Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilano river  (Read 34503 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

Re: capilano river
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

Went out today (30th april) and Friday (27th april). no Coho, but released a steelhead. looking back on my note book i caught some small coho as early as april 23rd last year so no reason they shouldnt be around. Would love to hear if any body has hooked these tasty little "@3#%^!

Drewhill

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19:13 PM »

With a river as small and heavily fished as the cap I'd be surprised if anyone admits to catching coho already. I'm surprised people are admitting to catching steelhead now that gear season on the vedder is done! Doesn't make any sense, unless you like fishing in crowds ... then you'll be in luck! And don't think cause you caught some fish "in the canyon" that nobody will find your spot. There are no secret spots on the cap.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »

With a river as small and heavily fished as the cap I'd be surprised if anyone admits to catching coho already. I'm surprised people are admitting to catching steelhead now that gear season on the vedder is done! Doesn't make any sense, unless you like fishing in crowds ... then you'll be in luck! And don't think cause you caught some fish "in the canyon" that nobody will find your spot. There are no secret spots on the cap.

There were a few secret spots on the Cap up until 2-3 years ago, now you are lucky if you can find 5ft of free space on any given day.  First light to last light there is an army fisherman flogging every square foot of river space.  This time of year always makes me laugh at what people will do for a tiny coho.  I feel bad for the few remaining Steelhead in the river, hopefully they will be left alone to do their spawn dance, but we all know that won't happen.  Let the beek show at the Cable Pool begin, the absolute worst fishing ethics I have ever seen on any river happen there.  IMO it should be closed to fishing for good..

Drewhill

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »

Plus it's not like you're guaranteed fish like Pink season. Even vedder steelhead will bite all day but the cap coho bite may be on for 30 minutes and that's it for the day. So if you're not in the right spot at the right time with the right bait, you're screwed. Well unless you're at cable pool. The my friend-mouth ,fin-mouth and belly-mouth bite is usually on all day.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »

Went to the cap for a couple of hours, didn't hook anything , water level is at level 4 . They should be in anytime soon.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »

yargh, it be a sad evening for sure when people be gettin' excited about runt silvers on the capilano.  aye, the captain does spend a few evenings every june on the river to land a few grisle but it ain't but what she used to be.  There be silvers in that river some 10 months of the year me hearties, so breath deep and don't be a worrying about getting yours and mine.
Dude you crack me up!!! ;D

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »

Bring on the rain!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »

Well, I just took a look at the cap on my way back from another fishing trip elsewhere. I took a look at the canyon and hatchery. The canyon had no signs of fish in it, just a little steely sitting in a tailout. There were roe stains, fishing line and bits and pieces of wool left on all the rocks. Again, please pick up after yourselves. They should be here in numbers in the next 2 weeks or so.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:26 AM »

I won't be hitting the river till at least mid june... its true the river has been declining in fish numbers :(... i remember twelve years ago the runs were much bigger.

frozensalmon

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »

fish are always less in ubran area lakes or river in any place in the world while human pupulation grows, no way to prevent that , people will just get their fish or damage the nature river by just hooking every little fish
don't know if the fishery will consider close the fishing in cap some day in the future to help the population of the salmon for some years
if they do i will be one to support    I mean i love this river the most in this city but i don't want to kill the river
more coho, more coho... ::)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »

When I fish the Cap in the spring/summer I don't expect there to be any fish resting.  What I do expect, if I time it right, is for a school or a few schools to swim upstream and hopefully I can intercept them.

Sometimes I go out in what I think are perfect conditions and I will see zero fish.  Other times I have gone out in less then ideal conditions and seen 100 fish swim by in schools.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 06:19:50 PM »

fish are always less in ubran area lakes or river in any place in the world while human pupulation grows, no way to prevent that , people will just get their fish or damage the nature river by just hooking every little fish
don't know if the fishery will consider close the fishing in cap some day in the future to help the population of the salmon for some years
if they do i will be one to support    I mean i love this river the most in this city but i don't want to kill the river

That's a nice thought frozensalmon. Lucky for us the cap is and has been for some years [since the 70's/80's if I'm not mistaken] what is safe to say almost a 90% hatchery return of fish, with the other 10% "wilds" consisting of hatchery fish who spawn in the mainstem, and up brothers creek [and above cleveland dam - see below].

Although nothing is certain regarding ocean survival, a partial explanation, IF in fact the hatch fishery number is decreasing on the cap, I would say it has something to do with the government's decreased interest in DFO funding [which may also include hatcheries] over the past several years - which they are going to continue doing well into the future.

Then again - that is just my educated guess and not based on any hard facts.

On a positive note, the GVRD does take surplus broodstock -coho and steelhead to my knowledge- above cleveland dam to spawn naturally in the small tribs in the watershed area. The juvenile fish are then collected by traps in cap lake the following season and transported safely below the falls. So in essence the cap has two hatcheries! Therefore there should be a good number of fish returning for years to come!

Old Blue

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »

Cool info.  I knew they transported the excess fish above the dam but didn't know they trapped the smolts.  I think we're pretty lucky to have a fishery right in the middle of a major city, and especially such a beautiful setting.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »

Just to confirm, the highlighted area on the map is the prohibited fishing area for non native individuals unless given permission by an individual who legally has rights to the land.
Am I correct?

Old Blue

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »

Below the bridge you're all good to go to the park on the west side and fish the mouth.  Pretty much you wanna to go at low tide and wade out to the island by the piling marker and start hucking flies or casting spoons.  Remember you need a salt license too, good luck and maybe I'll see you out there next week.