Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 floss-out  (Read 70877 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2012 floss-out
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »

Hi Stratocaster, if I understand correctly it was initially started by Chris Gadsen and Fred Helmer and over the years Fred Helmer Sr., Pete Sellmer, Sandy Richie and Bill Otway all worked together to lobby and pressure the elected officials and the D.F.O of the day to reopen the Fraser River and allow a sport fishery. Which ultimately did happen.

Great men do Great things and all these men deserve our respect and admiration for all the amazing achievements they've accomplished throughout the years. Thank You to all of you !!!

::) :'( :-[ :(

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »

How do you allow the Fraser River flossery without affecting the angling quality of other tributaries by keeping the technique away even though by definition it is legal to use in all waters?

Athezone has given a thoughtful answer, which is there isn't an immediate solution.

Increase licencing requirements so that they are similar to those of hunting and driving; anglers must pass an exam to get a licence. While not foolproof (there will, almost certainly, always be outlaws), such a system would help educate anglers so that they could make informed decisions. Plus, you'd probably end up with less accidental poaching if people were "forced" to learn fish ID.

Like you wrote Rod, flossing is legal. However, if anglers were aware that a fish hooked in the head (i.e. from outside in) is technically foul hooked, that flossing is not considered to be "sport fishing," etc., etc. perhaps fewer would partake in this method of fishing; if not on the Fraser than in other systems.

Short of licencing exams, I don't think there is much that you can do other than educate (e.g. Fish for the Future, this website), which probably isn't going to get through to >90% of the population that are out there flossing in the Chedder.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:32:42 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

zabber

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »

Flossing is snagging

According to the Synopsis snagging is defined as:

"snagging (foul hooking) ... hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than the mouth. Attempting to snag fish of any species is prohibited. Any fish willfully or accidently snagged must be released immediately." (p. 88, 2011-2013 version).

Therefore, flossing is not technically snagging if the fish is hooked in the mouth and if that is the intention (I know, I'd make a great lawyer right :D).

Fishing is fooling a fish to bite pure and simple.

Some would disagree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhPCBtu4uIQ&feature=fvwrel, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loc9Xg5SI1Y  ;)

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »

Increase licencing requirements so that they are similar to those of hunting and driving; anglers must pass an exam to get a licence. While not foolproof (there will, almost certainly, always be outlaws), such a system would help educate anglers so that they could make informed decisions. Plus, you'd probably end up with less accidental poaching if people were "forced" to learn fish ID.

Like you wrote Rod, flossing is legal. However, if anglers were aware that a fish hooked in the head (i.e. from outside in) is technically foul hooked, that flossing is not considered to be "sport fishing," etc., etc. perhaps fewer would partake in this method of fishing; if not on the Fraser than in other systems.

Short of licencing exams, I don't think there is much that you can do other than educate (e.g. Fish for the Future, this website), which probably isn't going to get through to >90% of the population that are out there flossing in the Chedder.

A thoughtful reply Zabber and I've always wondered why there isn't an exam necessary for fishing as well as many other aspects of life in general. Like being a parent. I mean my God !!! Just because you can have sex and produce doesn't mean you will be an a good parent. But, just as with the parent example, just because you can pass a test wouldn't totally ensure you were still a caring and providing parent, but it certainly  would'nt hurt.

And I agree with you about it not getting through to 90% of those flossing on the Vedder or other river systems. It's so prevalent now and so many are doing it on so many flows that even if it were banned on all rivers, how would you enforce it. The person has to want to not do it and right now I see to many on the Vedder that just don't care. So if they don't care, make them care.

In a perfect world when something's broke and needs fixing, you fix it. So, in our perfect world first you ban it entirely and anyone seen bb'ing or even appearing to bb would be given heavy fines, no warnings. Next you hire more DFO and bring in a volunteer fish watch group that would be dressed as the common man, even as other fishermen with the entrusted ability to question, get ID and hand out a warning sheet which is not a fine. But if you recieve three warning sheets in a fishing year from said watchmen you are given the maximum fine. DFO can hand out fines immediately. If you recieve two fines for bb'ing in one season you automatically lose your ability to fish for five years. Fear is the only thing that will work at this point and we Must be Strict about this.

The way to make an impact is to hit the person where it hurts most, the pocketbook and with the face of fear. If someone doesn't know if the person fishing down from them is an entrusted watchman then there is the face of fear and of course nobody likes to give their money away. Would this totally solve the problem, No, but in the long run it would help because our fishing future is in our youth and they would grow up knowing that bb'ing is not the correct way to fish instead of what they see now.

Before the province banned cell phones friends of mine said it would never happen and even if it did people would just go on using them. Well the law came and people were hit hard and learned that this is now the law and thats just the way it's going to be or get ticketed. Did it solve the problem ? Not entirely but it sure has helped a hell of a lot. The fear factor is in the faces of those driving and using their phones but even then, some still chance it.

We have made mistakes with our sporting fishery and if we are ever to make it right again we have to get rid of what's bad and we can't pussy foot
around. We have to go straight for the jugular and make it clear that this is the way it will be from now on or else. People won't like it, to bad. There have been laws thrust upon civilization's since the beginning of time and citizen's have accepted them and learned to live and to adapt to them whether they liked them or not. If I had cancer in my leg I would'nt want the doctor to amputate my leg but it must be done to save my life. Well this a cancer on the sportfishing community and it must be eradicated and the only way I see that happening is to amputate the leg.

Good Fishing All !!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »

Hi Rod, I just wanted to say I owe you an apology about why you changed the title of this thread from it's previous one. It was my belief that you were moving the entire thread to this section, I didn't realize you were going to keep the initial thread open still in the fishing reports. So Sorry about that, I apologize and should of known better and been assured that you of all people know what you're doing. Sorry !!!!

Don't worry about it. I wasn't offended, was just baffled why it was a problem that I changed the topic of a split thread. ;D

zabber

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »

Yes, restricting flossing would certainly be effective, even leader length restrictions (such as those I hear are in place in Washington state) would help to curb such activity. However, others mentioned that the DFO is woefully underfunded and understaffed, and that they stand too much to gain from salmon tag sales. Not sure how much truth there is to that but if this is the case then increasing enforcement is probably an impractical solution (as you probably realize; hence the "perfect world" scenario).

I think that simply banning it entirely (or just anywhere but the Fraser during a sockeye opening) and enforcing this restriction would help the decrease the prevalence of the activity. Afterall, why do most people do it? As has been said: they don't know any other way, they are impatient "meat fishers," it's legal, etc., etc. Implement some new rules, handout a few tickets, and I'm sure word will spread that this "flossing" technique is no longer a desirable fishing method. Sure, you'll still have the legacy fishers, the die hards, the poachers; those that just don't give a d@mn, but I'm sure you'll put a dent in it. Couple that with eductation and more stringent licencing requirements and I'm sure you'll begin to see a more "perfect" fishery.

G'night & tight lines!

mikeyman

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »

perfect, restrict leader size, great idea, best thing I heard all day, and if you are intentionally trying to sang a fish in the head...sounds like snagging to me...hmmmm...bounce bounce...snag snag, bounce bounce set the hook on nothing...snag snag....oops fish on, oh wow and it is in the mouth, holy smokes, big or small ripe or fresh just bonk em all.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 04:12:57 AM »

Zabber,

Fishery managers generally (not just DFO) manage resource by looking at numbers. If there are enough fish that can be allocated for harvesting, then the fishery is opened. If harvest is determined to have reached the allocated quota, then it closes. As long as these fish are harvested by methods defined legal and CPUE does not exceed expected level, then they are allowed while retention is open. After all, a dead fish is a dead fish, no matter how it is caught. The problem with this type of management approach, is managers have a tendency to underestimate the skills of those who participate in the fishery. Fishermen are always changing their techniques, behaviours, locations, timing, while working within the legal boundary to achieve their goal - Improve their catch rate.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada does not wish to impose leader length restrictions or any further rules on terminal tackle in addition to existing ones. This has been brought up several times when I engaged in discussions on this exact issue with regional managers. What it wishes to see, is a dialogue being started by the community so we can identify the key issues, if there are some, and develop solutions to improve the quality of this fishery and the ones that are affected by it.

The issue I have with flossing proponents in these discussion is the constant diversion of the core problems by suggesting the problems generated by other fisheries are just as bad if not worse. This post earlier is the worst example, or best, however you want to look at it.

You can apply most of your descriptions above to the Vedder too. In fact it is worse at the Vedder. The crowd, the garbage, the snagging (yes, intentional snagging by jerking the rod towards the end of each drift when fishing the rapids), the crowded fish holes with people fishing shoulder to shoulder, and hooks catching the wrong body part of crowded fish even by float fishing or flyfishing. In terms of damaging a fish, there is nothing worse than foul hooking it and fighting it in a rapid, and letting the hook tear apart the flesh of the fish, or letting it tire out to near death because of the prolong battle of landing a foul hooked fish. These foul hookings happen so much more often on the Vedder than bottom bouncing on the Fraser. In a day of bb the Fraser, you rarely see a foul hooked fish. But if you are fishing a crowded fish hole on the Vedder, there will be a foul hooked fish every few minutes. Why don't you go to Tamahi or even the bottom of Keith Wilson Bridge & take a look. In terms of bonking the wrong fish, or keeping over the limit, is the Vedder exempt from these problems? Why are we still allowing the Vedder fishery open then based on your argument? These problems are not a result of the location or method of fishing. They are created by fishermen, a human issue. Most of the time, bbers know the game of crowded fishing and they respect and tolerate crowding. There is usually a open spirit about it and people look past these issues to have a good time out in the bars. For someone who don't like crowd, they can buy a boat and hide away to some islands on the Fraser. We live in a free society and must learn to respect other's legal choices.

I originally wasn't going to address this but it has been put out of context so much. I don't need people reading this on here and walking away with the same attitude. The problems that I addressed earlier have completely been misinterpreted on purpose, just so you can paint a pretty picture on the Fraser River sockeye salmon fishery. Why? Especially when I've already suggested that this fishery is here to stay and we should be looking for solutions to minimize its impact on the overall resource and angling quality in Southern BC? As always, you are more interested in laying the blame on others and making the outrageous claim that everything is all good when people are out enjoying flossing sockeye salmon on the Fraser River.

This is not just about bottom bouncing with a long leader. It is about the intent to catch a fish by sweeping the line across the river bed and hoping to foul hook a fish in its mouth region during the process. Because the technique is defined legal for the Fraser River salmon fishery, it can then be, and has been, employed in other fisheries such as the Chilliwack River. No, people are not bottom bouncing with a betty and long leader to achieve the same result. They are float fishing by having the weight dragging along the bottom and jerking the rod repeatedly when the float goes under to "catch" one. They are fly fishing by swinging a lead line across a school of fish. The technique maybe different, the intention and result remain the same. Fish are brought in. If they are foul hooked, they are released. If they are hooked in the mouth region, they are retained. It's not pretty, but it's legal, practiced just as it is on the Fraser River. Is it a problem? That would depend on who you ask and what their definition on angling quality is.

Fish caught in the Fraser River are rarely foul hooked compared to ones caught in the Chilliwack River? Don't make such a bold suggestion without the numbers to back it up. What's the purpose of this suggestion anyway, beside insisting these fish in the Fraser River are actually not flossed? Again, the point has been missed, which is that participants are now taking advantage of the same legal loophole at smaller streams to improve their catch rate. Lets say if in fact more fish are being foul hooked in the Vedder due to anglers fishing with the intent to floss, then there's more reason to be concerned!

By the way, 86% of sockeye landed in the 3-year Fraser River sockeye salmon catch and release mortality study were hooked outside the mouth. But hey, 14% were hooked in the mouth, they must be biting.

Misidentifying species and exceeding daily quota occur in all fisheries, but its impact is more significant in the Fraser River because you are targeting mixed runs with the possibility to intercept vulnerable stocks such as interior steelhead and coho salmon. All groups that work with Fisheries and Oceans Canada recognize this and have been trying to find solutions to prevent it.

The root of these problems is the amount of new participants being introduced to fishing by taking part in the Fraser River salmon fishery as their first fishing experience. The idea of flossing is then imprinted and they only believe salmon can be caught this way unless shown otherwise. By modifying the technique slightly, they then participate in smaller tributary fisheries with the same intent. Some will eventually learn, others will fish like so forever because the regulations allow it.

If you firmly don't believe that, then there isn't a problem for you to solve and the discussion can pretty much end right here. If you feel this type of fishing is accepted in fisheries other than the Fraser River, then there also isn't anything else to discuss. Don't even lay the blame on Fisheries and Oceans Canada. You cannot advocate for the acceptance of flossing as a legal method to catch salmon in less-ideal condition and complain about the decline in angling quality of other fisheries.

Back to Zabber's suggestions. I cannot comment much about licence testing. That has been suggested at meetings in the past and they never go further than being suggested. Other ideas that have emerged in the past include having important regional information printed on one side of the sheet that is used to print licences at the store, so anglers walk away with the information when getting a licence. This still does not eliminate the fact that you can catch fish by flossing in streams beside the Fraser River. You can recommend, but how high do you think the compliance would be when the catch rate is much higher by lining fish than enticing them to bite?

Like Athezone said, there are no immediate, easy solutions, that's why we are not seeing many responses in what normally is a hotly debated topic.

While I personally find it silly to spend all that money and time to fish on a crowded Fraser River bar when there are much better fishing opportunities in this province, I don't really care if others choose to do it. However if you are going to promote it, you should at least recognize potential problems, address them and demonstrate that it can in fact have minimal impact.

perfect, restrict leader size, great idea, best thing I heard all day, and if you are intentionally trying to sang a fish in the head...sounds like snagging to me...hmmmm...bounce bounce...snag snag, bounce bounce set the hook on nothing...snag snag....oops fish on, oh wow and it is in the mouth, holy smokes, big or small ripe or fresh just bonk em all.

Thanks once again for those constructive criticisms, which definitely have persuaded people to change their behaviours and improved the situation. ::)

Bandit420

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »

According to the Synopsis snagging is defined as:

"snagging (foul hooking) ... hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than the mouth. Attempting to snag fish of any species is prohibited. Any fish willfully or accidently snagged must be released immediately." (p. 88, 2011-2013 version).

Therefore, flossing is not technically snagging if the fish is hooked in the mouth and if that is the intention (I know, I'd make a great lawyer right :D).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Actually, flossing is SNAGing because the hook set is outside of the mouth which infact is not insside the mouth and out (which happens 99percent of the time when the fish bites. A new regulation which is based on that would never stick.

Some would disagree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhPCBtu4uIQ&feature=fvwrel, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loc9Xg5SI1Y  ;)
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »

Hey Rodney, I only posted that comment in reply to Mikeyman's earlier post which seeks to demonize bb and bb fishermen based on those points. The problems he listed are all found somewhere else with different methods. You find that in the Vedder, in Chehalis, even in the Stamps (remember that stabbing incident at the meat hole right above the Stamp Fall and no one was bbing there). I am not defending bb based on the fact that the problems of bb are the same everywhere else. bb on a smaller system resulting in much more foul hooking is not defensible. It is not the technique name of bb which is objectionable (because there is true bb with a pencil lead on 3 ft leader to slow down presentation, or to sink deep in a deep run/pool), but the result of damaging too many fish by foul hooking is objectionable. So to me, even floating or flyfishing in meat holes where fish are packed should be banned or discouraged because regardless of methods, too many fish are foul-hooked at meat holes. That is probably why the Limit Hole was off limit now. DFO should do the same for all other meat holes where there are too many people throwing what-have-u at the packed fish all day, float or no float, and the fish are more spooked then interested to bite anything.

I think besides leader length, perhaps DFO should ban the use of lead betties in smaller system. Besides foul hooking fish, the problem is that each betty lost to the system can contribute a lot more lead to the smaller eco system of a smaller river. Newbies bbing a smaller system will lose betties in a hurry. Believe me, a greenie fisherman bbing a small river with a bettie is a nightmare to watch. Once I was fishing near Woodcroft bridge of the Cap. A greenie fishing about me was losing betty after betty, until he saw me take a coho on short floating and was curious about my technique. A short technique discussion with him later, he said he would be floating from then on. That is nice. But if we already have regulation by DFO banning betties in systems other than the Fraser, we can avoid newbies dumping more lead to the rivers before they figure out there are better methods to catch salmon in smaller systems.

For those of us steelheaders, DFO bans the use of anything other than flies in May each year at the Vedder. So why not ban the use of lead betties for these smaller system the whole year through. It is not like DFO has not done it before on gear restriction.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:00:13 PM by liketofish »

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

Hey Rodney, I only posted that comment in reply to Mikeyman's earlier post which seeks to demonize bb and bb fishermen based on those points. The problems he listed are all found somewhere else with different methods. You find that in the Vedder, in Chehalis, even in the Stamps (remember that stabbing incident at the meat hole right above the Stamp Fall and no one was bbing there). I am not defending bb based on the fact that the problems of bb are the same everywhere else. bb on a smaller system resulting in much more foul hooking is not defensible. It is not the technique name of bb which is objectionable (because there is true bb with a pencil lead on 3 ft leader to slow down presentation, or to sink deep in a deep run/pool), but the result of damaging too many fish by foul hooking is objectionable. So to me, even floating or flyfishing in meat holes where fish are packed should be banned or discouraged because regardless of methods, too many fish are foul-hooked at meat holes. That is probably why the Limit Hole was off limit now. DFO should do the same for all other meat holes where there are too many people throwing what-have-u at the packed fish all day, float or no float, and the fish are more spooked then interested to bite anything.

I think besides leader length, perhaps DFO should ban the use of lead betties in smaller system. Besides foul hooking fish, the problem is that each betty lost to the system can contribute a lot more lead to the smaller eco system of a smaller river. Newbies bbing a smaller system will lose betties in a hurry. Believe me, a greenie fisherman bbing a small river with a bettie is a nightmare to watch. Once I was fishing near Woodcroft bridge of the Cap. A greenie fishing about me was losing betty after betty, until he saw me take a coho on short floating and was curious about my technique. A short technique discussion with him later, he said he would be floating from then on. That is nice. But if we already have regulation by DFO banning betties in systems other than the Fraser, we can avoid newbies dumping more lead to the rivers before they figure out there are better methods to catch salmon in smaller systems.

For those of us steelheaders, DFO bans the use of anything other than flies in May each year at the Vedder. So why not ban the use of lead betties for these smaller system the whole year through. It is not like DFO has not done it before on gear restriction.

Maybe change your name to liketobb... ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »

You can keep focusing on banning bottom bouncing with betties in small systems, reducing leader length, closing down crowded spots, it will still not eliminate the intent to catch fish by attempting to hook them in their mouth instead of luring them to bite. Participants will somehow find a way to get around more rules to achieve this. The problem also seems to be that you fail to understand when float fishing, fly fishing or lure fishing properly, you can easily avoid accidentally foul hooking fish even at spots where fish stage in high density.

The issue is not how do we stop people from bottom bouncing with betties in systems other than the Fraser River, but how do we stop people from catching fish by intentionally foul hooking them in their mouth in systems other than the Fraser River, which can be done with all methods if given the opportunity. Intent, intent, intent, I'm not sure why it is so difficult to recognize and understand the issue. How do you change angling behaviour in small streams when you have accepted the same behaviour to be legally practiced on the Fraser River?

Re: Plenty of entry-level participants lose just as many bouncing betties in the Fraser River during the sockeye salmon fishery if not more. If that's not the case, it wouldn't be such a hot commodity during the Fraser River salmon season.

Re: Fly fishing only regulation for the month of May is imposed by the province, not by DFO as they are only responsible for managing salmon.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »

Maybe change your name to liketobb... ;D

Hey Bass, I thought you miss the point I taught the greenie short floating instead of bb on the Cap. bb is just one of the techniques used for different situations and I have no special love for it. I have fished over 2 decades for salmon/steelhead. There are instances bb on smaller system with a pencil lead on a small spin & glo or birdie drifter with 3 ft 8lb leader is better than floating with roe. Do you know that? For me, more steelheads were taken in the afternoon on bright days with bbing then floating. Simple, the fish are tired or scared by the sight of floats since first light and they are off bite by seeing those floats. Try go to the faster section, bb with top down presentation to slow the drift and those small spin & glo are deadly to those steelies moving out of the heavily bombarded slower section below to the faster section. When not spooked, a steelie can't refuse a small flashing stuff in front of their nose. Hope you will do some bb for steelhead this way if you have an open mind about it.  ;)

By the way, if I change my name to liketobb, will you change yours to liketopeep?  ;D  Just kidding.

Rodney, to ask people to change their intent when fishing is a human issue, not fishing issue. Humans are complex animals. They can think differently, sometimes drastically differently, about the same thing. That is why Steven Harper or Obama is a saint to some but a tyrant to others. That is why we have people like PETA members thinking us dead enemy for our hobby, and then there are people who think we are someones with a wholesome & productive hobby. To some people, fishing is a recreation, a fun activity with the bonus of some of thefreshest self-caught seafood to give themselves & their families a nice treat. Nothing more. They will do it as long as it is legal and effective. If you take out the fun part, or the feel-good feeling of providing the freshest seafood as a bonus, most people will rather just buy the stuff from supermarkets or FN sources. So the requirement of fish's willingly biting as a requirement for fishing may not be shared by all. They can try your method, but if it does not produce result as effective as the other legal methods, they will not stick with it. They can reason that for non-biting fish, people use nets, spears, traps, arrows (like the Americans doing that to the leaping carp) & what-have-u. So if DFO allows bb to be a legal means of catching Fraser salmon, and it being the most effective means with a rod and a hook, then it is good enough for most people's idea of fishing. If they release a foul hooked fish which meets with DFO's requirement, then who are we to say he cannot fish this way or that in the finer detail of presentation to the fish. To ask everybody to fish and think like one's ideal way to fish is a waste of time in a free society. The most we can do is to educate and offer alternatives of a better way to fish (according to some), but unless DFO regulates it, people are going to make their choices based on their needs and and based on their own sense of enjoyment of the legal methods. If we can change people like magic, it will be nice. But in a real world, this will never happen. The health & medical folks have been preaching for eons that we should not eat junk foods or risk major health issues. As far as we know, the junk food chains are still expanding. Unless government legislate against junk foods, they will find their way into our stomach. It is just human nature.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:39:58 PM by liketofish »

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »

Judst teasin m8.
Take the T out of Morton.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

Hey Bass, if you post more avatars like those, no body will read what we write anymore with their eyes glued on the avatars.  ;D

I already said I don't specially prefer bb, so you don't need to promote 'BB' here with your sensual avatars or risk Nana shutting you down.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:21:40 PM by liketofish »