Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TAILING STEELHEAD WITH A GLOVE...RIGHT OR WRONG ?  (Read 46705 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: TAILING STEELHEAD WITH A GLOVE...RIGHT OR WRONG ?
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »

Exactly, your brain interprets it. Same difference. Fish do not have the brain capabilities of higher organisms.

For example, when you touch something hot, you pull your hand away. But this does not happen because your brain feels pain - instead, it happens because of a reflex. The reaction to pull your hand away happens automatically thanks to nerve centres in your spine. Your brain is not involved. The heat activates the heat receptors in your hand, which send electrical signals to your spine. All by themselves, these nerve centres in your spinal cord activate the muscles that pull your hand away. This all happens without your brain being involved.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2006/09/15/1733327.htm

:P
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »

That explains a reflex, the very next paragraph after the one you pasted talks about from there the signal goes to the brain to make pain.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »

That explains a reflex, the very next paragraph after the one you pasted talks about from there the signal goes to the brain to make pain.

...but in part two he goes on to explain a study of rainbow trout that is supposed to show that trout can feel pain
Not all those who wander are lost

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »

Jeez guys, get over it.  Treat all fish you catch with the proper respect they deserve.  If you choose to kill a fish considered legal by regulation, do so quickly and humanely ... if a fish is to be released do it quickly and properly and with the least possible impact on it's survival, which in most cases means no gloves, no gravel rash, no gill exposure to anything but water... basically common sense.
If you think angled fish respond to pain perhaps it's time to consider your conscious and maybe, stop fishing ... many would thank you, mostly other anglers.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »

Jeez guys, get over it.  Treat all fish you catch with the proper respect they deserve.  If you choose to kill a fish considered legal by regulation, do so quickly and humanely ... if a fish is to be released do it quickly and properly and with the least possible impact on it's survival, which in most cases means no gloves, no gravel rash, no gill exposure to anything but water... basically common sense.
If you think angled fish respond to pain perhaps it's time to consider your conscious and maybe, stop fishing ... many would thank you, mostly other anglers.

Dave honestly this is a discussion forum and we are discussing this topic. If you don't have anything to contribute why post? We weren't talking about whether or not to fish or not due to them feeling pain but if they could feel pain period. The problem with the common sense idea is well most people have none  ::)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:48:15 PM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »

Jeez guys, get over it.  Treat all fish you catch with the proper respect they deserve.  If you choose to kill a fish considered legal by regulation, do so quickly and humanely ... if a fish is to be released do it quickly and properly and with the least possible impact on it's survival, which in most cases means no gloves, no gravel rash, no gill exposure to anything but water... basically common sense.

Hey, I didn't say it... it was those UK scientist that did.  You can turn a blind eye to any scientist that tries to show you otherwise, Dave, but it does not make it true just because you would rather not believe it.  I certainly feel better about hooking a wild steelhead I have to release, knowing it cannot feel pain, but that does not change the fact that it may indeed respond to pain, which might help explain why it runs and jumps so vigourously after being hooked (far more than a "reflex" response would explain).  Does that mean I am going to stop trying to hook them?  Not likely.  I am going to need a more definitive and irrefutable study, peer reviewed and replicated 100 times, before I believe it.
Not all those who wander are lost

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »

Sandman, you're but the messenger of this study and I know that.   Just saying that all anglers must make and live within their own moral code of fishing.  I don't know if fish feel pain but if they do I have caused much, to many fish.   I, like you, think they don't and that works for me.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »

Just having a discussion, if you don't like it don't partake.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

I certainly feel better about hooking a wild steelhead I have to release, knowing it cannot feel pain, but that does not change the fact that it may indeed respond to pain, which might help explain why it runs and jumps so vigourously after being hooked (far more than a "reflex" response would explain).  

If you're going about your daily business and someone leaps out from an alley and grabs you and tried to drag you into it, you'd probably thrash and kick and run as much as you could too.  Wouldn't matter if the mugger was hurting you or not.

It's called fight or flight and it has nothing to do with pain as far as I know.

Note - I'm not definitely saying fish do or do not feel pain, though I lean towards the fact that they do not... at least not in the sense that you or I do.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:18:53 AM by Tex »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »

Pain -> maybe or maybe not.

Suffering -> most likely.

So do your best to minimize (aka no gloves) and have fun  :)

Schenley

« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »

Damn-- I actually agree with Dave..... must be getting soft as its Christmas   ;D

Stuart Dickinson

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:32 AM »

I'll let you guys decide whether gloves actually harm fish or not  ::)
Friend does broodstocking, here is a fish that had a tailing glove used on it about 10 days earlier :

Let me remind you, this is in a controlled environment with antiobiotics.
I dunno but I would say that this causes WAY MORE harm that it does good.
I don't care how carefully you handle the fish before, the glove the glove will kill it!
Any argument you can make can't go against this, I would rather have tissue and muscle damage instead of having my skin peel off and rot.

PS Friend DOES NOT ever under any circumstances use a tailing glove. This was done by someone else.....  :'(

Wow, that 's quite a shocking photo!

nosey

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43:17 AM »

I've seen fish in the river with fungus on their tails that almost looked like hand prints, and I've had way more knowledgeable people than me tell me that removing the slime on the fish by using a glove causes these fungi, why would anyone take a chance on damaging a fish like that if the possibility is there that the gloves are causing such damage. Give me a break, it isn't that hard to tail a fish with your bare hands lot's of times you can just reach down with your hemostats and twist the hook out with out touching the fish at all. Every fish you land is under different circumstances but the need to use a glove just isn't there. If you have to tail it just wet your bare hand reach down grab it firmly, don't be a pussy and you'll have no trouble hanging on. Like I said if there's the slightest possibility the gloves are damaging the fish you release it's a no brainer just don't use one.