Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shotgun  (Read 15887 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Shotgun
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25:26 AM »

If you're a lefty looking for a pump the bps is your guy.
If you're looking for a 30-06 have a look at the ballistics comparison of the 7mm as well, it is a smaller diameter bullet but man does it fly straight and packs just as much punch. Food for thought.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »

If you're a lefty looking for a pump the bps is your guy.
If you're looking for a 30-06 have a look at the ballistics comparison of the 7mm as well, it is a smaller diameter bullet but man does it fly straight and packs just as much punch. Food for thought.

Thanks Noah, I shall feed my thoughts.

kid fisherman

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »

Any questions you have over on hbc just ask away, someone will always help you out!

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »

I also added an upgraded sight for my bps.  Its called a " Bird Buster",
It sits right at the end of the barrel on the rail and is magnettic.
No tools or modifying needed.
Around $20 at Wholesale.
You'll love it and when the light hits it,  it lights right up for easy targetting.
Worth looking into.
You'll love the BPS.
Mines all black and didnt like the camo ones myself.
Let us know how it all goes.
The Fishin Musician

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 10:57:43 AM »

Shotgun or birds, I prefer semi-auto, smoother shooting, less recoil specially with all the new high velocity shells on the market.  I alway say, buy the best you can afford and take care of it, it will save you money in a long run.  I now shooting a Benilli SBE 2, very well shooting gun with minimal recoil. My other friend just got a Benilli Vinci, which is the new redesigned version of the SBE 2.    For your big game rifle, 30-06, 7mm, 300mag, 300wsm... Don't really matter too much but make sure you get a gun with a clip, drop plate sucks!!    If you only going to get 1 rile for all your big game hunting, I would suggest you for a 300mag or 300wsm. With a 180gr bullet, it will knock down bear, deer, moose, elk bison. Some people will say that is over kill for deer, wasting too much meat.. But who cars, deer down is a deer down, so what you lost couple packs of burger or steak... It's better to have some waste rather then the trophy class deer that got away wounded.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »

Shotgun or birds, I prefer semi-auto, smoother shooting, less recoil specially with all the new high velocity shells on the market.  I alway say, buy the best you can afford and take care of it, it will save you money in a long run.  I now shooting a Benilli SBE 2, very well shooting gun with minimal recoil. My other friend just got a Benilli Vinci, which is the new redesigned version of the SBE 2.    For your big game rifle, 30-06, 7mm, 300mag, 300wsm... Don't really matter too much but make sure you get a gun with a clip, drop plate sucks!!    If you only going to get 1 rile for all your big game hunting, I would suggest you for a 300mag or 300wsm. With a 180gr bullet, it will knock down bear, deer, moose, elk bison. Some people will say that is over kill for deer, wasting too much meat.. But who cars, deer down is a deer down, so what you lost couple packs of burger or steak... It's better to have some waste rather then the trophy class deer that got away wounded.

Thanks Steelhead_King, I have decided on a 30-06 rifle, probably a Browning A-Bolt for big game.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »

Overkill? I'd say... I've seen entire front quarters blown out from a 300 on a deer

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »

Overkill? I'd say... I've seen entire front quarters blown out from a 300 on a deer

My last mule deer that I shot blow the whole right front quarter too with my 300mag because i took the shot right through shoulder.   So what I lost a few roast, steaks and few packs or burgers..some times you have to willing to lose before you gain... break some bones, drop it on its own track, let him bite the dust..  yea to lots of people said its a waste of good meat but I am willing to exchange all those meat for my 190 class buck stone dead on its track..

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »

I guess some hunt for ego and others hunt for meat.
My 7mm 170gr. Drops adult moose in it's tracks. It's all about shot placement right?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 12:41:11 AM »

I guess some hunt for ego and others hunt for meat.
My 7mm 170gr. Drops adult moose in it's tracks. It's all about shot placement right?

I confess, i am trophy hunter.. if i want meat, its cheaper to buy them why invest so much time and money for it?. anyway, that's another topic.  I do agreed shot  placement is important but if your gun is under power and shot is off then you loose the animal..  To minimize this problem and maximize the chance for a kill, power is the only option. Really, 300mag is not that big of a gun. It's way less power then my new long range rifle - Sauer 202 highland in 300 weatherby mag.   Don't get me wrong I do have many guns in my safe, but if I can only pick one for all around, 300mag or WSM will be my choice. 

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 06:35:12 AM »

How do you Iike the 300 short anyway? I've been thinking about pickin me up one for awhile just haven't pulled the trigger.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »

I got both 300 mag and WSM..  Both in Tikka T3 lite stainless.. The WSM shoot 10ft/s faster according to the  factory dyno. i first got a 300 mag and let my buddy use it on of of the trip and totally forgot about it so I went and got a WSM.. Lol    They both shoot the same for me but some ppl say the WSM got a touch less kick because it got little more powder burn....   

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »

With regards to the shotgun, the length of the barrel does not always translate to greater accuracy at longer range shots. Also if you are going to be hunting small game and doing some upland bird hunting a shorter barrel on a shotgun will make it easier to to get the gun started especially when hunting in thick cover. By shorter gun barrel length, let us say (24 to 26"). Getting a membership at a gun club which has a trap range is also a good thing as shooting trap will really help to improve one's shotgunning skills.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »

With regards to the shotgun, the length of the barrel does not always translate to greater accuracy at longer range shots. Also if you are going to be hunting small game and doing some upland bird hunting a shorter barrel on a shotgun will make it easier to to get the gun started especially when hunting in thick cover. By shorter gun barrel length, let us say (24 to 26"). Getting a membership at a gun club which has a trap range is also a good thing as shooting trap will really help to improve one's shotgunning skills.

Very good point, thank you.

Humpy

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »

I use a 300 WSM and its perfect for any big game animal, I'd rather kill the deer in its tracks, lose some meat but not let it suffer then have it get away wounded.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.