Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why It Is Best To Eat Fish You Catch  (Read 5007 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Why It Is Best To Eat Fish You Catch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:57 AM »

I never thought that the imported stuff was that bad...  :o

Thanks for the insight/link Chris.

Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

andychan

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »

Well this also opens up the can of worms debate about the ethical argument against catch and release. Which some say is just tormenting the fish. Thanks for the link.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »

propaganda to protect their own american market...you don't have to go overseas to point out problems with the farming industry...ladies and gentlemen, it's in our own backyard..not only with the seafood sector, but with the meat and agricultural as well.

lapetitebuse

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »

Maybe in some country they have the same documentary about albertan cattle feedlots...

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »

As has been said, more of the typical sky is falling hype and propaganda.

As for catch and release, no ethical issue fish do not feel pain as other animals and people do. Switzerland outlawed catch and release because the animal rights lobbied that nonsense about "cruelty to animals".
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »

As for catch and release, no ethical issue fish do not feel pain as other animals and people do. Switzerland outlawed catch and release because the animal rights lobbied that nonsense about "cruelty to animals".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm

Old news.  Fish do feel pain and do elicit measurable pain responses. Countless studies confirm it, look for yourself.

Suffering, that's another story.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »

and about the video...

of course it smacks of propaganda, but if you believe for one second that seafood imported from the "Chinas" of the world somehow undergoes some sort of special quality control to ensure its safe consumption, you're out to lunch!  Why would it undergo any more rigor safety constraints than the lead coated baby toys or toxic drywall did...

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm

Old news.  Fish do feel pain and do elicit measurable pain responses. Countless studies confirm it, look for yourself.

Suffering, that's another story.

So you link to an article that quotes Dr Lynne Sneddon. Perhaps it interests you to learn that Sneddon also writes "scientific reports" for several European animal rights organizations. Sneddon and I had it once out with each other on a BBC live show where she insisted that animal training is cruel because according to her animal training  by its very nature includes physical force and pain. When I, as a professional animal behaviourist, proved her point for point wrong with scientific facts she left the studio in a hissing fit. Of course if an animal is trained by a layperson then it is possible that pain is involved and that is wrong, but we were talking about professional circus animal trainers.

I could go on and explain in great detail about pain receptors and how many there are per square inch in a fish v. mammal or humans and how different brains register pain. Suffice to say that a fish does not perceive pain the way humans or mammals do. There are countless scientific research papers written by scientists that do not sit on a bandwagon that show fish been hocked several times within a couple of hours in a labor setting without registering any pain or prolonged discomfort. There is prove that a fish can suffer considerable negative stress when it is reeled in. Fish that have been reeled slowly "played" suffer almost no stress whereas fish that have been "horsed" in can suffer fatal stress.

As to the quote in the article where Sneddon mentions the acid test on fish. If a fish has its lips dowsed in acid it will be in discomfort since the acid affects a much larger body surface (more pain receptors registering) than a tiny puncture wound form a hook.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:25:45 PM by huntwriter »
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »

and about the video...

of course it smacks of propaganda, but if you believe for one second that seafood imported from the "Chinas" of the world somehow undergoes some sort of special quality control to ensure its safe consumption, you're out to lunch!  Why would it undergo any more rigor safety constraints than the lead coated baby toys or toxic drywall did...

i think you're missing the point...of course different world standards may lack in comparison to our own...but in reality it comes down to the bottom line.

wasn't it just a few years ago when the USDA condemned Canadian beef (coming out of Alberta) because of mad cow disease? if i recall the origin of the problem stemmed from one farm that was quickly quarantined...yet it took the US government over a year to lift their ban on Canadian Imported Beef...this was on the coat tail of the ecoli outbreak in the States during that same time period... i don't recall Canada imposing any moratorium on their industry (probably due to the threat of repercussion to other sectors of our own exports heading to the lower 49....ie  lumber).

my point is, let's deal with getting our fish farms in working order first before we take on the rest of the world...the way i see it, if an import product is deemed a "health hazard" our government should surely intervene...although we know it's always not the case.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:34:08 PM by blaydRnr »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »

I could go on and explain in great detail about pain receptors and how many there are per square inch in a fish v. mammal or humans and how different brains register pain.
You don't need to explain it to me, this was my major in university :)

Suffice to say that a fish does not perceive pain the way humans or mammals do.

Yup, I agree with you here.

I do not agree with Sneddon's take on perception of pain, I pointed out this study (and there are many more) that show a measurable aversive response to negative stimuli in fish is "old news" like I said.... so basically yes, obviously fish feel pain, it is a necessary evolutionary response... but do they feel pain...

I think we agree....!

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »

I'll never complain about "muddy trout" again

bklem

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »

I'll never complain about "muddy trout" again

;D  i was thinking something similar