Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is 2012 a larger pink run for the fraser?  (Read 2762 times)

river hunter

is 2012 a larger pink run for the fraser?
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »

jus wondering. havent been keeping track over here cause my home river gets pinks every year.

brysonk

Re: is 2012 a larger pink run for the fraser?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »

no or very few pinks this year they are an odd number year run in the fraser so you'll have to wait till 2013.

river hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »

I jus answered my own questions by watching one of your videos on youtube. every odd year...ok. and looks like i can fish in richmond too. Aint nothing like vancouver island but itll do while im here for this job stint.

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »

I jus answered my own questions by watching one of your videos on youtube. every odd year...ok. and looks like i can fish in richmond too. Aint nothing like vancouver island but itll do while im here for this job stint.

The Fraser has a notoriously polarized pink run with respect to odd and even years. Odd years can yield bonanza-style runs while it's common for even years to produce an incredibly small number of fish, not worth pursuing with spoons from the shore. Personally I would not invest much time into pinks this year if I were you, but if you have any success post it!

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »

The Fraser has a notoriously polarized pink run with respect to odd and even years.

I wonder why?    Some rivers have Pinks every year.

jon5hill

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

I wonder why?    Some rivers have Pinks every year.

Taken from McPhail (2007)

"Although the specific status of pink salmon is not a taxonomic issue, there are unsolved problems involving the relationships and distribution of the odd-year and even-year broodlines in this species. Because virtually all native populations of pink salmon mature at 2 years, the generations spawning on odd and even years are genetically isolated from one another and often differ in life-history characteristics (Heard 1991). Usually one brood line is dominant (i.e., there is a strong run one year followed by a much smaller run the next year). At the southern end of their North American distribution, including southern BC, odd-years runs are dominant, however, north of the Fraser River system, many rivers support relatively strong runs on both odd and even years. From Haida Gwaii, North to Alaska, even year runs are dominant. Presumably, both odd-year and even-year runs have evolved independently in different areas, but the reasons for the broad geographic pattern in run dominance is still a mystery. The pattern of mitochondrial variation in northern pink salmon suggests multiple Pleistocene divergences followed by a relatively recent (post-glacial) expansion from different sources, and perhaps different colonization routes for the odd-year and even year broodlines (Churikov and Gharrett 2002).

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »

Without jacks, pink salmon cannot rebuild the low number years like other salmon can.

My father worked on a project at DFO (in the 60's) to rebuild the even year pink run by putting a large number of fry in Jones Creek.

It didn't "stick" for whatever reason but 2 years later, they were catching some of the "new" pinks in a fish wheel (counting device) above Hope.