Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 dead wild coho and 1 dead wild steelhead  (Read 18793 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
2 dead wild coho and 1 dead wild steelhead
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:00:41 PM »

at Peg Leg before 0830.  :-[ RAPP called and responded with 2 uniformed officers.  :)

awurban@msn.com

Re: 2 dead wild coho and 1 dead wild steelhead
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:04:08 PM »

tickets issued?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »

That would be a confirmed upper fraser watershed steelhead (thompson) one of my friends was there to witness the 'event'. What a joke...They need to close this BS fishery down. It was the same last year, leave it open into sept. and the protected low stocks of wild upper fraser fish get bonked. Certain people don't have decency to look at the regs and see what is a coho steelhead sockeye or chinook. They just kill. I've seen it out there and I've had the conversations at work. BB-ing is to target 1 thing, sockeye and when the public can't take on the responsibility to realize that and apply the technique when needed to only catch sockeye, then what is the point of the fishery. Its abusing the resource and the regulations. With a run of approx. 500 fish left, each one is needed. I'm sure a fair share of fish get 'released' after being shake and baked in the sand and stepped on in order to 'calm' them down so that the hook can be removed and they can be let free. I've witnessed it all from the shake and bake, to the curb stomp, the field goal kick back into the river, as well as the tuna torpedo straight into 1ft of edge water head first where the bottom lies solidly underneath. This is no laughing matter any more.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:30:17 AM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:10:15 AM »

That's a load of horse cupcakes, did they make any confiscations and/or give out fines?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:34:57 AM »

That would be a confirmed upper fraser watershed steelhead (thompson) one of my friends was there to witness the 'event'. What a joke...They need to close this BS fishery down. It was the same last year, leave it open into sept. and the protected low stocks of wild upper fraser fish get bonked. Certain people don't have decency to look at the regs and see what is a coho steelhead sockeye or chinook. They just kill. I've seen it out there and I've had the conversations at work. BB-ing is to target 1 thing, sockeye and when the public can't take on the responsibility to realize that and apply the technique when needed to only catch sockeye, then what is the point of the fishery. Its abusing the resource and the regulations. With a run of approx. 500 fish left, each one is needed. I'm sure a fair share of fish get 'released' after being shake and baked in the sand and stepped on in order to 'calm' them down so that the hook can be removed and they can be let free. I've witnessed it all from the shake and bake, to the curb stomp, the field goal kick back into the river, as well as the tuna torpedo straight into 1ft of edge water head first where the bottom lies solidly underneath. This is no laughing matter any more.

You are absolutely right in what you say.......   Now let's multiply that by several hundred and you can begin to understand the devastation that the commercial and native nets are having on the same resource..

You are suggesting that one single hole in a sieve, if plugged will make a difference. It won't. If those fish had of been released they likely would have died in a FN net further up river.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Nuggy

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:27:34 AM »

You do realize there have been commercial and FN openings going on right? Although unfortunate to hear about these fish getting the rock shampoo I would much rather have the commercial fleet and FN more closely monitored and regulated to minimize interception of high risk stocks. Instead of this logical approach we are left with bait bans for sporties and requests asking sporties to fish selectively....whatever the heck that is supposed to mean ::)

The abuses of the sport fishers on fish stocks are a shame...what`s really the big shame is DFO getting away with letting the large scale rape of the resource happen right before our eyes.... and they keep getting away with it year after year.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »

Sickening and Disgusting...if I was there I would have lost it! >:(

quill

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:12:45 AM »

Category(s):    COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
Subject:    FN0874-Salmon: Seine - Area B - Areas 29 - Fraser River Pink - Extension
Further to FN0864, the Area B Seines will remain open in Area 29 until Tuesday,
September 13. The daily opening and closing times and fishing areas remain in
effect.  Mandatory non-retention of sockeye remains in effect.

They don't stand a chance.  >:(

azafai

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »

at least a mandatory couple hours educational seminar should be involved in licencing not previously registered new anglers.

those commercial nets do not identify their catches either!

Peg Leg, Scale bar, and BB-ers are always easy targets.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:58:11 AM by azafai »

purplehelmet

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the feds put relatively little funding towards a resource we all find so precious.  As stated, some of this funding should go towards some kind of ad campaign telling people about fishing regs.  I don't know how many wild Coho I've saved f/ people whom don't know what "hatchery" even means.  I wonder how many tourists who camp near rivers just wander down there with there treble-hook lure & don't know what the hell they are doing.  Isn't enforcement/education money well spent considering how much $ anglers f/ here & elsewhere spend?
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »

Category(s):    COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
Subject:    FN0874-Salmon: Seine - Area B - Areas 29 - Fraser River Pink - Extension
Further to FN0864, the Area B Seines will remain open in Area 29 until Tuesday,
September 13. The daily opening and closing times and fishing areas remain in
effect.  Mandatory non-retention of sockeye remains in effect.

They don't stand a chance.  >:(
Good point- Dont expect any openings on the T this fall.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »

I would much rather have the commercial fleet and FN more closely monitored and regulated to minimize interception of high risk stocks.

Actually, I think they do a pretty good job with that. DFO Contracts out a third party who is responsible for hiring "at sea" and "dockside" fishery observers. These guys look at the fish that are coming onto the boats right at sea and at the processing plants and record any bycatches of concern and forward any violations to DFO fishery officers

quill

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »

The problem is that even with mandatory steelhead (and coho) release, revival boxes and brailing there's still a 25 percent by catch mortality rate with seiners. With gill nets it's about 65 per cent. With ignorant sport fishers 100 per cent apparently (not sayin' that applies to anyone here.)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

The commi's and the FN's are another threat, I'm not on here to bash everyone, I was just stating the point that applied to the situation at hand. If you look at the past, the Commercial openings off the south end of Van. Islnd. as well as the lower fraser have been reduced considerably. I was up taking a look at the fraser canyon this weekend and counted close to a dozen nets. never mind the ones on the way up there. There's no denying anything.
Fish killer 101

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »

tickets issued?
tickets issued?

I don't believe so. I was only there on a boating pit stop and left before officers arrived. I do know the landowners who own the vineyard to the west of the gravel access road. They said the officers used their land to access the bar and left carrying only the steelhead, but no gear or coho. I expect that they weren't able to identify the angler responsible.

For fisheries violations, I did learn however that RAPP is only for fish under provincial responsibility (i.e. steelhead). It appears that if I wanted to have the coho get looked at I should have made a call to DFO. From the RAPP webpage, "Use this form to report known or suspected violations of fisheries, wildlife, or environmental protection laws, except salmon-related violations which should be reported to Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) at 1-800-465-4336."