Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "The View From Above'  (Read 13178 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: "The View From Above'
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »

There are lots who fish without attempting to floss,snag,or rip at fish in the KWB pool.If you don't believe,ask the Creel survey person stationed on the end of the bridge.She is always aware of who is doing the ripping and intentional snagging of fish.If she see's illegal activity,she will report it.

And if fishermen who know the value of short floating a big gooey piece of chum roe at first light didn't bother fishing this pool,then it would truly be left to the Beeks.

Instead of calling the the whole barrel rotten for a few bad apples,why not educate the bad guys you see ripping under the bridge,as there is no doubt some could use it.

(btw,I was watching those same fishermen on the same day from the bridge,and it looked like were fishing ethically.I saw one fin hooked hatchery coho doe,and it was released quickly back to the flow.I didn't see anyone trying to snag of floss fish,nor did I see much ripping going on.Do you figure these guys saw you taking your little iphone video from behind them and decided to behave for you?How do you look when you're standing in the river fishing?)

P.S...Mr Gadsden,I realize that that you are a respected member on this forum and others,so know disrespect intended,but don't you think it's more productive to educate those who need it rather than antagonizing them.Did you inform the fishermen they were taking part in that video.Did you get their permission before posting that to youtube,as I believe people still have rights to privacy,even in a public space.

I agree with you there Madm. Tossing everyone in a barrel and painting them all with the same brush isn't fair nor does it equate to justice. KWB over the years has been a hot-bed of negatavism from the stand point that it is easily visible and there have been large groups of snagger's congregated there in the past. Therefore, where there's smoke there's fire. But I think one reading and viewing needs to think about it logically and view it objectively. Hell, we've all seen Rodney's video's there and he sure wasn't snagging, lol. So we should'nt assume everyone else is.

And Yes, Mr. Gadsen is a respected member on this forum but he is also a very highly respected outdoorsman and human being amongst the whole fishing community. And I can assure you that he has educated more people than you could ever imagine and let me ask you this. When you get close to 60 or 70 years of age would you approach fishermen who are snagging and suggest that they should change their methods, even politely.
I thought not.

As far as video taping from the bridge the rule is: Public place, fair game. Private property, permission may be needed.
The more important issue at stake is how the video is used. If it's used for commercial use then definitely a waiver or contract would need to be signed. Now if someone that is taped objects to their image being displayed then usually the video would be removed to ensure that all runs smoothly and no court action is taken. But if you're in the public domain you're open game, so be aware of when, where and what you do.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »

While popular spots such as KWB, Browne Road, Lickman Road, Vedder Crossing, etc are more likely to be crowded than others, people definitely should not generalize all users at these spots as poachers, or individuals who have the intent to violate fishing regulations. These spots are crowded for very obvious reasons. They are easily accessed by vehicles and highly visible from roads. New anglers who are just starting out tend to gravitate to these spots because they lack the understanding on successfully targeting salmon. Fish have a tendency to congregate at these spots due to structural barriers and low water conditions. If the users are unaware of how salmon should be caught, fish will be foul hooked. If it is the user's first salmon, he or she also will most likely drag that salmon onto the dry bank if no one else decides to assist. If he or she has never seen a salmon before, the likelihood of fish misidentification and retention of the wrong species is also pretty large. The next newcomer watches and learns to do the exact same thing by assuming those are the correct actions. The cycle repeats and grows when experienced anglers keep labelling all users of these areas as so-called beeks and keeping them oblivious.

I fish at these spots from time to time, unless the angling pressure is beyond what I can tolerate. If there are good fish to be caught, I can have a great day tossing my spoon or floating my roe through the crowd, picking out the odd fish and sharing my techniques with others if they wish to learn. Stereotyping is something that we all do from time to time, but positive changes can occur if one chooses to suppress it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »

Thanks Athezone for your insight on this and after shooting several news stories for BCTV, now Global TV I have never had any problems as well, since the 1970's I have shot endless pictures for the Chilliwack Progress and other print media.

Some times I think some people get over concerned on this subject but there of course is some exceptions to what one does I guess.

LP89CG

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 12:33:33 AM »

There are lots who fish without attempting to floss,snag,or rip at fish in the KWB pool.If you don't believe,ask the Creel survey person stationed on the end of the bridge.She is always aware of who is doing the ripping and intentional snagging of fish.If she see's illegal activity,she will report it.

And if fishermen who know the value of short floating a big gooey piece of chum roe at first light didn't bother fishing this pool,then it would truly be left to the Beeks.

Instead of calling the the whole barrel rotten for a few bad apples,why not educate the bad guys you see ripping under the bridge,as there is no doubt some could use it.

(btw,I was watching those same fishermen on the same day from the bridge,and it looked like were fishing ethically.I saw one fin hooked hatchery coho doe,and it was released quickly back to the flow.I didn't see anyone trying to snag of floss fish,nor did I see much ripping going on.Do you figure these guys saw you taking your little iphone video from behind them and decided to behave for you?How do you look when you're standing in the river fishing?)

P.S...Mr Gadsden,I realize that that you are a respected member on this forum and others,so know disrespect intended,but don't you think it's more productive to educate those who need it rather than antagonizing them.Did you inform the fishermen they were taking part in that video.Did you get their permission before posting that to youtube,as I believe people still have rights to privacy,even in a public space.

The expectation of privacy in a public place is very very low.

If you don't want to be filmed, photographed or recorded in anyway you should probably stay inside. Think even bigger... google earth where people were caught on camera doing a number of crazy or embarrassing or even illegal things, but it's in public. I'm pretty sure google didn't need to get permission from the entire North American population before they captured everything.

Now if you were being photographed on your private property then that's different; but you can photograph, video, record anyone on your property since it's yours.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 01:29:48 AM »

If you don't want to be filmed, photographed or recorded in anyway you should probably stay inside. Think even bigger... google earth where people were caught on camera doing a number of crazy or embarrassing or even illegal things, but it's in public. I'm pretty sure google didn't need to get permission from the entire North American population before they captured everything.

That's why their faces are blurred out in Google Street View.

Filming and photographing individuals in public is permitted by law, however consent is required from the individual if the media (videos or photographs) are to be commercially used. This usually involves a signed waiver. Videos for personal use that are uploaded to YouTube have to follow their terms of use. If individuals find themselves in a video that they don't wish to be in, they can file a complaint to have the video removed. There can be many reasons people don't wish to be filmed and these days I take those into consideration when having my cameras out in public. People may not wish to be characterized in a certain way, it's easy for the video owner/producer to tell a story in a certain way. Someone maybe skipping work to go fishing and don't want his or her boss discovering the video, etc.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 03:49:52 AM »

Someone maybe skipping work to go fishing and don't want his or her boss discovering the video, etc.
Don't you do all the time. ;D ;D ;D

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »

That's why their faces are blurred out in Google Street View.

There can be many reasons people don't wish to be filmed and these days I take those into consideration when having my cameras out in public. People may not wish to be characterized in a certain way, it's easy for the video owner/producer to tell a story in a certain way.

Did you ask this guy before filming ?? I'm guessing he probably didn't want to be on video :D ;D ;D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwvT2-T9NR8&feature=plcp

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 07:35:44 AM »

consent is required from the individual if the media (videos or photographs) are to be commercially used.

So what's the deal with papparzi??
A rig out of water catches no fish.

LP89CG

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 11:36:06 PM »

So what's the deal with papparzi??

THIS

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWbb3YxEgZM

This one must have hit hard

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

very interesting technique in fighting the fish :P
weeeeeeeeeow!

1son

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »

His technique did wonders surprised he didn't lose it  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »

Looks to be a beginner

jacked55

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »

im just happy that Chris R got called a newbie fisherman. Thank you Mr. Gladsen i will NEVER let him live this one down, lol.

Nucks

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »

Probably the first time he's had a hand on a rod. I had a good laugh but I cut him some slack.

I'm more concerned about the BEEK that put his hand in the gills  :o Am I the only one that noticed this? Hands should not go anywhere near the gills unless you plan on bonking it. That fish could have been easily held with a hand under the head and the other on the tail.

This video is the epitome of what the Vedder has become.............. :-[