Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bluefin tuna sells for a record $1.76 million in Tokyo  (Read 3619 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Bluefin tuna sells for a record $1.76 million in Tokyo
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:48:48 PM »

Truely an eye popping amount for a single fish!
I cannot possibly imagine how much a piece of sushi from that fish would cost.
It does make us think about the ethics of eating a fish that is probably close to extinction.
Bluefin tuna is legally harvested by commercial fisherman in Nova Scotia and available at selective restaurants in Vancouver.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/2013/01/04/bluefin-tuna-sells-for-record-tokyo/rkFFaYT8gXK7B9C7jL2SGO/story.html

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Bluefin tuna sells for a record $1.76 million in Tokyo
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »

That works out to a cost of $225 per 1 oz. serving. But that's before the restaurant's markup of 100% or so.

Can't imagine paying almost $500 for a piece of Tuna.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »

That works out to a cost of $225 per 1 oz. serving. But that's before the restaurant's markup of 100% or so.

Can't imagine paying almost $500 for a piece of Tuna.....

I've got some 4 ounce cans I can let you have for $100. ( Don't tell anybody. They'll all want one')
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:30:42 AM »

I've got some 4 ounce cans I can let you have for $100. ( Don't tell anybody. They'll all want one')

Why don't you give em to me and we'll call it a Christmas present....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »

Hopefully the Tuna you have is radiation free unlike its Japanese counterpart!

StillAqua

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »

Just file it under "strange things that the Japanese sometimes do".....strange to us anyway.  ;)

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »

Last fall I went to my favourite Japanese restaurant and the chef temped me with freshly flown in Nova Scotia bluefin tuna.
Without blinking an eye I ordered half a portion of bluefin 0-toro sushi (4 pieces) at $48++ and savored every morsel of it.
As soon as I swallowed the last bite, regret set in as I had once again succumbed to my temptation.
I did not go back to that restaurant again until the bluefin season was over to avoid any further temptation.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »

LOL...back in the '50s Bluefin Tuna sold for a nickel a pound...only the poor would eat it...nowadays, people spend hundreds of dollars for the status quot of eating an endangered species...sad.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »

LOL...back in the '50s Bluefin Tuna sold for a nickel a pound...only the poor would eat it...nowadays, people spend hundreds of dollars for the status quot of eating an endangered species...sad.

same story with lobsters.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »

like others, the rarer they get the more expensive they become, the greater their status to the trendy and wealthy; soon to be the caviar of fish thus they are endangered.

finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »

So true. The rarer the fish, the more money they ask for it. Blue-fin is way more rarer than shark. I have seen shows in which they actually use a plane to spot the rare fish. For sharks, you just need to chum the water and they will show up in bundle. I don't see any reason why they don't ban blue fin if they ban shark fin soup.