Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Government and Industry must stop blaming wild salmon and take responsibility  (Read 6886 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

Government Must Shift from Blaming “The Wild” to Actually Solving Salmon Farming Woes

http://www.asf.ca/gov-t-must-shift-from-blaming-the-wild-.html

"The Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF) is responding to recent remarks by government and industry in the media, blaming ‘the wild’ for recent outbreaks of Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) in the salmon farming industry.  Yes, ISA is known to be in the wild, but its presence there was never a problem until net cages crowded with salmon caused epidemics.................

When open net salmon farming operates near wild salmon, these populations decline at a faster rate than do wild salmon populations that are not adjacent to the industry.  The Conne River salmon population has declined more than any other monitored river within the province of Newfoundland and Labrador (>70% decline from 1986 to 2011). The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) has assessed the salmon populations of the Conne and Little rivers as threatened.  ISA is not a new disease.  It has followed the industry wherever it has operated in eastern Canada from New Brunswick, where the first outbreak was detected in 1996, to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.  It has caused massive losses for salmon farmers in Norway, Scotland, Chile, and the Faroes.............           "
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer

Government Must Shift from Blaming “The Wild” to Actually Solving Salmon Farming Woes

http://www.asf.ca/gov-t-must-shift-from-blaming-the-wild-.html

"The Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF) is responding to recent remarks by government and industry in the media, blaming ‘the wild’ for recent outbreaks of Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) in the salmon farming industry.  Yes, ISA is known to be in the wild, but its presence there was never a problem until net cages crowded with salmon caused epidemics.................

When open net salmon farming operates near wild salmon, these populations decline at a faster rate than do wild salmon populations that are not adjacent to the industry.  The Conne River salmon population has declined more than any other monitored river within the province of Newfoundland and Labrador (>70% decline from 1986 to 2011). The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) has assessed the salmon populations of the Conne and Little rivers as threatened.  ISA is not a new disease.  It has followed the industry wherever it has operated in eastern Canada from New Brunswick, where the first outbreak was detected in 1996, to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.  It has caused massive losses for salmon farmers in Norway, Scotland, Chile, and the Faroes.............           "

Really  af, how about something relevant to this coast; maybe something about the expected high PSM expected on early Fraser River sockeye and chinook due to warmer than average Fraser River water temperatures, and expected low and warm water in spawning tributaries .
Rather than repeat ably telling us of the woes of the East coast, or problems in Norway or Ireland or wherever because of salmon farms, the fact is we live here, and have had salmon farms on our coast for over 30 years with zero documentation of these farms causing reductions of wild Pacific salmon. 
 We have our own West coast problems, mainly due to climate change, over fishing, and habitat loss.  I think it is far more important to suggest to anglers and FN that it would be in their best long term interests to limit their harvest of Fraser River sockeye or chinook this season, because the only way to increase these populations is to have more spawners.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

.......how about something relevant to this coast......    Rather than repeat ably telling us of the woes of the East coast, or problems in Norway or Ireland or wherever because of salmon farms, the fact is we live here, and have had salmon farms on our coast for over 30 years with zero documentation of these farms causing reductions of wild Pacific salmon. 

You know, I get tired of hearing you repeat talking points taken out of the feedlot industry PR book....  It's a diversionary tactic to try take focus off the feedlots.

Just because you don't have "scientific evidence" that feedlots are killing our west coast wild salmon only means government and industry isn't doing much research and the "research" being done is about "confirming that ISAV and IPNV are not present in BC waters" !! 

When is the last time you heard a credible research agency say that they are going to confirm that the subject they are researching....  doesn't exist?!?  Of course they aren't going to find anything! http://www.watershed-watch.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Exh-2065-NonRT.pdf

I've said this before.....  "Get your head out of the sand!"
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer

Dave, when you repeat the same exercise again and again, and expect different results......
http://

Bassonator

• Old Timer

Dave, when you repeat the same exercise again and again, and expect different results......

What and your lot does'nt, especially showing no evidence only here say from a couple of morons.
Take the T out of Morton.

Novabonker

• Old Timer

What and your lot does'nt, especially showing no evidence only here say from a couple of morons.

And self aggrandizing propaganda from the feedlots......

Dave

• Old Timer

I've said this before.....  "Get your head out of the sand!"
LOL!  af, you're so fixated on salmon farms around the world you're missing whats happening in your own province.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

LOL!  af, you're so fixated on salmon farms around the world you're missing whats happening in your own province.

I think you are as well......   if by some chance DFO changes their approach to doing actual research rather than just trying to confirm their PR talking points.... maybe wild salmon will have a chance.

You feedlot boys would need to come up with a whole new set of lines to defend the feedlots.

Dave

• Old Timer

if by some chance DFO changes their approach to doing actual research rather than just trying to confirm their PR talking points.... maybe wild salmon will have a chance.
/quote]
I don't like being a pessimist but I disagree.  IMO, the only thing that will stop the eventual extinction of summer run Fraser River salmon is a reversal of global warming and climate change, and we both know that's not going to happen anytime soon.  The mean summer temperature in the Fraser has risen 2 degrees C in the last fifty years; the next increase of 2 C will be faster, and that will be the end of summer salmon.
But I bet a pension cheque that people will still be fighting over the last few fish.

Bassonator

• Old Timer

Ok AF and Nova lets get to the brass tacks could you guys supply us with some data please. Number of wild salmon killed by sporties and commies compared to numbers killed by fishfarms. Im patient I can wait for your results..... ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Ok AF and Nova lets get to the brass tacks could you guys supply us with some data please. Number of wild salmon killed by sporties and commies compared to numbers killed by fishfarms. Im patient I can wait for your results..... ;D
  X2. I have not heard the small box crew ever awnser a question. Guess they belong to The Morton and Don Dodger team. :). Happy not to pay into that small window any more. :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:45:33 PM by Fisherbob »

Bassonator

• Old Timer

Still waiting for facts from the "we wont answer camp"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:59:47 PM by Bassonator »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer

I think you are as well......   if by some chance DFO changes their approach to doing actual research rather than just trying to confirm their PR talking points.... maybe wild salmon will have a chance.

You feedlot boys would need to come up with a whole new set of lines to defend the feedlots.

By some chance if Ottawa loosens the purse strings a little more and provides funding to do the things you ask for then maybe that would help also.  Unfortunately, when budgets are cut things are not going to proceed as smoothly as if funding was more plentiful.  As dnibbles said before some things are already being acted upon since Cohen, some are not and some may never be.

Many projects will likely see funding from other sources (PSC Southern and Northern Restoration and Enhancement Funds; Pacific Salmon Foundation, etc.) and involve some level of collaboration with university academia and other non-governmental scientists because it is painfully clear that less and less is coming from government these days and the near future.  Just look at the 2013 Federal Budget and see how much the department is expected to be cut by in the next 3 years.  The federal departments do not print their own money - it comes from Treasury and those decisions above them are made by Federal Parliament. There are projects presently involving funding from these other sources as well as proposals in the works through these same sources.

Here is an example of an ongoing project that involving the UBC, PSF, DFO, Kintama and Rocky Mountaineer Rail Tours:
http://www.psf.ca/newsandmedia/blog/salmon-in-the-news/165-salmon-leukemia-key-to-salmon-declines

Here is an example of an ongoing project involving the CFIA, DFO, FFSBC, Canfisco, SFC, UFFCA and FNFC:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/isa/wild-anadromous-salmonids/eng/1370960326837/1370960742286

Here is an example of a project that is going to be happening soon involving collaboration between the PSF, DFO and GenomeBC:
http://www.genomebc.ca/portfolio/projects/fisheries-projects/salmon-health-initiative/

Novabonker

• Old Timer

I'll say that the "morons" have a much higher IQ than most here.(BTW - Doesn't isn't spelled that way.);D ;D ;D

I don't care who you are - that was funny.

Novabonker

• Old Timer

And as the feedlotters say to me - Do your OWN google. ::)