Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New policy gives government power to muzzle DFO scientists  (Read 6751 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: New policy gives government power to muzzle DFO scientists
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »

Now the Harper gov't is trying to muzzle US scientists as well.....starts about 1:40 minutes into the recording. The Senior DFO bureaucrat interviewed at the end doesn't do a very convincing song and dance.

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2335251003,2335251292,2335251886

First, these policies stem from the Privy Council.  Unfortunately, it is left up to departmental bureaucrats to try to justify it and as usual they (as well as the politicians they report to) fail miserably at convincing the general public.  The way the US handles this is much better.  I agree with the scientist interviewed by the CBC that this would be a good compromise.  However, with pipelines being the flavour of the day it might be better to keep these tight controls in place...just to be on the safe side...lol (sarcasm).

TacoChris

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »

The Cohen commission was introduced years ago. The government scientists had no option not to testify. One has to wonder if their would have been a inquiry at all with the direction the Harper government is now heading.

Confidentiality agreements reviewed by government bureaucrats. Why do they now need this? If you don't like the findings you can ramp up the media spin in advance if you can not bury it entirely. Their responce to any negative publicity is to change policy and remove those in the civil servants that protect us. Big oil has Harper in their pocket. Environmental concerns get in the way of their obscene profits. It is sad that all parties are influenced by special interest groups.

Canada had no problems with scientists in the past. Why change now? Dissenting opinions should be welcomed and debated. That is what science does. Not every one agrees or is correct. What we think is right now often proves incorrect.

If politicans like Harper had their way we would still  think the world was flat.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »

I hope this does not interfer with the recently announced study that Kristy Miller was given the go ahead on.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/03/15/muzzling_of_canadian_government_scientists_sent_before_information_commissioner_suzanne_legault.html

dnibbles

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »

I hope this does not interfer with the recently announced study that Kristy Miller was given the go ahead on.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/03/15/muzzling_of_canadian_government_scientists_sent_before_information_commissioner_suzanne_legault.html

The involvement of Riddell and the PSF gives me hope that this study will be relatively unencumbered by our Dear Leader's PCO. PSF has major financial chops, so at this point I'm excited to see what comes of this. I just hope people of all leanings are able to take the results at face value, even if they don't line up with their previous beliefs/expectations.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

The involvement of Riddell and the PSF gives me hope that this study will be relatively unencumbered by our Dear Leader's PCO. PSF has major financial chops, so at this point I'm excited to see what comes of this. I just hope people of all leanings are able to take the results at face value, even if they don't line up with their previous beliefs/expectations.
I agree and hope you are right but knowing what has happened on other fronts one has to be a bit wary.Of course it is the work of Alex that has helped force the governments hand to get this scientific study going as the Fed's and FOC were feeling the heat on this controversy

Also I hope it does not take years to get the results and I have been told by a forum member that Riddell is a man of high principles and ability.

dnibbles

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

Also I hope it does not take years to get the results and I have been told by a forum member that Riddell is a man of high principles and ability.

Riddell left DFO from his position of Section Head of Salmon and Freshwater Ecosystems so that he could more effectively pursue some of the projects and work that I think he felt wasn't possible from within the dept. This would be a perfect example, and I expect a fair and balanced approach.