Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natives fishing  (Read 6710 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Natives fishing
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »

I find it interesting that many people are not aware of the rules natives have to follow when fishing.
Unless there are specific instructions for a particular river.
"NATIVE SPORT FISHERMEN HAVE TO ABIDE BY THE SAME RULES EVERYONE ELSE DOES, EXCEPT THEY DON'T NEED A LICENSE".
That's all.
So even when they are fishing on their land, your land, my land, they have to fish properly and they don't need a license.
Any snagging, flossing, bombing, throwing beer bottles at them, saturating the water with cannabis smoke is illegal and they will get spanked by the Conservations Officers for that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:36:23 PM by adriaticum »

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Natives fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »

They have not done anything to the natives based on that Cap coho youtube video  ;D Stomping fish OK?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:12:42 PM »

thanks for giving my cannabis secret away, now how am i going to catch any fish.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »

I suspect that doesn't apply when they are fishing on their own reserve since they are allowed to use nets.

Some interesting info here: http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/?id=1072

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:24:18 PM »

Last weekend I observed natives snagging with treble hooks on their reserve  in mid river by Happy Hollow Rd. DFO came and confiscated rods and the fish from them. ;D ;D

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »

I suspect that doesn't apply when they are fishing on their own reserve since they are allowed to use nets.

Some interesting info here: http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/?id=1072

Actually no, they have to follow the rules.
Unless there are exceptions posted specifically for that band on that piece of land.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »

"NATIVE SPORT FISHERMEN HAVE TO ABIDE BY THE SAME RULES EVERYONE ELSE DOES, EXCEPT THEY DON'T NEED A LICENSE".

I also heard these exact same words straight from a fisherys officer on the weekend while fishing the chilliwack river. Interesting to hear it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

Those natives you speak of were dealt with this weekend.  :-X They were even nice enough to give me there roe from the socks and wild coho they killed.
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »

Interesting, I always thought they were allowed.
Will definitely be calling it in now, as this year I have seen it a lot on sensitive systems such as the Nanaimo, Gold, etc.
It bothered me a lot, but I figured there was nothing I could do about it. Jerks were even keeping the fish alive in little live wells up until they left.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »

Those natives you speak of were dealt with this weekend.  :-X They were even nice enough to give me there roe from the socks and wild coho they killed.
BigFisher, did you personally see the sockeye?  If so this is serious and Soowahlie should be made aware; this band is on record to assist in restoring Cultus Lake sockeye and Band Council should deal with the fishers.  And I believe they would if aware of the problem. 

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »

BigFisher, did you personally see the sockeye?  If so this is serious and Soowahlie should be made aware; this band is on record to assist in restoring Cultus Lake sockeye and Band Council should deal with the fishers.  And I believe they would if aware of the problem.  

I caught one guy who whacked a cultus lake sockeye thinking it was a chum. He sounded like a tourist so I just told him that he should not have killed that fish, explained to him the colouration of the fish and that he will be fined if caught with it. He just threw the fish into the water and end of story.
I suppose if it was someone local I probably would have given him more of a lecture.

Dave, sorry but I highly doubt the big wigs at the Soowahlie band give a diddle.
The all know who fishes and how they fish.

I do say, I must admit that I saw some native fellas fishing properly and one guy released a monster hatchery coho because he foul hooked it. Coho was at least 12lb.
So it's not all bad.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:48:10 PM by adriaticum »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

Dave, sorry but I highly doubt the big wigs at the Soowahlie band give a diddle.

Totally disagree.

If anyone can show me Soowahlie band members are killing Cultus Lake sockeye prove it with photos or your own word and I will take it to their council.  

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »

Totally disagree.

If anyone can show me Soowahlie band members are killing Cultus Lake sockeye prove it with photos or your own word and I will take it to their council.  

I believe I posted a picture several years ago with 100 fish dead caught in the net on their property. Not all sockeye and nobody knows who'd done it.

bluenoser

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »

I've never seen them use anything but big treble hooks with a wrap of pencil lead for weight.