Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 dead wild coho and 1 dead wild steelhead  (Read 18792 times)

coho65

Re: 2 dead wild coho and 1 dead wild steelhead
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »

without more enfocement and a mandatory course for all anglers to take this kind of thing will keep happening.its a good thing that sport anglers catch less than 2% of the fish that enter the fraser!!!! The thompson steelhead will become extinct in 20 years  without some kind of hatchery program,if i'm not mistaken i think 600 spawners were coudnted this spring in the thompson watershed.for those of you wanting no hatchery program......its time to change your way of thinking before its to late.these early fall net fisheries combined with uneducated anglers are a recipe for destruction,we cant keep taking without giving back.......its time to start intensive hatchery programs before the fraser river watershed becomes th e newfoundland of the west

quill

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »

How will a steelhead hatchery solve the problem? Yes, it may provide some fish for anglers but it will not help wild steelhead. The opposite in fact.

500 spawners.

jeff

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »

I am glad to hear the Dfo came down I was one of the People who called the Rapp line I did my best to give the best description of the guys who killed the fish hoping they could find them.
Enjoying the water..........

coho65

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »

thompson river broodstock=thompson river steelhead.....quill,you can just watch them go the way of the dinasour then  ::)....thats what is happening  >:(

quill

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »

Sitting and watching is not an option. We haven't done all we can to save this wild stock. Don't give up so easily.  ;D

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »

Another steelie and two cohos wow. That just adds to the count. This fishery is a joke, I stopped fishing it this year, went out once this season and said I'm never going again.   

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »

Another steelie and two cohos wow. That just adds to the count. This fishery is a joke, I stopped fishing it this year, went out once this season and said I'm never going again.   

Declaring the fishery to be a joke and admitting you have participated in it says quite a bit about you......  not sure what to think.   ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »

Declaring the fishery to be a joke and admitting you have participated in it says quite a bit about you......  not sure what to think.   ::)

Your point? You think I care what you think? Especially coming from someone who doesn't even know me or let alone ever seen me? I'm a 14 year old kid, I didn't know the fish didn't bite until a year or two ago. A year or two ago I didn't even know how to fish roe, what short floating even was, wasn't into fly fishing, I had a hard time catching white springs on the Vedder, I would consider myself lucky to catch a pink. I got into it because my dad would fish it along with his friends. I would always catch whitefish while they would bounce. I was too little to bottom bounce so I always stood on the side waiting till the year my dad said I could fish it. I only got into it cause I have always been waiting to join the "big boys." Once I actually started this fishery, it wasn't what I thought, and now that I know more about whats going on, I stopped. Lately, almost 80% of the time I fish it, is cause my dad makes me go so we can keep more fish. Then last month, I got into an argument with him cause I said I dint want to snag fish anymore and that I actually like getting the fish to bite, even if it means sometimes catching less fish. Now that I actually know how to get fish to bite and can catch them without flossing, I stopped.

I would always release a fish, my dads the type of guy who has to keep a fish if he wants to go fishing. He is never going to go to a "C&R" river. That's where it all started, me bottom bouncing I mean. After seeing so many steelies and cohos killed, I couldn't take the gong show anymore. Now I sit home or go fish some local lakes or streams while he goes bottom bouncing. The reason I ever started fishing the Fraser is because my dad wanted to keep more fish.

I will never bottom bounce the Fraser again, and I made that promise to myself about a month ago. You can say everything you want to say or think what ever you want to think. I couldn't care less. Maybe next time you shouldn't make a comment like that about someone you dint know or have never met.  :-\  ::)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »

everyone knows what the fishery on the fraser is....its not the joke, the fisherman who can't identify what their killing are.

why there isnt a system put in place like in hunting, where you have to know all the species your targeting and pass an exam is beyond me.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »

Your point? You think I care what you think? Especially coming from someone who doesn't even know me or let alone ever seen me? I'm a 14 year old kid..........

I think you are over reacting....  Reread my comment.

All I did was repeat what you said. You are totally right to stop fishing the Fraser for sockeye if that's how you feel about it. As a 14 year old you obviously don't need to look after putting food on your table.... your dad does that for you.

Often people that voice their opposition to the sockeye fishery are like smokers that have stopped smoking....   They believe because they have stopped, everyone should stop and they often become obnoxious in their campaign.

There is nothing wrong with the sockeye fishery. It is a harvest fishery just like the commercial and FN fisheries are harvest fisheries. I also prefer having a fish bite my presentation when I'm sportfishing. However when I am harvesting fish for my freezer, canner or smoker, I want to harvest those fish legally in the most efficient manner available to me.

I hope you have an opportunity to have a conversation with your dad about the subject.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:27:46 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

I am glad to hear the Dfo came down I was one of the People who called the Rapp line I did my best to give the best description of the guys who killed the fish hoping they could find them.
Jeff, were you the guy I was talking to down there? We talked for a bit about the situation and shook hands as I had to leave in the boat.

jon5hill

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »

Your point? You think I care what you think? Especially coming from someone who doesn't even know me or let alone ever seen me? I'm a 14 year old kid, I didn't know the fish didn't bite until a year or two ago. A year or two ago I didn't even know how to fish roe, what short floating even was, wasn't into fly fishing, I had a hard time catching white springs on the Vedder, I would consider myself lucky to catch a pink. I got into it because my dad would fish it along with his friends. I would always catch whitefish while they would bounce. I was too little to bottom bounce so I always stood on the side waiting till the year my dad said I could fish it. I only got into it cause I have always been waiting to join the "big boys." Once I actually started this fishery, it wasn't what I thought, and now that I know more about whats going on, I stopped. Lately, almost 80% of the time I fish it, is cause my dad makes me go so we can keep more fish. Then last month, I got into an argument with him cause I said I dint want to snag fish anymore and that I actually like getting the fish to bite, even if it means sometimes catching less fish. Now that I actually know how to get fish to bite and can catch them without flossing, I stopped.

I would always release a fish, my dads the type of guy who has to keep a fish if he wants to go fishing. He is never going to go to a "C&R" river. That's where it all started, me bottom bouncing I mean. After seeing so many steelies and cohos killed, I couldn't take the gong show anymore. Now I sit home or go fish some local lakes or streams while he goes bottom bouncing. The reason I ever started fishing the Fraser is because my dad wanted to keep more fish.

I will never bottom bounce the Fraser again, and I made that promise to myself about a month ago. You can say everything you want to say or think what ever you want to think. I couldn't care less. Maybe next time you shouldn't make a comment like that about someone you dint know or have never met.  :-\  ::)

Proud of you.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »

I think you are over reacting....  Reread my comment.

All I did was repeat what you said. You are totally right to stop fishing the Fraser for sockeye if that's how you feel about it. As a 14 year old you obviously don't need to look after putting food on your table.... your dad does that for you.

Often people that voice their opposition to the sockeye fishery are like smokers that have stopped smoking....   They believe because they have stopped, everyone should stop and they often become obnoxious in their campaign.

There is nothing wrong with the sockeye fishery. It is a harvest fishery just like the commercial and FN fisheries are harvest fisheries. I also prefer having a fish bite my presentation when I'm sportfishing. However when I am harvesting fish for my freezer, canner or smoker, I want to harvest those fish legally in the most efficient manner available to me.

I hope you have an opportunity to have a conversation with your dad about the subject.

your comment seemed harsh.
sorry to hear you need to snag fish to put food on the table.
Does my "Tidal waters Sport fishing Licence" and "Non tidal Angling licence" alow me to partake in a harvest like the FN and commies??

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »

your comment seemed harsh.
sorry to hear you need to snag fish to put food on the table.
Does my "Tidal waters Sport fishing Licence" and "Non tidal Angling licence" alow me to partake in a harvest like the FN and commies??

If my comment seemed harsh it was only because I had repeated a harsh comment....

I don't know about your license, but my license allows me to partake in a harvest similar to the FN and commercial fisherman...  Only difference is I don't get to simultaneously catch multiple fish... nets are not legal under my license.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »

Not meaning to add to the hate here, but Alwaysfishin's comment was not really harsh. It was however 100% wrong and illogical, as how are you supposed to form an opinion on anything without knowing and experiencing it first? Well, that opinion would be uneducated. Fact is, the guy tried it and decided it wasnt cool. That he thinks its stupid, and that he tried it does not equate to him being apart of the problem he is against. It makes him educated in his opinion.

On topic, I feel the same way as I dont want simply kill a fish that is endangered or anything because I couldnt ID it. Even then, if I had the confidence that I could (Which will come with time) I dont want to risk harming one because I played him for too long or snag a belly or any other number of possibilities. But this IS an uneducated opinion, so maybe that will change in time, or I can gain the confidence and experience I need to properly target the right fish and fight them well.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!