Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: People dont get it  (Read 5774 times)

trot

People dont get it
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »

While out on the fraser yesterday I had to call and report three separate boats and two guys on shore keeping pinks-all in a short stretch of river. Seems a fairly big push of fish has came through but people must not have got the memo. I let the guys on shore know that it wasn't open and they called BS. I wonder what the possibility would be of perhaps an app since everyone has smart phones these days-Could select what area you are interested in and get any reg changes for openings/closures simply texted to yourself.

Don't really know the point in this post, just found it crazy how many people are still salmon fishing.

trot

Re: People dont get it
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »

Shows what I know-Thanks I will look into that one for sure.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »

Bottom line is that many people do not check the regulations before fishing. They can buy a license at Walmart and head out with no idea what is open or closed. This is one of the main reasons for first time fishers having to take a test (like drivers do).  They will at least get a reality check of the extent to which the waters (rivers especially, but ocean too) are heavily regulated.  I was out on Indian arm the other day and had to inform multiple boats that they were fishing in closed RCAs (Rockfish Conservation Areas).  The fact that these areas cover half the arm unlike the smaller RCAs in Howe Sound or Georgia Strait), you would think that people planning on fishing Indian Arm would know where they are (if they bothered to check that is).
Not all those who wander are lost

trot

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »

Electroman

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

Thanks Rodney I've been looking for that link for a while as well.

brandooner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »

you da man rod!!
The Fishin' Musician!

juno

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »

Even though some new people don't know about regs  I don't think it will have an impact on the fish population.  still, i don't condone there actions. however just letting letting them know, sort of nicely will maybe enlighten them towards being respectfull fisherman. screaming and yelling at ppl may draw an adverse reaction. even when it is open there is a lot of improper fishing.

juno

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »

Oh, by the way, they were catching pinks? so there here. I haven't been close to the river for 2 weeks. it was so hot today, I wanted to swim in it. waiting for the opening

trot

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »

Even though some new people don't know about regs  I don't think it will have an impact on the fish population.  still, i don't condone there actions. however just letting letting them know, sort of nicely will maybe enlighten them towards being respectfull fisherman. screaming and yelling at ppl may draw an adverse reaction. even when it is open there is a lot of improper fishing.

No screaming and yelling was done-I can understand not everyone would get the notice.Next time I will print it out to show people because they thought I was crazy. Had a few big schools come by the boat. They are certainly here, now we wait.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:34:31 PM »

Lots of people fishing at Garry Point Park today.  Didn't stop to see how and what they were fishing for.

But...

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »

Lots of people fishing at Garry Point Park today.  Didn't stop to see how and what they were fishing for.

But...

Nothing wrong with that.  ;)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »

I believe that some parts of Garry Point Park are still open.

That would be the ocean side of it.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »

I believe that some parts of Garry Point Park are still open.

That would be the ocean side of it.

Yuup, all one has to do is look at the boundaries, 29-9 is open for fishing, this area actually goes beyond garry point park too, so not only the "ocean side" of it is open, the boundary stretches up river just past #2 rd if you look at it right. I believe {don't quote me}in area 29-9 you are allowed 4 salmon a day as well, not just 2.