun guy's and girl's, I'm off for one last crack at the Vedder before the rain blow's er' out.

If you fly fish with floating line and a dry fly and the fish comes and takes it then I think they can say they aren't flossing them.  If anything is below the water, unless they are seeing the fish purposefully grab it which happens some with coho or some other fresh fish, they can't say for sure.

Fact is, there isn't a method used that can't be manipulated and used in an unethical way.  People aren't unethical because they floss.  People are just unethical and how it manifests itself is different and I will admit there are a lot of people out flossing on the river that are snagging all kinds of fish, many of them do it on purpose.  I'm not going to get into my whole discussion again but you bring up evidence, like a color change causing a complete stop in fish being caught and they just don't want to hear it but refuse to give a reason it happens because it doesn't fit in their assumed reality box they have created for themselves.  Apparently the line only goes into the fish's mouth if the colors of the spin-n-glo and yarn are just right, otherwise the fish close their mouths.

I've seen bank fishing done unethically.  I've seen trolling in the ocean done unethically.  Fly fishing.  Throwing spoons.  Flossing.  Anything can be done unethically and it isn't the method, it is the person.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »

Why you guys arguing?  Capilano wild coho for everyone.  Snag em and Bag em.

TNAngler

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »

Why you guys arguing?  Capilano wild coho for everyone.  Snag em and Bag em.
I'm disgruntled because I am in TN and get no Capliano wild coho.  I wish I was up there snagging and bagging.  Because of that I am pissy and arguing. :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »

Im pissy because for 6 weeks I have been hammer coho on the fly...you can watch them chase it down and hammer it...its been awesome until the flossers and snaggers show up.  them simply bombarding the hole almost always kills the fishing.  they aren't getting bites and more often than not snag fish they know they can't keep...they are wasting everyone's time WHILE DAMAGING FISH.  Thats why I am so fired up as of late.

I'll do my be to educate people, I have give out 6-8 flies to different fishers to encourage them not to floss. 

Most dont care and continue on...so I call RAPP every chance I get.

PS - I have seen people ticketed for keeping a flossed fish...its not legal, its just not enforced.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2013, 02:50:29 PM »

Getting back to the OP's question. Did you counsel him to break the law, and did he? In black and white terms, yes.

However, IMHO, in grey terms, is it a big deal? No

1) If this fish reached the hatchery, it would wind up in a blue bin to be disposed of somehow
2) I note in the regs it says "It is illegal to wilfully hook a salmon on any part of its body other than
in the mouth. You may not retain any accidentally foul-hooked salmon" So it is illegal to willfully hook and you may not retain...  If I was playing semantics I would appear that the former is more wrong than the latter.

Is it illegal to go 10 km over the posted speed limit? In black and white terms, yes. Does it cause increased risk to the public or yourself to do it? Not really. Do members of this forum regularly exceed the posted speed limit? Probably yes

Is it illegal to retain a hatchery fish that you accidentally hooked In black and white terms, yes. Does it cause harm to a public resource. Not really. Do members of this forum retain accidentally snagged fish? Probably not.

StillAqua

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »

1) If this fish reached the hatchery, it would wind up in a blue bin to be disposed of somehow
Most of the surplus fish (beyond those needed for hatchery production) go to the Squamish Band. It's compensation for the salmon they lost when we built our dam to provide water to our homes and for watering our lawns. They don't go to waste.

t-bone

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »

WRONG. This is the reason why there are soo many bad ethics on the river, it perpetuates the problem

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »

wrong.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2013, 09:42:48 PM »

Im giving everyone on this forum permission to kill one wild coho this year, just one fish. There goes 10,000 fish.....
The Bigger The Better!

ksan

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »

If your answer was anything but "Wrong" consider yourself part of the problem!
Making a conscious decision to operate outside the parameters of that which is legal is not defensible. Those that do so are simply poachers with an explanation.

TNAngler

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 07:04:05 AM »

If your answer was anything but "Wrong" consider yourself part of the problem!
Making a conscious decision to operate outside the parameters of that which is legal is not defensible. Those that do so are simply poachers with an explanation excuse.

I fixed your post

Kjle

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2013, 03:12:58 AM »

Well did you really expect anyone to say you did the right thing? I'm fairly certain everyone, including yourself, knows that both of you made the wrong choice. It's unfortunate that it happened, and though I agree you're probably right that the actual damage it will do to the system will be slim to none, that rationalization is a dangerous game to play. I know because, before I was educated by some helpful ethical fishermen, I played that rationalization game.

I pulled up a beautiful 10 lb silver bullet of a wild coho and fought with myself on how I could rationalize keeping it. It made me sick inside when I released it and I thought, the river owes me one. A week later I foul hooked a nice 25lb spring and I convinced myself that because I let the coho go, I deserve this spring. I bonked it. That sinking feeling I immediately had was nauseating. The rest of my day was spent feeling guilty. The dinner was only a reminder of how low I had stooped. I then realized that its just not worth it in the long run.

I have since pulled a 180. I'm working on educating those around me to fish more ethically and take pride in doing things the right way. Each fish is so much more fulfilling.

merrittboy1

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »

Mojo7, yes it was wrong to tell the guy to keep the fish and for him to do so, but in saying that I understand and have been in that same situation both on the river and in the ocean.  People visit me on the island during the summer to catch salmon and halibut and pay a lot of money to do so with gas and ferries etc.  we have foul hooked a few and it is tough to say no.  I have kept a few over my many years of fishing and it does not make me feel sick to my stomache or like a criminal to do so.  Is it right, no, but I would suggest that many of the same people who are saying that they would never do it, have.  My opinion of course.  So don't beat yourself up or lose sleep over this.  Good topic. Interesting comments, some make me laugh. 
Question for egg fishers, how many fish are caught where the hooks are deep in the mouth etc? Have read a lot about how this is especially hard on released fish... If this is true then why are we doing it?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:45:42 PM by merrittboy1 »