Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mass cull of Norwegian farmed salmon ordered  (Read 2587 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Mass cull of Norwegian farmed salmon ordered
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »

Saw this on another forum and thought I'd share:

The Norwegian Food Saftey Authority has ordered the forced slaughter of millions of fish on two locations this week. The reason? sea lice… the lice appear to be resistant to chemical treatment.

This is a rough translation of what the chair on the union Naturviterne (Norwegian Assocation Of Natural Scientists) has to say about the lice situation in Norway:
Then it happened ; farming on the coast of Trøndelag have to use drugs . Sea lice are becoming multi-resistant to antibiotics and chemical poisons . Toolbox is empty veterinary institute say . FSA has ordered massive slaughter of fish. This is a foreseen disaster.Salmon farmers are about to incur a serious crisis of confidence . Foreign food authorities have been skeptical, but in the Norwegian media , this is interpreted as trade policy measures. We should, however, take issue with lice , disease and massive medication seriously. This is about more than Russian government’s protectionist attitudes. It is worrying when fisheries minister own company is among those who have to slaughter because of excessive use of medication . Does the management of the Ministry had a great sales page for the aquaculture industry ? Many people I talk to are now more skeptical of Norwegian farmed salmon.Natural scientists have for several years been skeptical of several factors in the salmon industry.Livestock certainly put a massive concentration of biomass in marine ecosystems that provide a large infection pressure of diseases and is a feast for the jumper lice . This allows one to reach unresolved challenge of keeping salmon healthy and free of parasites. In addition, it represents a huge burden on wild salmon stocks .
For the whole article and political scandal you can check it out here.

http://www.nosalmonfarmsatsea.com/archives/871

^^ not necessarily a reputable website but an interesting story nonetheless
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Mass cull of Norwegian farmed salmon ordered
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »

Fishfarmerbawb will be along shortly to blame Alexandra Morton and moan about his donated bent nickel. ;D

Yep, looks like salmon are becoming resistant to antibiotics - just like humans.
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer