Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are barbed hooks allowed for rainbow trout fishing in B.C. Lakes?  (Read 13391 times)

IFishTrout

I am a bit new to fishing and I'm not sure if barbed hooks are allowed for rainbow trout. I tried searching up the regulations but couldn't find any info.I am planning on going to Buntzen lake and Lafarge. Thanks :)

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Are barbed hooks allowed for rainbow trout fishing in B.C. Lakes?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

You can use barbed hooks in lakes unless otherwise specified in the regulations. Lafarge and Buntzen you can use barbed hooks if you want.

TacoChris

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »

Not sure what you mean by you could not find any info. Did you look in the freshwater regulations for BC ? You need to have a copy of this years synopsis. It is important you understand how to read the regulations as it is easy to go astray. It is easy to find on line or you can get a copy in a store that sells fishing licences.

Look under region 2 lower mainland the rules are in the first part for the entire region.  The  second section has listings of lakes and rivers by name and is for exceptions to the general regional rules only. This is where you will find things like single barbless hook for a individual lake. As was pointed out Lafarge and Buntzen are not listed by name so the general rules for region 2 apply. Only streams in region 2 must be barbless.

Or you can make it easy and just fish barbless for all lakes and rivers. Many do. I pinch all my barbs and don't need to worry. As long as your hook is sharp and you keep even pressure you will catch as many as barbed. Barbless hooks can penetrate deeper and sometimes they are hard to remove but they do less damage to fish you wish to release.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:01:31 PM »

Yes

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38:06 AM »

Barbless is better if you want to release the ones you don't want to keep. You sometimes have to keep a small one because the barb caused too much damage. That takes a hit on your daily quota.

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

Use barbless no matter what.  If you hook into something small, it has a much better chance of survival with a barbless hook.

Fishing should be a sport, unless you are in the bush and are starving.