Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011/12 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 213764 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water starting to color up when I left a few minutes ago was in nice shape most of the day with some good catchs too. I even had some chances but did not take advantage of them. :o ??? Was nice fishing in the snow too. ;D

hue-nut

• Old Timer

water turned to garbage! After hearing water was prime from a buddy this morning I ripped up to Tam only to find about 6" of vis, on up to Allison and saw a fair amount of color still, very nice but when I headed up to Borden saw that Ranger was puking gray. Ended the day around 5 at the crossing and the vis had deteriorated to about a foot. The river is very unpredictable these days. The graph is dropping, its cold, and should be mint but clay is still sliding into the river at random times. I would say its a toss up Hook, I'll probably slip out first light but may just have to fish the top end.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

water turned to garbage! After hearing water was prime from a buddy this morning I ripped up to Tam only to find about 6" of vis, on up to Allison and saw a fair amount of color still, very nice but when I headed up to Borden saw that Ranger was puking gray. Ended the day around 5 at the crossing and the vis had deteriorated to about a foot. The river is very unpredictable these days. The graph is dropping, its cold, and should be mint but clay is still sliding into the river at random times. I would say its a toss up Hook, I'll probably slip out first light but may just have to fish the top end.
With all the rain forcast and now falling it will be better to go to work. ;D or better still sleep in. ;D ;D

yoda

I agree chris, was out today. by 5pm in the lower it totally silted up.
Managed to get three to the beach today, 12lb hatch, and two wilds before the water went ugly:(
Oh well, got to wait for the river to go green again.

da's me

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Managed to get three to the beach today, 12lb hatch, and two wilds before the water went ugly:(

da's me
Nicely done, looks like everyone landed a fish but me yesterday. :o Will check conditions later but I think it will not be looking too good.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

da's me
Nicely done Yoda, Jealous!!   ;D... I think I may be done for the year... My back went out yesterday morning at work!   ???  So we'll see how long it takes to get back to where I could even think about walking the river let alone fighting a Steel.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I thought visibility was about a foot this am but while picking up one of the garbage bags I have hanging on the gate post above the BC Hydro Bridge an angler came up from the river and said it was around 2 feet. :-\

By the way who are the anglers who would throw a plastic bag with prawns in it into the bush at the parking lot as well as another with a container with some roe in it along with the usual coffee cups? I can never understand how fishers who you would think would enjoy a pristine environment to fish around could do this.

I guess they think there is people around that will be their garbage collectors. ??? ::) :'( :o

firebird

By the way who are the anglers who would throw a plastic bag with prawns in it into the bush at the parking lot as well as another with a container with some roe in it along with the usual coffee cups? I can never understand how fishers who you would think would enjoy a pristine environment to fish around could do this.

I guess they think there is people around that will be their garbage collectors. ??? ::) :'( :o

If that is what they are thinking, I wish they wouldn't throw it in the bush for our sake (I pick up crap too). Yes, the fishermen trashing their own playgrounds is bad but another thing that really baffles me is when people pick up their dog's turd in one of those little plastic bags, carefully twist tie it up, then fire it into the bush  ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

If that is what they are thinking, I wish they wouldn't throw it in the bush for our sake (I pick up crap too). Yes, the fishermen trashing their own playgrounds is bad but another thing that really baffles me is when people pick up their dog's turd in one of those little plastic bags, carefully twist tie it up, then fire it into the bush  ???
And in the river too. ??? The Master reports around 18 inches of visibility a couple of hours ago. Mild out now no rain but a with a strong west wind, means snow melt.

PistolPete

Chris what is this talk about melting snow? I am on day 3 in Mesa , Az
Went and watched Reds and Angels in the 30 degree heat. Kids loved
the snow CONES!!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River is sitting about 18 inches but is now raining hard again. Saw a fish lost while checking the conditions.

fishforthought

i was fishing the vedder all day today, no bites and didnt see anyone get anything, though most people left when the downpour started from around 9:30am to at least 11:30.

i was there from 830 to about 4 and the river was very murky

my first day fishing the vedder was a 7/10 experience with the scenery, beautiful fishing area being a 10/10 but the other fisherman making it a poor experience by lowholing me within my first hour, at least he left when the rain picked up :)

CohoMan

• Old Timer

Hi guys, anymore updates on river conditions?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Yes the river was getting murky when I left around 3, most likely caused by the heavy rain showers that fell during the afternoon.

I managed to hook one but lost it after a couple of head shakes. Having trouble holding on to them the last while. ::)

yoda

was out today in afternoon for a couple of hours, and water vis went downhill at about 3pm.
Unlike you chris, didn't even get a takedown. Kept looking at my boots and decided if i can't see them anymore, the fish are pretty well going to have to have my offering bump them on the head.  Hopfully the rain and slides subside.