Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invasive Species Question  (Read 2516 times)

akasha

Invasive Species Question
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »

Been trying to figure this out for a while, read a bunch fo threads on here but nothing really answered my question.

What if I catch a common invasive species such as Brown Bullhead, Pumpkin Seeds, etc. Does it need to be reported? Should we put it back (Catch and Release), should we kill it (remove it frmo the system)?

What exactly is the protocol for dealing with invasive species?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Invasive Species Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:23:13 PM »

Been trying to figure this out for a while, read a bunch fo threads on here but nothing really answered my question.

What if I catch a common invasive species such as Brown Bullhead, Pumpkin Seeds, etc. Does it need to be reported? Should we put it back (Catch and Release), should we kill it (remove it frmo the system)?

What exactly is the protocol for dealing with invasive species?
In my opinion, you could never be faulted for reporting aquatic invasive species to MOE.  If you contact your local MOE office they should have a good idea already if AIS have been confirmed in a particular body of water or not.  The areas of known or suspected occurance has been extensively documented already, so they should be able to tell you if you found something new or not.

For the best information you should contact the BC AIS coordinator:
Matthias.Herborg@gov.bc.ca

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »

If you're absolutely sure it's not a native species or natural hybrid, kill it, take closeup photos, freeze it, and then send the photos and a location report to MOE as Shuswapsteve said. They'll tell you if it's already been documented or if they want the frozen specimen. That's what I did with a yellow perch a few years ago......

akasha

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »

Yeah I catch a lot of pumpkin seeds (one day I caught well over 20) so there is a pretty good population of them where we fish. Sounds like a good plan. I will do that the next time I get one.