Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011/12 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 213739 times)

Knife

Went out from 11:30 to 5:30, and visibility went from 1 1/2' to 6in. twice while we were there. Each time we just waited an hour and the water would clear up. It sure did rain hard on and off as well, so it is a tough call for Sat.
 Did manage to release a wild buck about 9 lbs. and a bull trout around 2 1/2 lbs. on a 6" pink worm. Managed to remove a hook from the back of the sleelhead that looked like it had been there for a few days.

Sandman

• Old Timer

i was fishing the vedder all day today, no bites and didnt see anyone get anything, though most people left when the downpour started from around 9:30am to at least 11:30.

I got mine about 11:30 in the lower river, just after that downpour.  Visibility was about a foot at the time.
Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions were good this AM and I was able to break my losing streak with a small wild doe. When I left around 10 the conditions were still OK but when having coffee around 11 we got a report the conditions went in the tank, because of a clay slide. I did not look to verify that. Snow level is low on the hills so it may improve again but we are having steady rain in the valley floor and sure was cold out there but that is steelhead fishing. ;D ;D

Knife

Sorry Sandman, I should have been more specific. Instead of using the term clear, I should have said water clarity went from 6" to over a foot. Obviously chunks of clay were falling into the river yesterday, just like today.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River did not look to bad when I checked an hour ago but as Knife says it comes around then goes out again as more clay falls in.

Finding Drennans floats remains good for me this season as while checking the water conditions this afternoon I found a 25 gram and also a Clear drift for good measure. ;D

fishforthought

i fished from the vedder crossing bridge up to alisons pool today, didnt get a bite, visibility was pretty good in the morning, i saw one old guy pull in a nice wild buck that had swallowed the hook and was bleeding bad

what do you think tomorrow will be like chris? is it worth a trip out there>?

hue-nut

• Old Timer

Chris do you you think that you can report every hour or so? Maybe also you could say if you were from:

Chilliwack would you go?
Abbotsford would you go?
Langley would you go?
Surrey would you go?
Vancouver would you go?

these being in relation to how much gas will cost of course :D

The conditions reports are great and appreciated but guys the way the river has been as of late it is very hard to tell what it will be like. So take a risk and waste some fuel, I burn about $15-20 every time I go

fishforthought

dont forget to add "if from maple ridge would you go?" haha

ill be there tomorrow again looking for my first winter steelhead

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Chris do you you think that you can report every hour or so? Maybe also you could say if you were from:

Chilliwack would you go?
Abbotsford would you go?
Langley would you go?
Surrey would you go?
Vancouver would you go?

these being in relation to how much gas will cost of course :D

The conditions reports are great and appreciated but guys the way the river has been as of late it is very hard to tell what it will be like. So take a risk and waste some fuel, I burn about $15-20 every time I go
You better buy us a under water camera. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

dont forget to add "if from maple ridge would you go?" haha

ill be there tomorrow again looking for my first winter steelhead
Water conditions were fine at dark.

yoda

water was great at end of day, managed about a 16lb wild at 3;30, and my buddy bonked a 9.6 hatch doe which he weighed in at fred's.

Da's me

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!

One wild to hand this morning in mid river. Water cleared nicely.

fullahead

Two wild ones released by 0830 am , Mid river. The river was in good shape.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:07:52 PM by fullahead »

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe

Reading your post........ It looks like you should not skip school. ;D :D
i only skipped because i had bin waiting six weeks for my custom pin.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

nickredway

• Old Timer

LOL!