Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "None of these fish are biting...Tamahi Rapids on Vedder"  (Read 10641 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
"None of these fish are biting...Tamahi Rapids on Vedder"
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »

Personally I never had luck in water like Tamahi Rapids; but I saw this video and discovered a new term "Pocket Flossing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY2I-pyKuuU

So now flossing is not just for sockeye in the fraser, but the vedder?

So is it true what the guy in the utube vids says, fish won't bite in this turbulent water?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:44:35 PM by dennisK »

NiceFish

• Old Timer
Re: "None of these fish are biting...Tamahi Rapids on Vedder"
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »

I have had a few, and I mean very few bites on spinners behind rocks like the larger two on the top left of the photo. Have never really tried to fish white water like in the lower part of the picture but I do believe it's very hard for the fish to see your presentation as they are very focused on moving through these types of water, so yeah i would believe that flossing them can be achieved if you know what you are doing.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:15:28 PM »

This cupcakes happens every year. Once we get the first big rain the fish make there move and begin to shoot up river fast. Once the fish get to Tamahi Rapids, they take the path of least resistance, which just happens to be the water along the egdes by your feet. Now come all the Heros who dip there hooks infront of there feet and floss out the traveling coho. Its to bad it cant be put to a stop, Yes you can catch fish in this water properly but not where any of these guys are fishing... I was able to get 5 fish to bite in this picture 2 days ago, and look no one is fishing there..... ::)
The Bigger The Better!

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »

The giant boulder just below the right side of this picture used to produce really well for me over the years fishing golf ball sizes of roe under a float! Used to chuckle at the gong show above me! 8)

Go get'em kids!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:15:28 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »

The giant boulder just below the right side of this picture used to produce really well for me over the years fishing golf ball sizes of roe under a float! Used to chuckle at the gong show above me! 8)

Go get'em kids!
Yes, "The Boulder Hole" was very good too, before a flood changed it. This is before TOW'ing was discovered.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »

Yes, "The Boulder Hole" was very good too, before a flood changed it. This is before TOW'ing was discovered.

So true Chris. cheers
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

islanddude

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »

We have the same problem here  on the Quinsam River. I watched a group of fly fisherman from Europe flossing in a section of fast water.We had finally got some rain and the river had colored up where the fish would have had a tough time seeing your presentation. They had five fish on the beach between the four of them

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »

We have the same problem here  on the Quinsam River. I watched a group of fly fisherman from Europe flossing in a section of fast water.We had finally got some rain and the river had colored up where the fish would have had a tough time seeing your presentation. They had five fish on the beach between the four of them
Flossing with a fly line? Next you will say they floss with a corkie or wool. :o ;D ;D

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »

i never fish on weekends but broke my own rule and went to tamahi this morning, my favorite spot was already taken so i watched t  the 4 guys fishing,one bonked a dirty chum
then my buddy said they had bare hooks so we told them to put some wool on ,they dident have any. we went home after looking at other spots which were all crazy busy.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 06:56:07 AM »

They should make that a no fishing zone!! When they snag a fish they have to run all the way down to calmer water which is annoying if your fishing the runs below!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »

They should make that a no fishing zone!! When they snag a fish they have to run all the way down to calmer water which is annoying if your fishing the runs below!

Why should they do that? It can be productive water if fished ethically. They need to enforce rules and regs rather than shut down spots on the river like they did for limit hole...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:29:54 AM »

The rapids are so fast even if you did fish it right with that many  people crammed into the area fishing without snagging is almost impossible. I fished that area once in the past and for the few hours that i was there i did not see even one fair hooked fish.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

The rapids are so fast even if you did fish it right with that many  people crammed into the area fishing without snagging is almost impossible. I fished that area once in the past and for the few hours that i was there i did not see even one fair hooked fish.

How does the number of people fishing an area define them as flossers? I've fished that area plenty of times and can do quite well with roe or egg sacks in the calmer/softer spots.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Bandit420

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »

Im glad 90% of these snaggers dont go home with fish. the other 10% do go home with fish because they use barbed hooks. id like to go behind every single one of them  and push them in the river one by one. ;D
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »

Im glad 90% of these snaggers dont go home with fish. the other 10% do go home with fish because they use barbed hooks. id like to go behind every single one of them  and push them in the river one by one. ;D

Oh come on, look at the bright side. All those flossers/snaggers/beeks concentrated at the Tamahi, KWB and a few other popular spots is what keeps miles of river available for pleasant fishing. Nothing beats arriving to the river at 9:00 AM after a good night sleep to find your favourite spot empty - only a couple hundred yards up or downstream away from the ongoing gong show. ;D

Please, please , do not close the Tamahi Rapids to fishing.