Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River  (Read 44303 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »

The opening has ended unless it has been extended.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »

Thanks, Rod. I thought the target was 15K fish. I never saw the DFO notice for this opening though.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »

Yeah the target was 15,000 fish, but have to be caught within the time frame given. ;) I haven't been updated with new info such as extended opening so I'm assuming it has ended. Due to the low success rate experienced, it's unlikely they are requesting for an extension.

jeff

« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »

And although I never opened the traditional methods can of worms, whilst we are on the subject in my view we need to be mindful for a couple of reasons. Firstly traditional methods had a fairly limited catch per unit effort which made them self regulating to a large extent. Modern methods have significantly higher CPUEs and therefore do not sustain fish stocks over the long term. Improved technology requires regulation and responsibility. Second, I view social, technological and cultural development as an exercise in compromise. You cant just cherry pick the best bits of socioeconomic development. I love sweet and sour pork, but when I go to a Chinese restaurant I have to put up with chicken feet, pig trotters and pickled jellyfish. So if natives are to get better technology and techniques for catching salmon, they need to be mindful that there are hidden costs and externalities to the technology. So given how much the world is changing, lets all embrace change – including unequal and very outdated FN “laws”.

Couldn't agree more.
Enjoying the water..........

biteme

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »

Well said fishbandit66

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »

And although I never opened the traditional methods can of worms, whilst we are on the subject in my view we need to be mindful for a couple of reasons. Firstly traditional methods had a fairly limited catch per unit effort which made them self regulating to a large extent. Modern methods have significantly higher CPUEs and therefore do not sustain fish stocks over the long term. Improved technology requires regulation and responsibility. Second, I view social, technological and cultural development as an exercise in compromise. You cant just cherry pick the best bits of socioeconomic development. I love sweet and sour pork, but when I go to a Chinese restaurant I have to put up with chicken feet, pig trotters and pickled jellyfish. So if natives are to get better technology and techniques for catching salmon, they need to be mindful that there are hidden costs and externalities to the technology. So given how much the world is changing, lets all embrace change – including unequal and very outdated FN “laws”.

Couldn't agree more.
Which politician are you lobbying for this change?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »

Total catch to date in that opening was less than 30 fish. Fisheries and Oceans Canada is issuing another opening for next Monday to Wednesday, daylight hours only (7am to 7pm). This opening will be limited set gillnet (less than 6) in the section of the river above the hatchery and two nets in the lake.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »

So the FN don't succeed using selective methods (beach seine and dip nets) so now they get to use gill nets nets in the upper river  and the lake  ::)  I understand the part of getting a crack at sockeye once escapement numbers are met but come on gill nets on the upper river? I wonder how many bull trout and large resident rainbows that use the upper no fishing area as a sanctuary will get caught  as well as dollies/bulls in the lake. Selective methods to target a specific species with abundance is one thing, gill nets on a tributary is another  :-X

buck

« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »

It didn't take long for DFO to screw this one up, as usual. This opens the door for future abuse which has been ongoing for some time. Next they will want to gill net coho and white chinook. DFO has opened a can of worms on this one and will pay the price. A few anglers i have talked to have said that if gill nets go in the river every fish is fair game.  Can't really blame them.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »

It didn't take long for DFO to screw this one up, as usual. This opens the door for future abuse which has been ongoing for some time. Next they will want to gill net coho and white chinook. DFO has opened a can of worms on this one and will pay the price. A few anglers i have talked to have said that if gill nets go in the river every fish is fair game.  Can't really blame them.

yup.... look foward to the shopping cart weir during low waters !

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

Those guy's have been throwing nets across that river for some time. Probably the whole time I've ever fished there and beyond. Maybe not legally but just because their grandfather or someone else told them about fishing there. I seriously doubt that allowing the local first nation guy's from netting some fish up river is going to cause a problem now. After all the logging and resulting damage from that activity. :-\

At the same time keeping it the local few will be a challenge. I remember the story a few years back where they found a nation guy decomposed in the water. He was well known for always netting salmon way lower down on the river. Shatners coming up here to do a show on him. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »

Sox on the BBQ?   ??? ;D

jeff

« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »

Total catch to date in that opening was less than 30 fish. Fisheries and Oceans Canada is issuing another opening for next Monday to Wednesday, daylight hours only (7am to 7pm). This opening will be limited set gillnet (less than 6) in the section of the river above the hatchery and two nets in the lake.

Less than 30 fish I find that interesting because the last three morning of the week at about 5:30 on my way to work towards the vedder bridge I saw the same pickup truck driven by a First Nation man with a fish tote in the back and from the way the back end of the truck was weighed down it didn't look like it was empty.
Enjoying the water..........

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2012, 12:10:54 AM »

Less than 30 fish I find that interesting because the last three morning of the week at about 5:30 on my way to work towards the vedder bridge I saw the same pickup truck driven by a First Nation man with a fish tote in the back and from the way the back end of the truck was weighed down it didn't look like it was empty.

Maybe it was all ice.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2012, 12:03:46 AM »

As said before next time they knock on your door politely refuse to purchase note licencse plate and
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/ORR-ONS-eng.htm