Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marine Harvest propoganda  (Read 3261 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Marine Harvest propoganda
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »

I was cruising google for a project I am doing on harmful effects of net fishing and came across the marine harvest site. It is funny how much they advertise their 'generous' donations to various hatcheries and enhancement societies, yet they are the largest atlantic salmon farm company in canada...

http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/photo_gallery.php?q=Salmon%20Enhancement%20Photos/Conuma%20Hatchery%20Salmon%20Enhancement

this is a link to the page with all photos of donations they have made. I would much rather have no fish farms and no donations rather than fish farms and donations.

anorden

Re: Marine Harvest propoganda
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »

Every cloud has a silver lining though. For all the bad press they get, at least they are doing their bit to keep the seal population in check! If anything we should be thanking them.

http://www.canada.com/Marine+Harvest+predator+guards+praise+skepticism/5585436/story.html

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »

it seems paradox for them to support wild salmon enhancement when the competition for them is wild salmon. they just do it for publicity and tax write offs. but really they dont give a crap about wild fish. i read in one of mortons report a guy part of an enhancement program in clayoquot sound i believe when offered a donation from marine harvest said he would "rather pick my smelly socks with the chickens" then take money from them

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »

i read in one of mortons report a guy part of an enhancement program in clayoquot sound i believe when offered a donation from marine harvest said he would "rather pick **** with the chickens" then take money from them
how brilliant is that ;)  If any company, Marine Harvest included as I respect their operation, were to offer cash to further enhancement opportunities on the C-V for wild salmonids I would be all over it.  But, you said it came from a Morton report ... nuff said.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »

how brilliant is that ;)  If any company, Marine Harvest included as I respect their operation, were to offer cash to further enhancement opportunities on the C-V for wild salmonids I would be all over it.  But, you said it came from a Morton report ... nuff said.
Nice try. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »

sorry, I was sight fishing - saw an easy one ;)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »

I dont get why theres so many morton haters when shes trying to save the resource we all love

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »

You know the saying "The best defence is a strong offence."

The fish farms stand to lose a lot of $$$ if the farms are forced to go to closed containment. As more and more evidence of the carnage the farms are causing comes to light, defending their stand doesn't hold much credibility, so they attack the credibility of the person (Morton) who is talking about the carnage fish farms are causing.

Sometimes this tact works.... but Morton seems to be a pretty tough lady!

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

santefe

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »

I heard Craig Orr speak the other night about the Cohen Commission.  Quite some time ago I viewed some material on utube by 'Calling from the Coast'.  It showed sockeye smolts with seal lice infestations near the Discovery Passage which I believe happened to be near some fish farms.  Having thousands of Atlantic salmon confined in a small space is not natural.
Saying that I am a firm believer that net penned fish farms are bad for wild salmon.