Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another "environmentally friendly" salmon feedlot ???  (Read 21079 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Another "environmentally friendly" salmon feedlot ???
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/04/26/nb-cooke-aquaculture-lobster-pesticide.html

Begs the question as to what the feedlots are doing and not getting caught..... ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Another "environmentally friendly" salmon feedlot ???
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:20:31 AM »

Thanks AF- The feedlot choir poo pooed me when I gave an accurate account of the devastation the"farms" had on the lobster fishery in my native Nova Scotia. (Saddle Island) But then again, these guys quote salmon farm science and all the other tripe as biblical truth.Are they that gullible or are they "economical" with facts?

Here's a little read about the honesty and upfront folks at the farm. Be sure to reasd between the lines about government "support". Retch. Reread.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/112300-cooke-aquaculture-slow-to-report-barge-sinking
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »

This is why Morton should be fighting to get Atlantic feedlots out of Washington and the feedlots out of Alaska. Does she not care about her home country wild salmon and sea life? 

curious

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »

Begs the question as to what the feedlots are doing and not getting caught..... ???
Maybe with a little help from their friends ? The fines are peanuts.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/04/26/nb-aquaculture-olscamp-resignation-robichaud.html

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:55:18 AM »

This is why Morton should be fighting to get Atlantic feedlots out of Washington and the feedlots out of Alaska. Does she not care about her home country wild salmon and sea life?
And that has what to do with Nova Scotia? Sweet Fanny Adams.Last time I checked, the USA was independent of Canada. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »

And that has what to do with Nova Scotia? Sweet Fanny Adams.Last time I checked, the USA was independent of Canada. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I really do feel for the Nova Scotia fishing families Novabonker. But where on the world has there been a sustainable wild fishery? Sustainability to me means an industry that is able to grow with the worlds growing population demand. It looks to me like we will not be losing aquaculture as a wild fishery supplement and enhancer any time soon. 

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »

Define "sustainable". How much other fish is used over the life cycle of a farmed salmon- in other words, how much protein to produce how much protein?  You end up in negative territory.   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:52:51 PM by Novabonker »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:12:29 PM »

Define "sustainable". How much other fish is used over the life cycle of a farmed salmon- in other words, how much protein to produce how much protein?  You end up in negative territory.
You tell me what wild fishery is sustainable and how much protein you can depend to rain on it each year first. No differnt than taking from the land sorry to say.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:18:07 PM by Fisherbob »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 05:36:12 AM »

Are you a politician? All fisheries are sustainable if properly managed. To get back to the question about protein, it's between 3 to 5 kilos of protein to produce 1 kilo of farmed fish. Would you like some more facts on the feed being used? It's not pretty.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:50:20 AM by Novabonker »

dnibbles

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »

Are you a politician? All fisheries are sustainable if properly managed.

This is not true. If a fish stock is in a period of low productivity (< or =1 R/S), then the fishery is not sustainable (i.e. it will slowly but surely progress towards extirpation). Only appropriate management of the fishery is to close it (see east coast cod)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »

This is not true. If a fish stock is in a period of low productivity (< or =1 R/S), then the fishery is not sustainable (i.e. it will slowly but surely progress towards extirpation). Only appropriate management of the fishery is to close it (see east coast cod)

Um, the east coast cod debacle is probably why I live in BC now. IF it had been properly managed, I would probably still be in the east , doing what my family did since the 1700's when we first landed here. I notice nobody wants to address the fact about the amount of protein required to raise an Atlantic. Must all be politicians, ;)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

It all depends who you choose to listen to for feed rates.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed_conversion_ratio

dnibbles

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »

Um, the east coast cod debacle is probably why I live in BC now. IF it had been properly managed, I would probably still be in the east , doing what my family did since the 1700's when we first landed here. I notice nobody wants to address the fact about the amount of protein required to raise an Atlantic. Must all be politicians, ;)

True, the cod fishery was mismanaged horribly at higher productivities. Unfortunately it struggled to rebuild even in the absence of fishing. Many wild pacific salmon stocks cannot be sustainably harvested in directed fisheries anymore.

There are fish foods that can achieve a feed conversion ratio better than 1:1.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »

There are fish foods that can achieve a feed conversion ratio better than 1:1.

I like how you say that with a straight face......  If the industry was honest about it they would tell us how many pounds of "live fish" it takes to produce a pound of "live" atlantic. The ratio is probably closer to 10:1

Taking the weight of the fish oil and dried compressed fish meal it takes to put a pound of atlantic filet on a grocery shelf is not an honest comparison....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »

Wow. Just imagine how much fish meal Alaska would be using to farm 1.7 billion salmon a year. Then add what the atlantic feed lots use in Washington and the chicken and pig farmers. Then there is the pet food industry.