Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack  (Read 48853 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »

I do find myself troubled by her continued silence about Alaskan ranched salmon, marketed as wild-caught, which will be the obvious beneficiaries of this farmed salmon boycott. Does she not understand how salmon ranching works or could affect genetics and diseases in wild fish? Hatchery-raised native species released in vast numbers to co-mingle and compete with wild salmon in their oceanic feeding grounds? If wild salmon are so sacred, how can she not see and be concerned about the risks from Alaskan, Russian and Japanese ranching? She seems like a bright woman so I understand why it raises alarm bells about her true motives.

Not sure how sincere your comments are, and I suspect they are just more of the typical Morton bashing we've become accustomed to from the pro feedlot crew... 

From a realistic and logical perspective Morton can't be expected to solve all issues related to the survival of BC's wild salmon. While I am sure you would love for her to take the focus off the feedlots, common sense is pretty clear that you will be most successful if you focus, rather than using a scatter gun approach as you and the pro feedlot crew seem to suggest.

While there are other factors affecting the survival of wild salmon, removing the open pens from the ocean is the single factor that can be fixed in a short period of time.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 08:47:03 AM »

On the other side of the pond the fish farmers are playing "softly softly catchy monkey"

http://forargyll.com/2013/01/two-leaked-emails-tell-fishy-tales-of-salmon-farming-in-outer-hebrides/

I can see why some of the fish farmers don't like salmon ranching. It affects the amount of money all those industries that help sponser there campaign to influence government make. Like EWOS and the chemical brotherhood that keep there fish alive.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »

See you all at the Boycott today. ;D ;D

StillAqua

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »

Not sure how sincere your comments are, and I suspect they are just more of the typical Morton bashing we've become accustomed to from the pro feedlot crew... 

From a realistic and logical perspective Morton can't be expected to solve all issues related to the survival of BC's wild salmon. While I am sure you would love for her to take the focus off the feedlots, common sense is pretty clear that you will be most successful if you focus, rather than using a scatter gun approach as you and the pro feedlot crew seem to suggest.

While there are other factors affecting the survival of wild salmon, removing the open pens from the ocean is the single factor that can be fixed in a short period of time.

Your diversion tactics aside AF, I support Justice Cohens recommendations on the fish farm industry. It's a realistic view with realistic steps that can be taken to manage fish farming in BC given the current scientific uncertainties.
Unlike you, I believe Alex Morton is quite capable of addressing and writing on two issues at once, particularly when salmon farming and ocean ranching share many of the same potential problems for wild stocks.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 09:55:29 AM »

Such logic fails to recognize some of the more obvious options......like stop fishing them or using fisheries that are more selective.  But as we all well know, the campaign against salmon farms has been more like "don't buy farm salmon get a wild salmon instead."  Where is the logic in that????
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

Pictures I and my wife took are here. http://www.facebook.com/groups/111365508874859/permalink/549221085089297/

Videos to follow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

norton

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »

Maybe Dave will bring along one his sacred farmed salmon , then we can barbecue it up , and feed it to the dogs!

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »

Norton. Is sacred salmon not used in pet food? Seems like a waste to me.

dnibbles

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »

Maybe Dave will bring along one his sacred farmed salmon , then we can barbecue it up , and feed it to the dogs!

Pretty sure wild salmon are filling up Alpo cans too! uhoh!

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »

Pretty sure wild salmon are filling up Alpo cans too! uhoh!

Exactly. Why feed a dog feedlot salmon when you can get perfectly good pet food made from sacred wild salmon. I have never seen Dr. Morton say anything wrong about this. Save the sacred wild salmon. Only eat wild. 

norton

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »

Yea , I guess they use wild salmon for dog food so they don't poison them with farmed salmon.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »

Exactly. Why feed a dog feedlot salmon when you can get perfectly good pet food made from sacred wild salmon. I have never seen Dr. Morton say anything wrong about this. Save the sacred wild salmon. Only eat wild. 
And then pick the stock to harvest, Good luck on that.