Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your favourite type of floats for salmon and steelhead fishing ?

Foam
- 52 (37.7%)
Plastic (Drennan, Cleardrifts)
- 61 (44.2%)
Balsa
- 18 (13%)
Cork
- 5 (3.6%)
Others
- 2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Author Topic: Floats  (Read 23062 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Floats
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 11:42:43 PM »

I personally really like the cleardrift for the price and the fact that its a local company. My only gripe is that rob does not make a 13 gram float with a blue top ::)

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:53 AM »

Freddy floats all the way ?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »

You just had to bring that up didn't you?   ;D  I agree - the cleardrifts are a good alternative to drennans.  I did have one leak on me, but that was after multiple trips.  One thing...I do prefer the red tops as the chartreuse tops can be very hard to see - esp. if there's glare on the water.

-- Funny about the chartreuse... I think it was added as several locals asked for the colour... probably for low light and not when glare on the water. This is one of the great things about local manufacturers... they can adapt if feasible to the local market.
--I have found that whatever one makes someone will want to customise it... which is great,  but the manufacturer cannot always provide every requested change. On the other hand Amundson rods got slammed by many for what they believed was copying local designed specialty rods.
--There are ways to give feedback.. I think  "I do prefer the red tops as the chartreuse tops can be very hard to see-esp. if there's glare on the water" is excellent informed feedback... as opposed to saying chartreuse is a crap colour and I don't know why anyone would be dumb enough to use it..   

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »

blaydRnr I have told the stores if some come back that have leaked to replace them there is a fine line.skaha you have added some very good comments thankyou. I always try to give what the fishermen want and I make it a point to strive for quality just ask my friends that I fish with!as I'am a fishermen and I take it very seriously.Now some people have asked for a 11g float I will be coming out with that soon.Thanks all for your comments.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »

blaydRnr I have told the stores if some come back that have leaked to replace them there is a fine line.

i understand about the fine line...i was more upset (based on principle) when they speculated i hit some rocks during my cast, even after i let them inspect the float...i suppose i could have push the issue, but for the 3 dollars and change, it wasn't worth it.

on a fair note, i've heard many friends stand by your product.

raptor

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »

Floats that I have been using and purchased in UK and they are either red or chartreuse in colour at the top.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »

Here’s a stealth posing with by catch.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »

Floats that I have been using and purchased in UK and they are either red or chartreuse in colour at the top.

Looking foward to finding a couple of those in a log jam this year. ;D ;D ;D

salmonlover

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »

Looking foward to finding a couple of those in a log jam this year. ;D ;D ;D

if you have some time you should take a picture of your 1500 floats be a sight to see.

chromer

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »

I like the foam DNE, Fred's straight though dink floats are good too. I've broken way too many Drennans, the zeppler tracks better thatn the piker  but is not as durable. They are both suseptable to breakage and fill with water. I recently picked up a couple of balsa DNEs and am going to give them a shot as I'm done wasting my money on the Drennens. I found a cleardrift in a jam and may give it a try as well but it looks like a round a 35gr float and I prefer 25-30gr.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »

I have a selection in the vest at al times>I like to match the float to water and surroundings.Clear float for clear-water.Grey foamy for water with some colour in open areas with an overcast sky..Green foamy for tinged water where the cedars crowd the banks/canyons.When the vis is around 3' the go to is a dne balsa,Weight wise I like to stay in the 20-25 gram range.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »

I just recently switched over from drennen to a cork float and absolutly love them. They are hand made by the guy that has built my new pin rod and they track way better then the drennens. I have now picked up about a dozen. I have hit many rocks with no problems unlike the drennens lol.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »

I just recently switched over from drennen to a cork float and absolutly love them. They are hand made by the guy that has built my new pin rod and they track way better then the drennens. I have now picked up about a dozen. I have hit many rocks with no problems unlike the drennens lol.
Looking foward to finding some of them, ;D ;D better put your name on them as they most likely are costly.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »

Here is a picture of one Chris. The builder has his initials on them. The next time I run into you I will make sure to give you one to try. The added weight of cork sure makes casting nice lol . And as far as price goes, they run about the same as a drennen but are almost bullet proof and the only way you will have to replace one will be if you break off above the float.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »

Here is a picture of one Chris. The builder has his initials on them. The next time I run into you I will make sure to give you one to try. The added weight of cork sure makes casting nice lol . And as far as price goes, they run about the same as a drennen but are almost bullet proof and the only way you will have to replace one will be if you break off above the float.

Very nice.