Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decline in Steelhead  (Read 5226 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Decline in Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »

"What is clear is that with lower numbers of steelhead, the process of hybridizing increases. I have watched this happen for more than a decade on the Nitinat with the result that cuttbows now predominate over pure searuns. Hybridization also results from river degradation due to logging."

I had to read it twice to find the information: this is all there is about cross-breeding and decline of steelhead. Sounds a bit like impression, not science.

Jack Straw

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »

I have to agree Typhoon. I could not find any evidence in the article to support the authors claim of ' a decline in steelhead' or 'hybridization'. Personal experience & anecdotal evidence is interesting but when comparing the last 10 years to the thousands of cycles this river has went through over the millenia....it shows a need for more solid facts & numbers than one anglers observations, as intriguing as they are.
Please support your local wild steelhead

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »

Welcome aboard Jack Straw.  I concur, an interesting article but lacking anything you could take to the bank.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:56:25 AM »

Got to look at The Source fellas.  ;)
That particular individual is somewhat well known around the Island for writing about what he knows little. Really.

Cheers,
Nog

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »

That particular individual is somewhat well known around the Island for writing about what he knows little. Really.
X2

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:10:58 PM »

That is a poorly written article, it's surprising to see it in the Time Colonist. I read it a few times as an attempt to understand what Reid is trying to say. It didn't work. It seems like he collected a series of "facts" or his own observations and just listed them from the beginning to the end of the article. The conclusion is kind of strange, not even really relevant to the article itself.

lapetitebuse

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »

Is it true, though, that only 10% of steelheads go back and the rest die?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »

That is a poorly written article, it's surprising to see it in the Time Colonist. I read it a few times as an attempt to understand what Reid is trying to say. It didn't work. It seems like he collected a series of "facts" or his own observations and just listed them from the beginning to the end of the article. The conclusion is kind of strange, not even really relevant to the article itself.
You should read his books-total Bee Ess about fishing I mean some really idiotic statements about Salmon trolling.  ::)

buck

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »

Lapetitebuse

Information that I researched indicate kelt survival rates of 1- 10% and depends on system. Females tend to survive at a higher rate than males.