Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Denmark needs to smarten up - Dolphin Slaughter I've never seen so bad  (Read 4050 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

The pictures speak volumes.

This happens every year in Feroe Iland in Denmark. In this slaughter the main participants are young teens.

http://www.driftsurfing.eu/index.php/archives/3351

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Denmark needs to smarten up - Dolphin Slaughter I've never seen so bad
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:16 AM »

http://www.whaling.fo/

The link for the ministry of fishing and some background info. As they state:

The pilot whale hunt in the Faroes is, by its very nature, a dramatic and bloody sight. Entire schools of whales are killed on the shore and in the shallows of bays with knives which are used to sever the major blood supply to the brain. This is the most efficient and humane means of killing these animals under the circumstances, but it naturally results in a lot of blood in the water. It is also understandable that there have been many strong reactions to media reports and pictures of the hunt in other countries, especially in urban communities, where most people have never actually been witness to the slaughtering processes from which their own meat derives.

Sure looks like a bloodbath no matter how they slice it. We don't make cow slaughtering a public specticle so it's hard to make that comparison.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »

that is sickening

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »

as long as there doing something with them and not leaving to rot I dont have a problem
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »

The whaling site has some interesting notes on it....

specifically that the whale meat and blubber is a staple in the diet of the local peoples and that they have been actively looking at ways to minimize suffering of the animals.  How else would you kill them quickly, really....  they could be harpooning them and dragging them up on the beach more easily but it is not as humane as killing them with the blowhole hooks.  That surfing site seems to want to make it look like it is done for "fun" or as a rite of passage, which doesn't seem to fit the facts.

This is a whole lot different than the slaughter of pilot whales and dolphin in Japan.  Those animals suffer for a long, long time.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »

Very biased article...
Personally I wouldn't take for granted what they are saying, especially since there are tonnes of spelling/grammar mistakes in the article (seems rushed together).
Technically speaking this isn't really a credible source... and as long as they are using the meat, who are we to stop them?

Same thing that we do cows, pigs, chickens.
Only difference is that we don't do it out in the open. Guess they could drag the animals (suffering and suffocating) up to a slaughter house so that they can hide all the blood and make every one happy.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 07:15:33 PM »

Same thing that we do cows, pigs, chickens.
Only difference is that we don't do it out in the open. Guess they could drag the animals (suffering and suffocating) up to a slaughter house so that they can hide all the blood and make every one happy.

Exactly. I guess people think that steaks and chicken already come neatly packaged.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:12:56 AM »

Exactly. I guess people think that steaks and chicken already come neatly packaged.

Tell me about it..... veal cutlets anyone?

hohartmann

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »

just wrong :-\