Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food, recreational sockeye fisheries banned for Skeena River First Nations  (Read 3590 times)

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website

source: vancouver sun

TERRACE - Sockeye salmon returns have plunged to historic lows in the Skeena River system of northwestern British Columbia, forcing drastic, never-before imposed, fishing closures.

Commercial and non-native recreational fisheries were shut down on the river last month but, for the first time ever, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has closed First Nations food and recreational fisheries on the waterway.

Closures extend from the Pacific Ocean, up the Skeena River and its tributaries, while recreational fishing is also restricted in Babine River and Babine Lake, east of Smithers.

That closure angers the Lake Babine Nations, who have issued a release noting non-native recreational sockeye fishing continues in one section of the huge lake, and the closure to the aboriginal fishery amounts to a violation of First Nations constitutional rights.

Department of Fisheries North Coast area director Mel Kotyk estimates only 395,000 sockeye will return to the Skeena system this year, down from initial estimates of up to 800,000 fish.

He says the management plan for the river requires a total closure if counts fall below 400,000 and he blames conditions at sea for the poor returns, but doubts those conditions will affect next year's sockeye spawning cycle.

(CFTK)

trot

Finally, brains being used.

Dave

• Old Timer

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer

A typical AlMo statement in the reply section. Bet she wishes there were salmon farms nearby ;)

Not a very intelligent comment by Ms Morton.  Publicly funded is one thing, but it is not her job to act as a booking agent for Dr. Miller's lab.  Did Ms Morton use professional courtesy to inform Dr. Miller that she should expect samples (possibly unknown origin, state of decomposition, preservation or chain of custody) to come from the public?  That it was going to be broadcasted on the internet like she has done?  The genomic work that Dr. Miller does (as well as the other work done by Fish Health) is not cheap, so sample quality is important or it could be a waste of money.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

When Morton says jump, Miller says how high.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

Now that's funny....   But I'm sure the feedlot boys think that's the case...
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer

When Morton says jump, the fear mongers walk to the nearest bridge.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
A rig out of water catches no fish.