Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Fishing Zone  (Read 5885 times)

finishingwithian

No Fishing Zone
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:43:07 PM »

I am very new to salmon fishing. Have been fishing at Ambleside park recently and talked to a First Nation fellow. He told me that basically there is a "No Fishing Zone" between the first two bridges at the mouth of the Capilano River. Only First Nation people can fish there and I was very surprised since that I was not aware of that at all.

Luckily I did not fish in that Zone but thought that it might be a great idea to share with other anglers who might be new to fishing. I am sure that all your experienced fishermen know about some zones already but to us its like "Wow I did not know this" sort of thing.

Basically, these little areas/zones are very easy to be missed when read thru the reg's or they are very hard to find online (correct me if I am wrong). So, if you know any other 'No Fishing Zone's that may alert other anglers especially for newbie's like myself, I think that it will be so kind of you to share with us.

finishingwithian

Re: No Fishing Zone
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »

Here is another spot sort of raised the flag before i go there fishing.

Vancouver Southland Musqueam Ave along Fraser North Arm. Did anyone fished there? Is fishing allowed there?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »

Yep had one of these on Gold River too....
Was fishing an area catch and release that was open in the regs.

3 native fellows came down and gave me and the girlfriend a super hard time for fishing there. Just kept asking if we had asked the chief to fish there every time we would talk (as we were packing up). Eventually just walked away, but it was sketchy. Middle of no where and 3 pretty aggressive guys that wouldn't even let us get a word in, and it appeared they were escalating it, even though we had already packed up and were walking away and had apologized (we simply didn't even know we were on reserve land). Started following us and I was seriously questioning our safety. They also kept telling me that DFO would arrest us if they caught us there. Checked the regs to be sure and it was indeed open. Probably won't go back even though it says it's open, just because I don't want to deal with that and risk safety in a remote area.

Not even 100% sure if these rivers are actually closed in those sections, or if it's just select FN trying to keep you off their land so they can do questionable things. I know on the island it got so bad with band members vs fisherman that DFO eventually did close sections of the river down permanently, such as on the lower Cowichan and the Lower Big Qualicum...

hk030405

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »

Thanks for the great info.

Read it in the reg somewhere stated that from Lions Gate Bridge to Second Narrow bridge there is no fishing for the safety of nautical activities.

Coincidentally, I talked to a FN fellow whom I've met when I was fishing at Ambleside, and was told that he's seen people fishing on the east bank of the mouth right under the LGB. I've previously been told that the mouth of Cap(from the railway bridge upstream to somewhere before the no.1 hwy bridge) is a FN reserve and non-FN anglers cannot fish there. I had some trouble trying to find resources that clarifies FN reserve boundaries. It would be usefull to many new anglers like myself to not trespass into those areas.

That said, the fellow told me about fishing over there and he has seen many "Caucasian" anglers right under the bridge fishing for salmon. Perhaps these folks are FN..  ??? :o

Are there any online resources that tells you on a map where these FN reserves are?

tfishy

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »

RyanB

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:19:08 AM »

Thanks for the great info.

Read it in the reg somewhere stated that from Lions Gate Bridge to Second Narrow bridge there is no fishing for the safety of nautical activities.

Coincidentally, I talked to a FN fellow whom I've met when I was fishing at Ambleside, and was told that he's seen people fishing on the east bank of the mouth right under the LGB. I've previously been told that the mouth of Cap(from the railway bridge upstream to somewhere before the no.1 hwy bridge) is a FN reserve and non-FN anglers cannot fish there. I had some trouble trying to find resources that clarifies FN reserve boundaries. It would be usefull to many new anglers like myself to not trespass into those areas.

That said, the fellow told me about fishing over there and he has seen many "Caucasian" anglers right under the bridge fishing for salmon. Perhaps these folks are FN..  ??? :o

Are there any online resources that tells you on a map where these FN reserves are?

Reserve boundaries
http://clss.nrcan.gc.ca/data-donnees/maps/capilano5rI.pdf

You can't look at someone and determine if they are native or not. 
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 06:40:27 AM »

Incorrect. You are referring to area 28 sub-area 10. Shore fishing only. No crabbing, no prawn traps, observe regs re: cod and rockfish. It's all here.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

Don't fish the areas between the bridges on the Cap. 'Nuff said.

Also, I always enjoy fishing the Cheakamus by the frog pond in Squamish - one bank is FN reserve, one side isn't. Always a little fishing derby going on there between the FN snaggers and the fly fishermen there.  Fished the wrong side first time out, and was politely informed of my mistake by a FN family making an afternoon of it on the river. FN snaggers dont bother me, if I had a status card I would be doing the same thing. Fun to watch, for a guy that never catches anything...
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »

Here is another spot sort of raised the flag before i go there fishing.

Vancouver Southland Musqueam Ave along Fraser North Arm. Did anyone fished there? Is fishing allowed there?

No, and you don't want to fish there anyway, unless you want chubs, or maybe some trout in the springtime. North arm activities are best considered between the Knight Street and Annacis Island bridges, anywhere west of there just doesn't produce results. I do not recommend the north arm at all, and yes I speak from experience. Always better results on the south arm or east of the confluence of North and South arms, especially for salmon. I only WISH I had decent fishing that close to home!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 01:46:03 PM »

If you are truly interested in respecting FN lands there is a KMZ file you can download and plug into google map which will show you all FN reserve land boundaries in BC.  More information can be found here:

http://clss.nrcan.gc.ca/googledata-donneesgoogle-eng.php

I have fished on the Squamish side of the Cheakumus, south of the bridge simply by approaching one of the older Native fisherman, introducing myself, acknowledging that I was on FN land and asking if it would be possible to fish with him.  Had a very interesting conversation about the changes he has seen in river and fish stocks over the last 40 years and had a great afternoon fishing.  A little respect and understanding can go a long way (YMMV). 

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 07:26:04 AM »

There are signs all along the Cap in that area indicating it is FN land.
Not all those who wander are lost