Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snagging at train tressle  (Read 25599 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: snagging at train tressle
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »

Two were stopping and interviewing anglers in vehicles. The other Officer was interviewing anglers actually fishing.  They were there about an hour and then left to do the same at Tamihi.
No, they weren't holding hands, they were doing their job and doing it well.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »

I would not do that job solo ....I see no problem with the back up, 2 is sufficient but 3 is way better than none.

rickjames_2

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »

I have a couple of modest proposals to reform the Chilliwack/Vedder Fishery:

• close the hatchery or at the least stop stocking the river. The 2 prime native species, coho and steelhead seem to be doing quite well judging by the number of wild fish caught as are pinks, the summer run of sockeye and chum even though there have been some issues with low returns on that species. The hatchery could be used to raise fish for stocking other less fished systems in the area. However I feel don't we need it and the funds could go to better enforcement and habitat maintenance. After all any extra enforcement is better over the negligible amount we see these days
  • charge a daily angling fee. Even a modest charge in the $5 to $10 per day range would dissuade most causal meat anglers from fishing. Everyone would have to display a visible date marked  permit. This is done in other jurisdictions. Some harvest could be allowed - no more than 2 fish a day of all species. Coho and steelhead via a tag system only. Tags would have a charge and be limited. Availability would possibly be best via a lottery

Now I am sure a lot of people who bemoan the growth of flossing and the continuation of snagging (just as prevalent 40 years ago when I first fished the river) will find such suggestions unpalatable but the problem is the over produced availability of fish and the easy low cost access. That's what brings so many people with no ethical standards or regard for even existing regs to the river. Make 'em pay and reduce the tangible rewards, those people will be gone.

Cheers

Personally, I would take exception to a daily fishing surcharge on the Vedder. I am just finishing my university degree and honestly in the past years would not have been able to afford to fish if I had to pay $5-10 a day. Just because I have less money does not mean I am less ethical.

Just seems to unfairly hit those of a lower income, no? How elitist do we want to make fishing? I keep very few fish(I don't like the taste), I do it for enjoyment. By your recommendation I would be out at least another $300-$600. And again, that is with a so called 'modest charge.'

On another note, does anyone know how effective Washington States Anti-Snagging rule is? From their regs:

Anti-Snagging Rule Except when fishing with
a buoyant lure (with no weights added to the
line or lure), or trolling from a vessel or floating
device, terminal fishing gear is restricted to a
lure or bait with one single-point hook. Hooks
must measure ¾" or less from point to shank,
and must be attached to or below the lure or
bait. Weights may not be attached below or less
than 12" above the lure or bait.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.