Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I Have Pulled The Trigger?  (Read 3842 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Should I Have Pulled The Trigger?
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »

Last week while hunting for a buck I had only 4 blues to show for many miles driven plus saw a number of does and fawns. Also a moose I reported earlier, shot by a limited entry hunte.r Nice scenery was a bonus too
One evening not sure what day but I was coming out of a logging road near dusk, not dark and a deer jumps across the road in front of me. I stop the Leaf Mobile, grab the binoculars to check for horns. As I peer at the deer now standing on top of the road's bank I see a grey face and at least two horns, on each side. ;D

I slip the rifle out of its case and step out of the drivers seat, I walk towards the deer now looking at me. I slip one shell in and raise the scope and check for horns once again, just to be sure it is a buck.

The deer is about 35 yards away, the crosshairs are lowered to the quarries head, the safety is clicked off. I hesitate a bit, do I want to take this deer as it means I will have to clean it part way in the closing in darkness. One has to be carefull also a grizzly bear does not visit the scene. Hunters have been attacked and killed a few times too cleaning their animal.

As well I had a few days before I head for home, donot want to cut the trip short. Then Gwyn and I have a hunt planned where we always get a deer so if I took this deer I would not be able to take another, this trip is always a good time as we visit a ranch up north.

With this in mind I lower the gun and the movement seems to startle the animal and it bounds off into the woods not knowing how its day and life nearly came to an end. Of course I could have missed but at 35 yards I donot think so especially the way i was getting the grouse on the wing this year. ::) ;D

I hope the deer now survives and enjoys the season just around the corner ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Should I Have Pulled The Trigger?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:48:29 PM »

Good on you for letting him go Chris!

I enjoy the hunt and when the animal is in my sights it means the end of the hunt is near and of course the work begins. I let a bear walk this spring because of that.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:28:46 AM »

Me thinks you did the right thing Chris.  Karma will bless you in your next trip.  :)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »

That's as close as you can get to catch and release when it comes to hunting mammals it would seem!  Nice, Chris.  :)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 01:04:38 PM »

That's as close as you can get to catch and release when it comes to hunting mammals it would seem!

Sounds like you need little justification for your decision! For me, it is largely about Being There. Which translates to IF and WHEN I decide to shoot, that part is over. So I tend to let a lot go, C&R as it were. Extends the time out there, and certainly increases the odds of collecting a Biggie!  ;)

Hopefully the Goddess Of The Hunt pays back your Karma in this instance... In Spades that is!  ;D

ENJOY the rest of the season!

Cheers,
Nog