Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Urged To Not Renew Leases  (Read 8781 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: BC Urged To Not Renew Leases
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »

Your point SS is that we are just burying those diseased Atlantic Salmon here because they need a proper grave rather than been eaten. Very humble of you. I see they did a lot of that in Chile the other year. All very touching really. No problems with cigarettes too, just don't inhale.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

brownmancheng

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:17 AM »

People (ff critics) do not understand isav ihnv.
You are right we are not all biologists. However, it doesn't take a biologist to understand these foreign diseases are not native to this ecosystem and should not Be transferred to our wild stocks.

There are types of hepatitis that doesn't technically kill you. Its ok to have disease as long as it wont be actual cause of death right??

Will Shuswapsteve prick his finger?? I rest my case.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »

Pro feedlot folks like SS use their "expertise" to talk down to ordinary folks that use common sense.....  The term "where there is smoke there is fire" is not fact as science will suggest, however it is common sense.

"Experts" like SS would like you to accept that until science proves there is no fire, you shouldn't worry about the smoke. If you talk about the smoke....... they ridicule your lack of scientific knowledge.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »

You are right we are not all biologists. However, it doesn't take a biologist to understand these foreign diseases are not native to this ecosystem and should not Be transferred to our wild stocks.

There are types of hepatitis that doesn't technically kill you. Its ok to have disease as long as it wont be actual cause of death right??

I misinterpreted a recent post by adriaticum and don't want to do the same with yours so help me out here ... just what is your case?  Are you suggesting IHN is not native to the Pacific coast? Or are you just agreeing you are not a biologist like SS?

brownmancheng

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »

I misinterpreted a recent post by adriaticum and don't want to do the same with yours so help me out here ... just what is your case?  Are you suggesting IHN is not native to the Pacific coast? Or are you just agreeing you are not a biologist like SS?

You are right we are not all biologists.

What point are you trying to make? That I am not a biologist?

Ok agreed. But that does not mean FF are safe in our waters

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:03 AM »

Your point SS is that we are just burying those diseased Atlantic Salmon here because they need a proper grave rather than been eaten. Very humble of you. I see they did a lot of that in Chile the other year. All very touching really. No problems with cigarettes too, just don't inhale.

Actually, that isn’t my point all.  I am not really sure what you are ranting about, but I suspect you put a lot of thought into this post so thanks for relaying the information.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »

Pro feedlot folks like SS use their "expertise" to talk down to ordinary folks that use common sense.....  The term "where there is smoke there is fire" is not fact as science will suggest, however it is common sense.

"Experts" like SS would like you to accept that until science proves there is no fire, you shouldn't worry about the smoke. If you talk about the smoke....... they ridicule your lack of scientific knowledge.

Nice deflection, but I never attempted to ridicule anyone about their lack of scientific knowledge nor did I refer to myself as an “expert” in this thread.  I definitely did not say that there is nothing to worry about.  However, I am not surprised by your latest tactics by making this more personal than it has to be.  Much of what I posted in this thread is readily available in Cohen’s Final Report.  For instance, the information I relayed earlier in this thread is in Volume 1.  You are naturally frustrated because now that Cohen’s Final Report is out in the public domain you are having a much harder time finding new material to twist.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »

First, let’s be clear….I never insinuated that because you may not be a biologist that you cannot possibly understand any of this (i.e. ISAV or IHNV).   You are correct that it does not necessarily take a biologist to understand these concepts; however, it does require some effort on your part to get the right information, to be able to understand it and to be able to ask the right questions from those involved with fish diseases if needed.  For instance, IHN is not a foreign disease.  Wild salmon here are already carriers of IHNV.  Information on this disease is readily available on the internet (i.e. US or Canadian Governments, OIE, universities, fish farm industry and fish hatcheries) and was particularly noted in the testimony at the Cohen Inquiry along with ISA (and ISAV).  I am not going to rehash the IHN thread all over again, but if you search for it on this site you can visit any of the links I provided or feel free to find your own if you disagree with mine.

With your hepatitis example you actually made a good observation that many farm fish critics do not seem to accept – just because you get a virus does not necessarily mean that you will develop a deadly disease.  Developing the disease can involve other factors which are likely more important than the virus itself (i.e. environmental conditions, physiological stress).  I did not say that it is okay to have disease, but it is important to know the difference between viruses and diseases.

curious

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »

From Judge Cohen's report
"I accept the evidence that the state of scientific research about sockeye - fish farm interactions is not sufficiently developed to rule out diseases on salmon farms as contributing to the decline of Fraser River sockeye and posing future risks." volume 3, page 20
"In my view, the risk of serious harm that salmon farms pose to Fraser River sockeye along their entire migration route - not just 1 km from the mouth of the river - needs to be considered and reflected in siting criteria." volume 3, page 22.
"In summary, I have concluded that net-pen salmon farming in the Discovery Islands poses a risk of serious harm to Fraser River sockeye through the transfer of diseases and pathogens." volume 3, page 25.

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opinion/letters/179572741.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:27:46 PM by curious »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

"In my view, the risk of serious harm that salmon farms pose to Fraser River sockeye along their entire migration route - not just 1 km from the mouth of the river - needs to be considered and reflected in siting criteria." volume 3, page 22.
"In summary, I have concluded that net-pen salmon farming in the Discovery Islands poses a risk of serious harm to Fraser River sockeye through the transfer of diseases and pathogens." volume 3, page 25.

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opinion/letters/179572741.html

I am also curious what bright mind decided to put open net pen farms in the ocean right in the path of migrating salmon.
Ocean covers 75% of earth surface and they chose right smack in the middle of the road.
Brilliant.
That's the guy whose head I'd like on my wall...