Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery steelhead returns to the Chilliwack-Vedder this season  (Read 17822 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery steelhead returns to the Chilliwack-Vedder this season
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

The chilliwack system is the most heavily system in BC, making it a classified system would DESTROY other near by systems which experience less pressure I think.

A pen in the river would never be allowed as any excess food will be washed downstream as well as any infection or virus that the fish could possibly get that then could potentially wipe out wild fish. Much like the fish farms in the salt, not good for our waters...

Makes sense.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery steelhead returns to the Chilliwack-Vedder this season
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »

The chilliwack system is the most heavily system in BC, making it a classified system would DESTROY other near by systems which experience less pressure I think.

A pen in the river would never be allowed as any excess food will be washed downstream as well as any infection or virus that the fish could possibly get that then could potentially wipe out wild fish. Much like the fish farms in the salt, not good for our waters...

The river can not just be pumped full of fish as they will then impact the wild fish of the river. The hatchery fish are there to be killed, not to spawn with wild fish or in the wild on their own.

What do you guys see wrong with the chilliwack system anyways? It has the largest return of steelhead in BC so sees the most pressure. I think people here are saying there's problems because they are having problems catching fish all of a sudden. Everyone is quick to point at the system as the problem, when actually it's the angler that is more of the problem. This year has had a lower return than previous years for sure, but anglers haven't changed their game to get fish. They just fish the same water like they would with a huge return (last year) and just expect the fish to be there. With the growing number of anglers fishing the chilliwack system each year there is more and more better anglers on the water, so if you're not upping your game you're going to get fewer and fewer fish. The only problem really wrong with the system is the clay banks, yes some stabilization would be amazing and keep the water clear but omg the crowds at the slaughter holes would be TERRIBLE in salmon season during low water. Im positive the hatchery would never say no to more money to buy some new equipment maybe maintain the structures or vehicles but the hatchery doesnt really have a say on the number of fish they can produce (that I am aware of anyways, please someone correct me if I am wrong) I'm sure there is a cap on the number of fish they are allowed to produce which is set out by a regional biologist. Also if all the brood fish are small fish then that means less eggs for production and results in less fish returning.

Largest in the lower mainland yes, in BC no.....
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.