Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would you do if you hooked into a killer whale?  (Read 6915 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
What would you do if you hooked into a killer whale?
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

found this article and thought I would share. Apparently a guy in New Zealand almost landed a killer whale while out tuna fishing...  :o crazy

http://www.gofishn.com/ned/reports/16636-man-battles-killer-whale-fishing-in-new-zealand-marlin-and-tuna-tournament

milo

• Old Timer
Re: What would you do if you hooked into a killer whale?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »

You know what?
The fact that the dude hooked into a killer whale is not what I found surprising.
Rather, it is the fact that in some parts of the world people still organize catch and kill tournaments for species that are CRITICALLY ENDANGERED.

It is sad to think that one day our grandchildren will look back and say: "How primitive our grandparents were", just like we shake our heads at stringers of dead wild steelhead that were commonplace only two generations ago.
At least we have hatchery steelhead to make up for the void in wild fish, but hatchery raised bluefin tuna is still in the realm of science-fiction.

Do we really have to continue being so stupid and not realize what we have until we lose it?
Do we really have to kill and eat the last bluefin tuna before we realize what we have done?

We truly are the scourge of this planet.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »

I would have shot the killer whale dead.   I'm sure they eat a lot of tuna.

Kenwee

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »

Don't kill. THe whales need to eat. We are the ones getting  into their world, Man is the worst destructive element ever to live.We must respect nature and cherish wildlife.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »

Rather, it is the fact that in some parts of the world people still organize catch and kill tournaments for species that are CRITICALLY ENDANGERED.

Hey Milo, think you may have mis-read it.
It said he held a record for a blue fin tuna, the tournament was for marlin and big eye tuna.
Neither of these species at the moment is near endangered, both are above their maximum sustainable yield (big eye are somewhat imperilled in certain parts of the ocean).
If you want more info on the Big eye or the marlin species go to WCPFC.int to see how they manage the stocks, etc.

Cheers,
Dan

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »

Hey Milo, think you may have mis-read it.

Maybe I did, but how do you explain this ( a link from the article supplied by the original poster):

http://www.gofishn.com/ned/reports/11536-rare-340-plus-pound-record-southern-bluefin-tuna-caught-in-new-zealand

That's a very dead blue fin tuna - a rare fish and CRITICALLY ENDANGERED. Why we still fish for them is beyond me.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »

Maybe I did, but how do you explain this ( a link from the article supplied by the original poster):

http://www.gofishn.com/ned/reports/11536-rare-340-plus-pound-record-southern-bluefin-tuna-caught-in-new-zealand

That's a very dead blue fin tuna - a rare fish and CRITICALLY ENDANGERED. Why we still fish for them is beyond me.

x2 how many times does it mention that blue fin are a very rare catch in NZ, and yet the fish is hanging there with its proud owner

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »

it's just as disgusting they didn't immediately cut the line when they had hooked an Orca. A wounded Orca by a boat could easily sink it and kill the crew ... so they were stupid as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Burbot

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:30 AM »

Killer Whales are actually Dolphins and not whales. :)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »

this particular site where the tuna and whale articles came from...it seems like they far too often focus on stories about the bonking of slow growing or rare species - with the fish always being "record" size.

Good thing they bonked one of the few fish of that size for it's species still left for a couple hero shots and a 'grand prize winner' status....not  :-[

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

The thing that pisses me off is that everyone knows fishing for Orcas with artificial lures is like cheating.  Cut-plugging chinook salmon is the only gentlemanly way to hook them.   >:(

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »

I explain that as showing his "record blue fin tuna" that they were referring to in the article, not what he was fishing for at the time of the orca.
Also, I am not sure that it says anywhere that he was in a tournament when he killed that blue fin?

I agree, it shouldn't be killed. It is a rare fish and is critically endangered.
I was just responding to the comment that they were having a tournament for an endangered species, which they weren't and I'm pretty sure none for blue fin exist.

Good thing they bonked one of the few fish of that size for it's species still left for a couple hero shots and a 'grand prize winner' status....not  :-[

As I said before, shitty... but I doubt it was for just a couple hero shots and a grand prize winner status.
One of those fish (especially one of that size) can easily fetch 700++ thousand dollars. Bet that's how he bought his new boat  ;D
Wrong no matter how you look at it... but I wont lie that I still may be tempted to do it for that price  :P

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »

I was just responding to the comment that they were having a tournament for an endangered species, which they weren't and I'm pretty sure none for blue fin exist.
Don't bet your money on it:

http://www.igfaoffshorechampionship.com/events/giant-bluefin-tuna-tournament

Google "blue fin tuna tournament". You will be surprised. And not in a pleasant way.

Cheers,

Milo

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »

I used to fish in a tuna tourament off Antiqua for a couple of years and sport fished for them on several occassions only once did I get close to keeping a bluefin, not all that big ,but never the less beat marlin hands down. caught a couple of yellowfin out of Antiqua but closer to Monserat. Then if you conected, when the price of bluefin was through the roof it could pay for your whole trip, wife and all. Last time I had a go was in 99 ,happens that also my significant other laid the law down and said "were getting hitched, legal like." dam coincidental ,I say!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

StillAqua

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:46 PM »

Last time I had a go was in 99 ,happens that also my significant other laid the law down and said "were getting hitched, legal like." dam coincidental ,I say!
Hooked and landed eh? ;D